GTX 1070 or....

Mekel
Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,
15 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

If it's any card it will be the 1070 Xtreme. The 1070 is on some pretty early drivers vs the mature 980ti drivers. If you'd pay attention to drivers. 

in fact, most people who know that kind of stuff seem to say that Pascal is just a ''shrunken'' maxwell architecture and that the driver optimisation should affect/benefit both pretty much the same way...so in a way pascal drivers should be considered to be quite mature already...and maxwell cards should not suffer from the kepler syndrom this time around.

10 minutes ago, Mekel said:

1.   https://www.amazon.com/Acer-S230HL-1080p-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B005Q5F7KM

2. Most games I play are Arma 3, KF2, Fallout 4, PlanetSide 2, and some others.

awwwhhh man...you don't need that much GPU horsepower to drive a 1080p monitor in those games...most of these games are CPU bound anyways...lol...in fact all these games you mentionned there are very CPU heavy and will not greatly benefit from a super high-end graphics solution...i think you should wait for the GTX 1060 or something...unless money is not a problem and you want to future-proof yourself for a very long time...or maybe you plan to up your game one notch and get to 1440p or 4K gaming in the near future or something...all i'm saying is that such a powerful graphics card is not needed for those games at that resolution.

23 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's really not that much i tell you that...many reviewers who tested the cards at overclocked settings (which is what you should do IMHO...that's the only way to see what those chips are really capable off) they all concluded that performance wise it's pretty much the same...and i agree with that since my own testing when i compare to unigine and firestrike and some gaming benchmarking runs i did just for the lolz to compare all show me that my card in it's overclocked configuration is as fast as an overclocked GTX 1070...so a good one.

Ok yes, I can agree that the performance between them when both oc'd is roughly the same, I was just going off the graphs that @Pohernori supplied... However that does not remove the point that the 1070 has 2gb more vram in ddr5 which is running faster, runs cooler and is on the new architecture. Yes the 980ti can preform the same, however it does pull alot more power and run alot hotter amongst the other downsides... In the end it really depends on the constraints of the system and the amount each card costs.

21 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yea. Go find another 1070 that'll go above 2.1Ghz on air. Gaming X is already clocked at 2.1Ghz. If you'd read the article. 

Come back when you can read the graph properly. 

Yea true, only when its AMD that you'll say that the heat output causes global warming 9_9

I was looking at the performance difference between a OC'd 1070 and a normal 980ti, Yes when both OC'd they have roughly the same performance. But again there are other things to consider between the cards.

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

8 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Ok yes, I can agree that the performance between them when both oc'd is roughly the same, I was just going off the graphs that @Pohernori supplied... However that does not remove the point that the 1070 has 2gb more vram in ddr5 which is running faster, runs cooler and is on the new architecture. Yes the 980ti can preform the same, however it does pull alot more power and run alot hotter amongst the other downsides... In the end it really depends on the constraints of the system and the amount each card costs.

can't agree more...the real benefit from the 1070 is it's noticeably lower power consumption resulting in lower operating temperature if equivalent cooling solution is used, and noticeably lower heat signature. The extra 2gb of memory IMHO not going to be used any time soon unless you do 4K with 2 cards in SLI or something...6GB is plenty...and RAM speed...well that can be overclocked too...my card has it's GDDR5 memory running at 8400mhz which is actually faster than that of the 1070.

1070 boast a set of new features as well...namely VR oriented stuff such as lens matched shading and simultaneous multi-projection...which help in VR applications and multi-monitor setups. They also seem to do a little bit better in DX12 titles...them having a higher level of pre-emption.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yea. Go find another 1070 that'll go above 2.1Ghz on air. Gaming X is already clocked at 2.1Ghz. If you'd read the article. 

If it's any card it will be the 1070 Xtreme. The 1070 is on some pretty early drivers vs the mature 980ti drivers. If you'd pay attention to drivers. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

AMD though...they have cards that could compare in terms of heat and power consumption to the big maxwell chip...the R9 390X for example...this is a card that has similar power and thermals numbers to the 980ti/titanX

And yet only AMD cause global warming, Yea must be true 9_9

6 minutes ago, Inrix said:

How cool it runs depends on the card itself

Msi 1070

temp.png

Zotac 980 Ti

temp.png

Msi 980 Ti

temp.gif

You don't need to worry about OP's system. If it can power a 770, it can power a 980 Ti. Unless OP was living on the edge by going with a CX. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Also guys just chill no need for raging debates..... -.-

15 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

in fact, most people who know that kind of stuff seem to say that Pascal is just a ''shrunken'' maxwell architecture and that the driver optimisation should affect/benefit both pretty much the same way...so in a way pascal drivers should be considered to be quite mature already...and maxwell cards should not suffer from the kepler syndrom this time around.

