Gaming PC Build : Complete Beginner Builder

Tissue

Hey!

I am new to these forums, but have been watching the Youtube Channel for a while now. I have taken an interest in building my own gaming PC, both for the savings and the challenge. I will be ordering all my parts (PC only) off of Amazon.co.uk with shipping to Ireland. My budget is about £850. I have absolutely zero experience with this sort of thing. I would like to be able to run the top games at highest quality 1080p. Here's a list of parts that I have composed over the past weeks:

Power Supply:

EVGA 650 W G2 GOLD 80+ Modular PC Power Supply Unit

RAM:

HyperX FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 1866 MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit - Red 

Processor:

AMD FD8370FRHKHBX Cooler for CPU - Silver

Motherboard:

MSI 970 Gaming AMD AM3 GBE LAN ATX Motherboard

Case:

NZXT S340 White Mid Tower PC Case 

Storage:

Western Digital WD10EZEX Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache SATA 6.0 GB/s 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive 

Kingston SSDNow UV400 240 GB Solid State Drive 2.5 inch SATA 3 Stand-Alone Drive 

Graphics Card:

MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G Radeon R9 390 Graphic Card - 1.06 GHz Core - 8 GB R9 390 GAMING 8G

Extras:

Arctic Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

That's it! I do have a few questions and would really appreciate any advice you guys would have on the above build:

• Will the components work together?
  • Will there be any compatibility issues/BIOS updates required?
  • Will the PSU supply enough power to run the system comfortably?
  • Will there be overheating/a need for further cooling?
  • Is the Wraith Cooler enough?
  • Am I missing anything to run the system?
  • Are there any safety precautions I should be aware of when building/Is it dangerous?

Thanks again for taking the time to read this post! I don't really know what I am doing and don't want the panic of ordering the parts to find out it doesn't work in the finish!

-Tissue :)

For £850 you could easily go for intel, of course if you want, am i5 would give you better performance. Also, you may want to wait for some good custom RX 480. 

My suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£170.96 @ More Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock B150 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£88.20 @ More Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£56.99 @ Novatech) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£74.27 @ BT Shop) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  (£219.99 @ Amazon UK)  - Subject to change depending on other custom models. 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£59.99 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£74.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £785.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 22:12 BST+0100

You could even get a 6600K and a cheap Z170 board if you're interested in overclocking, but it would be a little over your budget, not so much tho, maybe like 870 pounds. 

apparently the wraith cooler is better than most decent aftermarket coolers so you should be fine, and that psu should be fine, EVGAs G2 line is top notch, just don't build it on carpet and if you're ghetto like me you can plug the psu in and use that to keep yourself grounded, bonus points if you strap it to your leg xD

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Yes, definitely use pcpartpicker...

For 800 Euros I would suggest going with Intel. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to afford a z97 motherboard and an i5 which should easily outperform what is currently there. 

Also, you don't need to buy thermal compound if you're using the stock cooler that comes with the cpu!

First builds are excited! Good luck!

Thanks guys! I noticed you were saying Intel processors outperform AMD. The AMD has 8 cores and a higher frequency. Does that matter?

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice and will look into Intel processors. :D

10 minutes ago, Tissue said:

Thanks guys! I noticed you were saying Intel processors outperform AMD. The AMD has 8 cores and a higher frequency. Does that matter?

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice and will look into Intel processors. :D

No this is faulty logic...

An i5 with 4 cores will outperform an AMD with 8 cores...

Only compare cores and speed within brands... Intel 8 core > Intel 4 core

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

6 minutes ago, Tissue said:

cores and clocks aren't all that matters, intel has amd beat on instructions per clock (IPC) enough that it performs better at lower clocks in single core performance, it's kinda like intel's a 200mm bitfenix spectre pro, and amd's a delta 120 mm fan, that small fan can still get things going, but it has to push really hard to keep up with the bigger one. But if you were going to do a lot of video editing and rendering the extra cores of the AMD should more than make up for the slower single core performance, but gaming is mostly about a couple cores and how fast they are (IPC x Core clock)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

14 minutes ago, Tissue said:

It has more cores, however single-core performance is tragic, so 4 intel cores > 8 amd cores. 

You can go with an i5 6500 and different motherboard if you want to make it cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£199.99 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£27.98 @ Novatech) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£84.95 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£68.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£52.89 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£51.86 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Other: Sapphire Nitro RX 480 (£249.95)
Total: £847.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-04 22:50 BST+0100

Thanks again!

Also, I want to avoid liquid cooling of any kind, for fear of leaks! :0

Quick question: Will this PC be good for general use as well?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Tissue said:

Thanks again!

Also, I want to avoid liquid cooling of any kind, for fear of leaks! :0

Quick question: Will this PC be good for general use as well?

Thanks!

Sure it will! If it's good for gaming, it can't be bad for general use :D Don't worry, we did not include liquid cooling on any of our lists. Check out the build that @lee32uk posted, it looks pretty good! 

Great thanks! The RX 480 looks great but it doesn't have any fans on it. Are there any models made by MSI or EVGA etc. that have better cooling?

Regards,

Tissue.

2 minutes ago, Tissue said:

Great thanks! The RX 480 looks great but it doesn't have any fans on it. Are there any models made by MSI or EVGA etc. that have better cooling?

Regards,

Tissue.

I am not sure if they are out yet, but sure, they will be availible soon. 

Thanks very much! Might wait for one of those!

54 minutes ago, Tissue said:

Regards,

Tissue.

The one in my spec is an aftermarket version (Dual fan) but it is pre-order. Sapphire are also one of the best brands when it comes to AMD graphics cards.

Cool, thanks a lot! :D Hopefully I won't need to wait long for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again!

Just a quick question, is the XFX R9 390 a solid card? I heard some rumours of coil-whine and FPS drops. Should I opt for the GTX 970 instead? Or is the 8 GB VRAM needed?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Tissue said:

Hey again!

Just a quick question, is the XFX R9 390 a solid card? I heard some rumours of coil-whine and FPS drops. Should I opt for the GTX 970 instead? Or is the 8 GB VRAM needed?

Thanks!

Both are pretty equal at 1080p but I guess it will depend on the game. As for coil whine that is just pot luck. I personally would go with the R9 390 over the GTX 970 if you don't want to wait for the RX 480. 

Just stick with Sapphire, MSI and XFX for AMD and make sure you get one with an aftermarket cooler.

Something like this:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/P27CmG/sapphire-video-card-100382ntoc2l

Great thanks a lot! Will probably go with the XFX R9 390. Also, does PC Part Picker look at whether the GPU fits in the case?

Thanks a million!

4 minutes ago, Tissue said:

Great thanks a lot! Will probably go with the XFX R9 390. Also, does PC Part Picker look at whether the GPU fits in the case?

Thanks a million!

Almost all modern cases cater to longer videocards. So you should be fine.

On 7/14/2016 at 2:29 PM, Tissue said:

Thanks a million!

The Phanteks P400 Eclipse (If you go for that) will take a gpu up to 395mm and the XFX R9 390 is 295mm so it will fit fine.