How to get guitar audio to pc?

Hello everyone!

I'm wondering how to get my guitar audio to my pc.

I play electrical guitar, so I'm using an amplifier. But I can't seem to find how to get the audio to my pc. Currently I'm just recording the output of my amplifier with my laptop, which obviously isn't ideal.

I'd like to know how to get the audio to go from my guitar, or amplifier straight to my pc. I don't know if this is possible, but I assume it is, to output it to my pc so that I can apply real-time effects while I'm playing. If that's even possible, I assume I need software for that, so if someone could tell me what would be a good piece of software, that would also help.

I hope I'm making clear what I want, and if not, please, ask me for clarification.

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What cable? XLR or 1/4

Look for usb audio interface.

I'm using 1/4 cables.

You need a USB audio interface. Though it will probably sound pretty bad I'd get at least a preamp too unless you go full simulation (Preamp, amp and cabinet and mic simulation) which can sound good...in the mix...if you spend some time tweaking and are pretty familiar with the basics of mixing.

But yea bare mínimum is usb audio interface. Get it from a music store though most electronic stores have fairly crap interfaces.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What do you need to get the audio to your PC for? Recording, practicing, what?

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

What do you need to get the audio to your PC for? Recording, practicing, what?

Well, I'd like to get the audio to my PC for recording purposes. I'd like to record multiple tracks, and apply effects to the guitar and so on.

21 minutes ago, h3rm3s said:

Well, I'd like to get the audio to my PC for recording purposes. I'd like to record multiple tracks, and apply effects to the guitar and so on.

Easiest way to do that is to buy one of the Focusrite Scarlet (2i2 or something rather) interfaces and use something like Positive Grid's Bias FX/Amp software, which when you figure out how to use is a really good amp sim that's used by even professionals. Focusrite includes a lite version of Cubase or Pro Tools in their interface packages (can't remember which one) which is more than enough for what you need it to do.

It'll cost a bit but it's worth it since it'll sound good, in my opinion.