Laptop CPU Temperature

Roboslash1

Hi,

I was wondering if my cpu temperatures for a laptop would be ok.

40-45 idle

50 during everyday use

around 80 when gaming

94 when stressing the cpu at 100%

Temperatures in celcius.

Laptop - Clevo P640RE. 6700HQ and 970M

My gpu is considerably cooler than the cpu in games, around 5-10 degrees.

Thanks.

Desktop: Processor - Intel Core i7 5820K   Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3   RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 2400MHz DDR4   GPU - Gigabyte GeForce 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB Case - Fractal Design R4 Window   Storage - x1 WD Green 1TB, x1 WD Green 2TB, x1 Samsung 850EVO 120GB, x1 Kingston SSDNow 120GB  PSU - Cooler Master B700 (700W)   Displays - x1 Dell E2214H, x2 Dell 1908FP-BLK   Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011  

Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Expert 2014   Mouse - Razer Deathaddder 2013   Speakers - Logitech Z906 5.1 OS - Windows 10 Pro   Headphones - Steelseries 9H, Sennheiser Momentum

While yes that is hot, it is normal for high powered laptops like yours.

i9-11900K @ 5.1ghz;   RTX 3090 FE @ 2ghz;   ROG Maximus XII Hero;   4266mhz G.Skill 16GB DDR4;

2 minutes ago, auraofjason said:

While yes that is hot, it is normal for high powered laptops like yours.

Yeah, I'm only familiar with desktops, and my laptop's max temp was over my desktop by a mile. But I guess it's not comparable as all the components are stuffed inside a much smaller housing.

Desktop: Processor - Intel Core i7 5820K   Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3   RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 2400MHz DDR4   GPU - Gigabyte GeForce 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB Case - Fractal Design R4 Window   Storage - x1 WD Green 1TB, x1 WD Green 2TB, x1 Samsung 850EVO 120GB, x1 Kingston SSDNow 120GB  PSU - Cooler Master B700 (700W)   Displays - x1 Dell E2214H, x2 Dell 1908FP-BLK   Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011  

Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Expert 2014   Mouse - Razer Deathaddder 2013   Speakers - Logitech Z906 5.1 OS - Windows 10 Pro   Headphones - Steelseries 9H, Sennheiser Momentum

laptops are generally designed to go right against that magical TJmax number, mostly because lowering temperature would mean louder, or a bigger cooler (thus a bigger laptop)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

laptops are generally designed to go right against that magical TJmax number, mostly because lowering temperature would mean louder, or a bigger cooler (thus a bigger laptop)

Ok. Thats good to know. 

But one question. Is it worth to repaste the laptop? I have seen videos and repasting the laptops can lower temperatures significantly.

3 minutes ago, Roboslash1 said:

Ok. Thats good to know. 

But one question. Is it worth to repaste the laptop? I have seen videos and repasting the laptops can lower temperatures significantly.

honestly, i feel a lot of those people repasting laptops are missing out some key elements from their videos.

if it's fresh out the store its not worth repasting, dont be an idiot and void your warranty for something thats not necessary.

if it's older and no longer has warranty, chances are that thermal issues are dust related, and not thermal paste related.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

honestly, i feel a lot of those people repasting laptops are missing out some key elements from their videos.

if it's fresh out the store its not worth repasting, dont be an idiot and void your warranty for something thats not necessary.

if it's older and no longer has warranty, chances are that thermal issues are dust related, and not thermal paste related.

Yes, I just read the manual and it stated if you open up the computer, it would void your warranty. Ok, I guess I'll repaste it when the warranty runs out.

2 minutes ago, Roboslash1 said:

Ok, I guess I'll repaste it when the warranty runs out.

do.not.repaste.your.laptop.

its not worth it, it never was, it never will.

i bet half of the people boasting about repasting their laptop fixing thermal issues completely ignored the dust coming out in the process.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

do.not.repaste.your.laptop.

its not worth it, it never was, it never will.

i bet half of the people boasting about repasting their laptop fixing thermal issues completely ignored the dust coming out in the process.

I agree, but this guy had quite some success re-pasting the laptop I have. But I won't anyway.

4 minutes ago, Roboslash1 said:

I agree, but this guy had quite some success re-pasting the laptop I have. But I won't anyway.

also, quote from the video: "repasting and dropping the voltage by.."

NO SHIT SHERLOCK YOU DROP THE VOLTAGE AND IT LOWERS TEMPS

i seriously worry about the kind of people bringing out information about laptops these days.

i bet at some point people are gonna bake new GPUs onto their dead laptops again...

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

also, quote from the video: "repasting and dropping the voltage by.."

NO SHIT SHERLOCK YOU DROP THE VOLTAGE AND IT LOWERS TEMPS

i seriously worry about the kind of people bringing out information about laptops these days.

i bet at some point people are gonna bake new GPUs onto their dead laptops again...

LOL.

And as a last question:

Undervolting the cpu also affects the warranty?

1 minute ago, Roboslash1 said:

LOL.

And as a last question:

Undervolting the cpu also affects the warranty?

pretty sure you cant undervolt most laptops without hacking the bios..

which.. i guess you know what that implies ;)

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

pretty sure you cant undervolt most laptops without hacking the bios..

which.. i guess you know what that implies ;)

Yup.

Thanks for the help.