My first shot to PC gaming

DarkCo

My goal with this build is to have an entry level PC, not just for gaming, also some light video editing and animation. I’m aiming to achieve 60+ fps at 1080 on most games (but mostly e-sportsy games, such as LoL, SC2, etc.)

In terms of budget, anywhere between 900 and 1000 dollars is fine. I’m buying in Amazon Mexico, since I live in Mexico, but I can buy in any other web retailer that either is in Mexico or ships here.

As of today this is what I figured out could work, but since I really don’t have any experience in PC building I’m looking for some help

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12

Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB (Turbo edition)

Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W

Thank you! n.n

2 minutes ago, DarkCo said:

My goal with this build is to have an entry level PC, not just for gaming, also some light video editing and animation. I’m aiming to achieve 60+ fps at 1080 on most games (but mostly e-sportsy games, such as LoL, SC2, etc.)

In terms of budget, anywhere between 900 and 1000 dollars is fine. I’m buying in Amazon Mexico, since I live in Mexico, but I can buy in any other web retailer that either is in Mexico or ships here.

As of today this is what I figured out could work, but since I really don’t have any experience in PC building I’m looking for some help

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12

Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB (Turbo edition)

Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W

Thank you! n.n

Personally I would go for a RX 480 (don't bother about the controversy about it destroying mobos) Same price as that 960 and it competes with a 970.

I mostly just copied all of your parts into PCPartPicker to make things easier to work with but also changed a few parts.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Mqf8K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Mqf8K/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.69 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($73.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($92.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  ($272.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $929.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-02 14:27 EDT-0400

• Changed the cooler to something a bit more attractive and cheaper (not in stock on any stores for some reason but it should be on Amazon) (edit: prices on it are being really weird, if you scroll down on NewEgg you can find it for $30)
  • You might want to change the motherboard to something a bit cheaper since "gaming" motherboards don't do much but that's a personal choice
  • Changed your mass storage to a WD Blue since you don't need a Black unless you want really high speeds (although you have an SSD for that)
  • I would consider a cheaper SSD unless you really want good speeds and reliability from the 850 EVO
  • Swapped your GPU out for an RX 480 since it's a really good budget card atm. Any model should do although I would get an 8GB model.
  • Swapped your PSU out for something a bit cheaper but still reliable

Just my thoughts :P Good build for your first one.

3 hours ago, MrFoxyCracker said:

Personally I would go for a RX 480 (don't bother about the controversy about it destroying mobos) Same price as that 960 and it competes with a 970.

The problem is that in amazon Mexico the RX 480 is way more expensive , the 960 is listed at  about 280 dollars and the RX480 is listed ad 522 dollars, and most U.S sites don´t ship to Mexico =(

3 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

I mostly just copied all of your parts into PCPartPicker to make things easier to work with but also changed a few parts.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Mqf8K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Mqf8K/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.69 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($73.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($92.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  ($272.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $929.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-02 14:27 EDT-0400

• Changed the cooler to something a bit more attractive and cheaper (not in stock on any stores for some reason but it should be on Amazon) (edit: prices on it are being really weird, if you scroll down on NewEgg you can find it for $30)
  • You might want to change the motherboard to something a bit cheaper since "gaming" motherboards don't do much but that's a personal choice
  • Changed your mass storage to a WD Blue since you don't need a Black unless you want really high speeds (although you have an SSD for that)
  • I would consider a cheaper SSD unless you really want good speeds and reliability from the 850 EVO
  • Swapped your GPU out for an RX 480 since it's a really good budget card atm. Any model should do although I would get an 8GB model.
  • Swapped your PSU out for something a bit cheaper but still reliable

Just my thoughts :P Good build for your first one.

• What motherboard would you suggest? n.n
  • Good call on the PSU :D 
  • The cpu cooler is not available in amazon Mexico or any other local web page
  • About the HDD , yeah, I'll get the blue now and buy the black later 
  • The SSD is just for that, fast and reliable storage, that is why I'm willing to pay the "premium" price tag

22 minutes ago, DarkCo said:
  • What motherboard would you suggest? n.n
  • Good call on the PSU :D 
  • The cpu cooler is not available in amazon Mexico or any other local web page
  • About the HDD , yeah, I'll get the blue now and buy the black later 
  • The SSD is just for that, fast and reliable storage, that is why I'm willing to pay the "premium" price tag

If you don't care about looks then find the cheapest mini itx LGA 1151 mobo that doesn't look shady. If you need wifi (which I wouldn't game with) then it brings the price up a bit. PCPartPicker helps sort out all of this

5 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

If you don't care about looks then find the cheapest mini itx LGA 1151 mobo that doesn't look shady. If you need wifi (which I wouldn't game with) then it brings the price up a bit. PCPartPicker helps sort out all of this

+1 Avoid BIOStar and Asrock and you're fine.

13 hours ago, MrFoxyCracker said:

+1 Avoid BIOStar and Asrock and you're fine.

I've used an ASRock Z97 Pro4 and it worked fine. They have some low quality stuff but in the higher end it's fine.

I found the MSI H110I PRO AC to be just fine, what do you guys think?