Changed thermal paste, now it won't boot

Tosa

So, my computer has acted weird lately (GeForce experience just disappeared,  for instance) and, entirely unrelated, the temperatures were quite high, so me and a friend of mine changed the thermal compound. After changing the thermal compound, the computer just boot looped, and after removing and placing the CMOS battery back in, the computer starts, doesn't loop, but doesn't boot either. The BIOS screen never appears and the screen just stays off. The I/O indicator is initially lit, but then goes off shortly after never to light up again until I try restarting it.

Anybody have any idea what to do about it? 

you only changed CPU thermal paste? Did you remove the CPU aswell?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Make sure the CPU is firmly seated in the socket, and that any thermal paste didn't get where it shouldn't be. (On the pins, elsewhere.)

3 minutes ago, Tosa said:

So, my computer has acted weird lately (GeForce experience just disappeared,  for instance) and, entirely unrelated, the temperatures were quite high, so me and a friend of mine changed the thermal compound. After changing the thermal compound, the computer just boot looped, and after removing and placing the CMOS battery back in, the computer starts, doesn't loop, but doesn't boot either. The BIOS screen never appears and the screen just stays off. The I/O indicator is initially lit, but then goes off shortly after never to light up again until I try restarting it.

Anybody have any idea what to do about it? 

Maybe CPU fan not plugged in or plugged into the wrong pins?

Some MOBOs won't boot without the cpu plugged into the cpu Fan pins.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

18 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

you only changed CPU thermal paste? Did you remove the CPU aswell?

No, only to check if the thermal compound had gotten to the pins.

19 minutes ago, forthe48 said:

Make sure the CPU is firmly seated in the socket, and that any thermal paste didn't get where it shouldn't be. (On the pins, elsewhere.)

I'm certain that the CPU is seated correctly.  I've also reseated it, and that didn't make any difference. I did get some thermal compound just outside the CPU's heat spreader, but nothing hit the motherboard. 

22 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Maybe CPU fan not plugged in or plugged into the wrong pins?

Some MOBOs won't boot without the cpu plugged into the cpu Fan pins.

I've taken the CPU cooler out a couple of times, forgot to plug in the fan one time, but having it plugged in makes no difference in this regard. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I contacted the retailer where I bought all the parts, and they told me to mail it to them, which I did. Later, I got it in return with some test results: They were able to boot it up and run stress tests on it without any problems, so when I received it, I put it back together and hoped for the best: it didn't work, just like before I sent it, so I figured something else must cause it.

My theories that I then tested was

• If the Power supply is broken Another power supply made no difference
  • If the GPU is faulty and caused the motherboard's firmware to crash Tried another dedicated GPU that I know for a fact works, and it didn't make any difference. Besides, that GPU is now running on another motherboard just fine. The integrated GPU didn't make any difference either.

What now?

1 hour ago, Tosa said:

So I contacted the retailer where I bought all the parts, and they told me to mail it to them, which I did. Later, I got it in return with some test results: They were able to boot it up and run stress tests on it without any problems, so when I received it, I put it back together and hoped for the best: it didn't work, just like before I sent it, so I figured something else must cause it.

My theories that I then tested was

• If the Power supply is broken Another power supply made no difference
  • If the GPU is faulty and caused the motherboard's firmware to crash Tried another dedicated GPU that I know for a fact works, and it didn't make any difference. Besides, that GPU is now running on another motherboard just fine. The integrated GPU didn't make any difference either.

What now?

You could email them to tell you exactly what they used and see if that makes a difference.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

if they use different hardware then one of the components might be dead, MB's will not boot if they detect a dead component, its to try and stop any damage to the MB

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Two of the RAM slots are apparently dead, except the two furthest from the CPU. The case is also a bit fucked up, gived one of the screws to attach the motherboard are broken, one of the things the motherboard is supposed to stand on is gone, and the legs the case stands on just broke. It's not impossible that the motherboard touched the case, contributing to the issues.