High end rig, cannot get stable 60fps

Kurt101
Go to solution Solved by Guest Kloaked,
2 minutes ago, Kurt101 said:

Gpu usage average 44% cpu 24% medium settings, and noticing huge fps spikes from 60-44 

Okay so for some reason your system isn't using your hardware to it's fullest. I would do a CMOS reset, go back and overclock your CPU again, and then see what happens when you try running a game. Resetting the CMOS won't affect your video drivers if you don't already know, so don't worry about that.

Hello, first lets start this off by saying, i have a high end rig with the following specifications:

-intel 6700k

-gtx 980 ti (msi white oc edition to be accurate)

-16gb of corzair ram 2400hmz

-msi gaming pro motherboard

-intel 750ssd 400gb

-1tb western black harddrive

-2tb harddrive

-corsair 750watt psu

I have monitored both my cpu and gpu settings and they are always under 80 degrees celsius. Any game i play i cannot get a stable 60 frames per second ( fps constantly dropping from 60 downwards) on medium settings, at a resoultion of 2560x1440. Here are the games i am having the issues with:

-the witcher 3

-total war WARHAMMER

-dying light

-dark souls 3

-even minecraft (yes i know, i have not played it for a long time but still, seriously minecraft?)

I would appreciate any help, also please note i have had to reinstall windows 10 many times because of other problems, ive used diskpart everytime, (windows not letting me install to disk) king regards Kurt

Sorry forgot to mention windows 10 is installed to ssd drive.

Did you install the video card drivers?

Thankyou for responding, yes i have latest aswell

3 minutes ago, Kurt101 said:

Thankyou for responding, yes i have latest aswell

Can you look at your CPU and GPU usage while in game, not just your temps?

Gpu usage average 44% cpu 24% medium settings, and noticing huge fps spikes from 60-44 

Also tested the witcher 3 on high settings this time, 85% average gpu 37% average cpu, constant lag and fps drops every few seconds. I tested this yesterday btw for about 45mins

Okay so for some reason your system isn't using your hardware to it's fullest. I would do a CMOS reset, go back and overclock your CPU again, and then see what happens when you try running a game. Resetting the CMOS won't affect your video drivers if you don't already know, so don't worry about that.

As far as I know a 980 Ti won't run Witcher 3 on stable 60 fps at all times on ultra settings. 

Im experienced with computer i am aware of the cmos jumper, thanks for the reply also to cavi, its not ultra but high, even when i set it to low it still lags awfully

I would also like to ask, could faulty hardware be the issue? my computer was shipped with a broken harddrive and i had to get a replacement so it is very likely something else could of got damaged.

@Kurt101If the gpu usage isnt close to 100% then there is something funny going on with the video drivers. Also I doubt it is hardware related, as hardware usually works, or it dosent. there isnt usually an in between where a faulty gpu for example would give you bad fps.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

1 minute ago, Kurt101 said:

I would also like to ask, could faulty hardware be the issue? my computer was shipped with a broken harddrive and i had to get a replacement so it is very likely something else could of got damaged.

Maybe, but if the game even boots and doesn't crash on it's own then I don't think it's a hardware issue per-se, personally. Unless something is up with the PSU not putting out enough power, but I doubt that's the case.

I'm 99% sure it's something software related.

ok thankyou, i will try the cmos reset and i will also completely uninstall my nvidia drivers, thankyou for your time and help, honestly i spent alot of hard earned cash on my pc, and to see so many problems come with it is ashame. Have a nice day :)

ok thankyou, i will try the cmos reset and i will also completely uninstall my nvidia drivers, thankyou for your time and help, honestly i spent alot of hard earned cash on my pc, and to see so many problems come with it is ashame. Have a nice day :)

Issues happen. Nothing you can do to avoid it, sadly. I sat in front of an Ubuntu machine I built for a company for about five hours trying to figure out why it was stuck in a login loop. I neglected to look at the troubleshoot log and when I did, I discovered it was a simple fix by reinstalling video drivers. I felt like an idiot.

You might discover what it is and it'll be so simple, haha.

Thanks haha, oh wait did i accidentally switch to my internal gpu in the bios settings, woops oh well xD got to go know however, its 1am bye