RX 480 motherboard worry

Rainbrew

I've been saving up for a gpu and psu upgrade for quite some time now, but I have an old motherboard  (Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3) and I was wondering whether I should be concerned about the motherboard power draw problems the rx 480 has. Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

I've been saving up for a gpu and psu upgrade for quite some time now, but I have an old motherboard  (Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3) and I was wondering whether I should be concerned about the motherboard power draw problems the rx 480 has. Thanks in advance!

Either i dont know as much as i think or you crazy :D Since when do Motherboards take Power from the GPU ? Please no hate if wrong

9 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

Give it a few days. AMD will probably release a vBIOS update to redirect power draw to the 6-pin.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

21 minutes ago, nskceaj said:

Either i dont know as much as i think or you crazy :D Since when do Motherboards take Power from the GPU ? Please no hate if wrong

I think you misread what he said. GPU's take power from the motherboard. 

22 minutes ago, nskceaj said:

In the context of the 480 I meant how the graphics card pulls power from the PCI-E lanes. Sorry if that was unclear

as long as you are running on stock clocs, you wont face any problems. but i suggest you wait for board partners to release their cards. :)

1 hour ago, Ellen_orangecloud said:

I just watched Jay's Crossfire video and he said a similar scenario happens when you overclock GPUs. He also said that the internet is pretty much divided into two right now: This will brick your board team and this won't brick your board team. 

For now, the only suggestion I can give you is to either wait for the board partners to release their custom PCBs or wait for AMD to release an official statement on the matter. 

AMD has released an official statement

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal.

Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

4 hours ago, Rainbrew said:

In the context of the 480 I meant how the graphics card pulls power from the PCI-E lanes. Sorry if that was unclear

No youre fine. I actually didnt know that. Thanks for clearing it up tho :)

I would wait a little longer, the 1060 will be announced soon. Best overclock a RX 480 can get is 1350MHz. This was achieved with a liquid cooler. With a 970 clocked to the same speed they were the same.

Here's the video proof. Check their other videos and you'll see they have about the best overclock on record for the 1080 using the same technique. And voltage wasn't the problem.

If anyone asks you never saw me.