First build

Spartaton

This looks really good thats a 4k monitor right? I might suggest going with the strix version of the 1080 since it has a higher clock... Also do understand that a single 1080 wont be able to push games in 4k at max settings for most games with a nice 60fps, and future games will be worse... But if your happy with turning down the settings a bit or using 1080 res on your monitor (Looks better than native 1080 usually anyway) then that should be fine :) (You could also get another strix in the future for sli but that could have compatibility problems).

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

2 minutes ago, Inrix said:

This looks really good thats a 4k monitor right? I might suggest going with the strix version of the 1080 since it has a higher clock... Also do understand that a single 1080 wont be able to push games in 4k at max settings for most games with a nice 60fps, and future games will be worse... But if your happy with turning down the settings a bit of using 1080 res on your monitor (Looks better than native 1080 usually anyway) then that should be fine :) (You could also get another strix in the future for sli but that could have compatibility problems).

It is 4k, thanks for the suggestion, I can deal with that, I can only play games these days on low-med right now anyways, there is the possibility of getting 2 1080's in the future which is why I chose a MotherBoard that's SLI compatible, I'd porbably just sell the older one and get 2 new ones to avoid issues.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 minute ago, Spartaton said:

It is 4k, thanks for the suggestion, I can deal with that, I can only play games these days on low-med right now anyways, there is the possibility of getting 2 1080's in the future which is why I chose a MotherBoard that's SLI compatible, I'd porbably just sell the older one and get 2 new ones to avoid issues.

Thanks for the feedback!

If you want any more info on the subject here is a thread that I found really helpful, since I was planning to do a 4k build towards the end of the year...

linustechtips.com/main/topic/615709-1080-vs-1080ti-waiting-vs-not-for-4k/

If you have any more questions feel free to ask xD

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Not that PSU please. If you're going EVGA, go with the GQ/G2/GS series. Also, 550W is more than enough for a single 1080. 

I'm just trying to stay with what I can get at local stores so if I run into a problem I can easily get something replaced. If I had to chose from this selection (https://otvtech.ca/catalogue?page=shop.browse&category_id=531) what would you suggest?

7 minutes ago, Spartaton said:

I'm just trying to stay with what I can get at local stores so if I run into a problem I can easily get something replaced. If I had to chose from this selection (https://otvtech.ca/catalogue?page=shop.browse&category_id=531) what would you suggest?

https://otvtech.ca/catalogue?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_stock.tpl&product_id=24857&category_id=531 The best I could find on that store at the cheapest price. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 minutes ago, Spartaton said:

Guess I should've asked what you would suggest if you could pick any PSU too, if you wouldn't mind.

Ahem.... Just a little personal suggestion, always try to get gold rated PSU's I felt that your original one was fine, but don't get stuff that's got a rating under gold... I would suggest sticking with your original especially if you plan to sli with another 1080

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

1 minute ago, Inrix said:

Ahem.... Just a little personal suggestion, always try to get gold PSU's I felt that your original one was fine, but don't get stuff that's got a rating under gold... I would suggest sticking with your original especially if you plan to sli with another 1080

Ya, I realize that, but i thought I might as well get an opinion. Just realized though that I can't even get the one they suggested because it's out of stock in my town and they aren't going to sell it anymore. As for the potential upgrade to SLI later, I was thinking I'd probably upgrade the PSU at the same time (it would be quite a while before I had the money to do that kind of upgrade).

4 minutes ago, Spartaton said:

Ya, I realize that, but i thought I might as well get an opinion. Just realized though that I can't even get the one they suggested because it's out of stock in my town and they aren't going to sell it anymore. As for the potential upgrade to SLI later, I was thinking I'd probably upgrade the PSU at the same time (it would be quite a while before I had the money to do that kind of upgrade).

Kinda contradicting myself a little, I do agree with Randoms suggestion of a GQ/G2 or other power supplies around that area if you want to get a different one... Just not anything lower than gold :) Generally you cant really go wrong with a psu selection, I usually just set a minimum wattage, set it to gold only and sort by price... Then its just up to weather if I want modularity or not... But it is a good idea to go with well known brands

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

38 minutes ago, Inrix said:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask xD

I doubt I'll get all the parts at the same time, so what are some of the items that I could potentially buy online that I'm less likely to have issues with?

2 minutes ago, Spartaton said:

I doubt I'll get all the parts at the same time, so what are some of the items that I could potentially buy online that I'm less likely to have issues with?

In relation to what issues? Are you talking about new stuff coming out?

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

1 minute ago, Inrix said:

In relation to what issues?

Well this being my first build it's easier for me to take a 10 min drive to the store and get something replaced rather than ship it off if I have a problem with it, and I've heard a lot of tales about sites like newegg (although I've never bought from there personally) about things being dead on arrival or just in general needing to be returned.

1 minute ago, Spartaton said:

Well this being my first build it's easier for me to take a 10 min drive to the store and get something replaced rather than ship it off if I have a problem with it, and I've heard a lot of tales about sites like newegg (although I've never bought from there personally) about things being dead on arrival or just in general needing to be returned.

I cant quite speak from experience since I live in Nz and most of the stuff I order online is from shops I can go in to pick stuff up, though If you can I would suggest trying to buy the graphics card, and monitor in store as those are the two ones that I could see getting easily damaged... The rest of the components should be well packaged (not that the mon/gpu wouldnt be but those can be quite fragile) and able to handle postage...

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

2 minutes ago, Inrix said:

I cant quite speak from experience since I live in Nz and most of the stuff I order online is from shops I can go in to pick stuff up, though If you can I would suggest trying to buy the graphics card, and monitor in store as those are the two ones that I could see getting easily damaged... The rest of the components should be well packaged (not that the mon/gpu wouldnt be but those can be quite fragile) and able to handle postage...

Alright thanks.

5 minutes ago, Spartaton said:

Also my above post covered stuff like shipping damage, but I cant say anything about actual components being faulty on arrival... I generally try to always buy stuff in store unless its more than 10-20$ cheaper online...

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

1 hour ago, Spartaton said:

Alright, I changed the gpu to the strix O8G Gaming and the power supply to an EVGA superNOVA G2 550W.

So now my build looks like this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cT4hqk

You don't plan to SLI anymore ? If not then the G2 550W is a good choice.

2 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You don't plan to SLI anymore ? If not then the G2 550W is a good choice.

Not necessarily, it's just that if I were to do SLI it would be a couple years (probably) after i built the system, so I figured I could just get a different power supply then rather than pay the extra for one now.