Modding my keyboard

Go to solution Solved by dlink377,

It highly depends on how the led is wired.

If it is single led like the picture by DXMember, you can desolder it (using flat tip to cover both pins), remove the solder, and solder a new boundless LED to it. I've done this two three keyboards to aqua blue color, which is same with all my mouse. I spent around 2 hours for each my 87 keys keyboard, and additional 5$ for the LED bulb, which is expensive because the LED color is aqua blue.

Don't use the LED on that picture, it is low quality and has the flat side, which will not flush with the switch. Buy boundless LED, transparent colored, it is so much brighter.

If it is RGB, I don't really recommend you to change to single color LED, however, you can do it if you really want, but for what?

If it is SMD LED, you can desolder it using flat tip to remove it. