Coolermaster MasterKeys Pro L RGB Vs Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB

Slyhawk
Go to solution Solved by nobelharvards,

I will assume you are deadset on brown switches and those 2 options. 

The Cooler Master Masterkey Pro has a standard bottom row. As in, the keycaps for the Windows and function key are all the same size as the Ctrl and Alt keys. If you ever planned to get into the (very niche) custom keycaps market (PBT replacement keycaps, etc...), you will have a better time finding suitable keycaps that fit.

SSM500_03.JPG

The Masterkey Pro has a soft touch rubber coating all over the outside. Most people dislike it because you rarely touch the outside of your keyboard, and it attracts lint and dust. 

The Masterkey Pro has a slim profile. Thin bezels. It should be obvious from a photo of it. 

Masterkey Pro has an overall plastic finish with a standard non raised keys design. As in, you cannot see the switches under the keycaps from the outside. 

Cooler_Master_MasterKeys_Pro_L_6.jpg

The Corsair K70 LUX has an included magnetic detachable palm rest with a soft touch rubber coat. You do touch the palm rest a lot, so a rubber coating is fine there. 

You have dedicated media controls on the K70. A volume wheel, dedicated play, pause buttons, etc. 

media.jpg

K70 does not have a standard bottom row. The Windows and function keys are shrunk, and the space bar is lengthened. Most custom keycaps out there won't fit for those specific keys. 

qfm8nuD.jpg

K70 has an aluminium finish. This makes the keycaps bottoming out sound nicer (can be subjective). Also doesn't attract lint and dust like the Masterkey Pro. 

K70 had a raised keycaps design. What that means, is you can see the switches below the keycaps, and it's all "exposed". This makes it easier to clean, but some might not like the shirt off/hood up appearance. 

corsairgamingrgb.jpg

You can see the lights are the translucent RGB switches. In the Cooler Master Masterkey Pro, they are hidden by a top plastic cover as seen in the earlier image. 

The Masterkey Pro has a white backplate on the RGB switches. This reflects the light around. It has the upside of making it brighter, at the cost of vibrancy. The white backplate dilutes the colours slightly. The K70 does not have a white backplate. The lights will be slightly dimmer in comparison, but they will be more saturated. 

Another thing to take into consideration. Mechanical keyboards are not like other computer components where you throw it away for the new model after a few years. Properly taken care of, they can easily serve you for a few decades. IMO, a $25 price difference should NOT be a primary factor in which one you choose. 

I hope I've helped inform you on your decision. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks. 

From Australia sydney, This will be my first mechanical keyboard and i have decided to go with brown switches.

I'm trying to decide which one to get, any input or advice is appreciated.

Just which one do you guys/ladies recommend to get.

Coolermaster MasterKeys Pro L RGB is $200AUS

Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB is $225AUS

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

So the main feature that you want is RGB backlight, I would recommend G610 Orion Brown if you don't need RGB.

If it's based on the 2 choices, personally, I would go for the K70 because of the volume roller.

I constantly change my volume based on what I do or based on my mood so that would be a very helpful thing for me.

I wish more keyboard manufacturers add that feature in the future.

There really is not much difference, once you decide what switches you want, which you did, it all really comes down to what you personally are looking for in a keyboard.

Both coolermaster & corsair are old & trusted brands, both keyboards are solid choices. So ultimately, you have to decide which one you like better.

Personaly I'd go with the corsair one, because it has multimedia keys, an armrest and an "USB Hub" for "only" 25AUS aka 15€~ more, would be worth the extra cost for me.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

I will assume you are deadset on brown switches and those 2 options. 

The Cooler Master Masterkey Pro has a standard bottom row. As in, the keycaps for the Windows and function key are all the same size as the Ctrl and Alt keys. If you ever planned to get into the (very niche) custom keycaps market (PBT replacement keycaps, etc...), you will have a better time finding suitable keycaps that fit.

SSM500_03.JPG

The Masterkey Pro has a soft touch rubber coating all over the outside. Most people dislike it because you rarely touch the outside of your keyboard, and it attracts lint and dust. 

The Masterkey Pro has a slim profile. Thin bezels. It should be obvious from a photo of it. 

Masterkey Pro has an overall plastic finish with a standard non raised keys design. As in, you cannot see the switches under the keycaps from the outside. 

Cooler_Master_MasterKeys_Pro_L_6.jpg

The Corsair K70 LUX has an included magnetic detachable palm rest with a soft touch rubber coat. You do touch the palm rest a lot, so a rubber coating is fine there. 

You have dedicated media controls on the K70. A volume wheel, dedicated play, pause buttons, etc. 

media.jpg

K70 does not have a standard bottom row. The Windows and function keys are shrunk, and the space bar is lengthened. Most custom keycaps out there won't fit for those specific keys. 

qfm8nuD.jpg

K70 has an aluminium finish. This makes the keycaps bottoming out sound nicer (can be subjective). Also doesn't attract lint and dust like the Masterkey Pro. 

K70 had a raised keycaps design. What that means, is you can see the switches below the keycaps, and it's all "exposed". This makes it easier to clean, but some might not like the shirt off/hood up appearance. 

corsairgamingrgb.jpg

You can see the lights are the translucent RGB switches. In the Cooler Master Masterkey Pro, they are hidden by a top plastic cover as seen in the earlier image. 

The Masterkey Pro has a white backplate on the RGB switches. This reflects the light around. It has the upside of making it brighter, at the cost of vibrancy. The white backplate dilutes the colours slightly. The K70 does not have a white backplate. The lights will be slightly dimmer in comparison, but they will be more saturated. 

Another thing to take into consideration. Mechanical keyboards are not like other computer components where you throw it away for the new model after a few years. Properly taken care of, they can easily serve you for a few decades. IMO, a $25 price difference should NOT be a primary factor in which one you choose. 

I hope I've helped inform you on your decision. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Ichi said:

So the main feature that you want is RGB backlight, I would recommend G610 Orion Brown if you don't need RGB.

If it's based on the 2 choices, personally, I would go for the K70 because of the volume roller.

I constantly change my volume based on what I do or based on my mood so that would be a very helpful thing for me.

I wish more keyboard manufacturers add that feature in the future.

I dont need the volume control since i got a dac/amp, but thanks.

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

8 hours ago, nobelharvards said:

-snip-

Thank you very much your post was very informative and after your comments ill go for the K70.