Is this PSU enough for a RX 480?

Spacey93

Looking at buying an RX 480 hopefully sometime soon. Current specs. i5 4460 CPU, 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 RAM, h81m-plus Motherboard, No GPU atm. But the PSU is only 400w, this exact one here http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=PSUZAL1400. Will it be enough for a 480? or should I look at upgrading it.

I think you'll be just fine. Make sure you have enough PCI-E power plugs doh.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

It has the capacity to run it but what I'd be concerned about is the quality. Three years warranty and the low price doesn't seem all that good to me...

Probably look at upgrading it either way.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It has the capacity to run it but what I'd be concerned about is the quality. Three years warranty and the low price doesn't seem all that good to me...

Probably look at upgrading it either way.

Any recommendations on a decent PSU if I were to look at upgrading?

3 minutes ago, Spacey93 said:

Any recommendations on a decent PSU if I were to look at upgrading?

Depends on your budget. Decent PSUs start at around $150-180 NZD.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Depends on your budget. Decent PSUs start at around $150-180 NZD.

Oh ok, just something that would work well with a 1080p build and possibly allow for future upgrading, not planning on doing any overclocking,  watercooling, SLI/CF etc. So nothing too overkill.

I suggest the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GQ, the Corsair RM550x, the SeaSonic G-Series 550W and the Cooler Master VSM 650W.

Unfortunately, choice is limited for us Aussies and Kiwis but they're all excellent PSUs.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I suggest the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GQ, the Corsair RM550x, the SeaSonic G-Series 550W and the Cooler Master VSM 650W.

Unfortunately, choice is limited for us Aussies and Kiwis but they're all excellent PSUs.

Thanks. I'll have a look around and see what the best option is in NZ.

EVGA supernovagq and seasonic g 5502 are good psu's, rmx series usually has good psu but i don't know anyone that used the 550w on. rmx 750  which i ve used is a damn good psu, so i think rmx 550w would be about the same. I haven't used a coolermaster psu so i don't know anything about it. Check them all at the johnyguru site and you find which matches you best. I would suggest one that is about 25% watts that what you need.