i7 6700k

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,

What's your monitor?

ok so....

ihave i7 4770k , asus z87,

gtx 980ti g1 and i live in eu and i travel to usa.

now i want to upgrade i would like to know if i should upgrade my gpu to 1080 or my cpu to i7 6700k

and which motherboard vii formula or vii hero??

What's your monitor?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I don't think you would gain anything from it. You would need to change your MOBO, RAM... I'd say go for the 1080, it's gonna benefit you more if you do gaming. 

To be honest, there's not a whole lot to be upgraded here. If anything, the 1080 is more of a performance boost than a 6700k will be. However, I have an Oculus Rift and I'm getting consistent frame rates, running on a 980 ti, so it seems that I can still live on it for quite a while. If you're determined to upgrade, try adding another monitor, that really makes your life a whole lot easier. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

Wait for the 1080Ti.

Keep your cpu, it's more than capable for every task gaming related.

8 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

What's your monitor?

my monitor is asus pg279q 144 hz gsync

3 minutes ago, Ben-K said:

my monitor is asus pg279q 144 hz gsync

Honestly... don't upgrade anything. At max, buy a 1080 and sell your 980ti.

But there's really not much of a reason for you to get a 6700k. Maybe Zen / Kaby will change that, but right now, I wouldn't advise upgrading your CPU.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Wander Away said:

To be honest, there's not a whole lot to be upgraded here. If anything, the 1080 is more of a performance boost than a 6700k will be. However, I have an Oculus Rift and I'm getting consistent frame rates, running on a 980 ti, so it seems that I can still live on it for quite a while. If you're determined to upgrade, try adding another monitor, that really makes your life a whole lot easier. 

u sure? ihave seen some people with the same gpu as me but a better cpu such 6700k,5930k and they had around 40 fps more than me in bf4 for example

3 minutes ago, Ben-K said:

u sure? ihave seen some people with the same gpu as me but a better cpu such 6700k,5930k and they had around 40 fps more than me in bf4 for example

CPU's are not the limiting factor on games, its the graphics card. Plus, if your monitor is not a 144hz one, there's really no point to running massively over 60 fps. Even if your monitor is a 144hz, you would still not get any benefits running over 150 fps. 

Plus, the higher frame rates are highly possibly due to lower settings. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)