10 minutes ago, Mekel said:

awwwhhh man...you don't need that much GPU horsepower to drive a 1080p monitor in those games...most of these games are CPU bound anyways...lol...in fact all these games you mentionned there are very CPU heavy and will not greatly benefit from a super high-end graphics solution...i think you should wait for the GTX 1060 or something...unless money is not a problem and you want to future-proof yourself for a very long time...or maybe you plan to up your game one notch and get to 1440p or 4K gaming in the near future or something...all i'm saying is that such a powerful graphics card is not needed for those games at that resolution.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

Oh wow, pascal has their own special drivers now? 9_9

2 minutes ago, Mekel said:

Also guys just chill no need for raging debates..... -.-

This benefits you though. We're having this debate so that you can make a more informed decision. Rather than just a "Get the 1070" 

The last time people did that 3.5/4 happened ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

How long is it on average is future proof?

1 minute ago, Mekel said:

How long is it on average is future proof?

at 1080p i would say a card such as the GTX 1070 should drive just about any games out there on max or near max settings 60FPS+ for at least a couple years.

What does the rest of your machine looks like? CPU, RAM motherboard PSU?

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

at 1080p i would say a card such as the GTX 1070 should drive just about any games out there on max or near max settings 60FPS+ for at least a couple years.

What does the rest of your machine looks like? CPU, RAM motherboard PSU?

CPU: i7-6700k

RAM: 2x8

MB: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX

PSU: 750W

If yo got the buck to drop on a 1070, do it. It's a pretty cool card but you gotta ask yourself what's your need for your gpu. Are you planning to play games max out settings at 1440p? Then 1070 it is.

But if you're more on a budget, wanna play 1080p cranked up or some high 1440p or wanna upgrade and spare some bucks for games, then, you can consider the RX480.

Either way, it's gonna be a upgrade from your 770. Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, Mekel said:

alright then...the rest of your machine is high-end...so a GTX 1070 in there would make sense if you're serious about getting a good gaming experience in modern demanding games for a long time and not worry about when you will upgrade your GPU next time...but i would still recommend a 1440p monitor for gaming along with the 1070...maybe consider it as a future upgrade or something because 2560x1440 at 27'' is quite something as compaired to the monitor you have right now....it,s not mendatory, but IMHO you will not see what this card is really capable of...and what modern games could/should look like until you get a monitor to match.

good luck!

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Which mobo is that? Anyway, I think a 1070 would suit your system perfectly.

i have a 1070 and VR, works great 

upgraded from a 290

and running bf1 quite well (all im gonna say since im on nda)

13 hours ago, Mekel said:

Because you're gaming on a 1080p display @60Hz, i recommend sticking with your GTX 770 for now.

I can't in all good conscious recommend a 1070 (even though it's the best value card right now with tons of horsepower) knowing you'd only be using it on a 1080p @60Hz.

I actually recommend, and looking at your post history, investing that money into upgrading your CPU+MOBO to something better than an FX 8320.

If that's not an issue, i'd recommend investing in a better display. 

A 1070 will max out games at 1080p 60Hz no problem for quite some time, but i really think you would benefit more from an upgrade in other areas.

Steam Sale is kinda shit btw, really disappointing, i wouldn't go on a spending spree with the current sale.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

On 7/2/2016 at 11:19 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

It's the future...we don't know what will come for drivers so good luck with that crystal ball of yours...

On 7/2/2016 at 11:23 PM, Pohernori said:

Oh wow, pascal has their own special drivers now? 9_9

Oh wow different cards have exactly the same drivers now? 9_9

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

9 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

It's the future...we don't know what will come for drivers so good luck with that crystal ball of yours...

456 posts and you should stop that there..

9 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

rwrttt.jpg

werwrttt.jpg

9_9

3 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

456 posts and you should stop that there..

I stop when I want to stop ?. 

2 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Snip

Ahhh ignorance ☺️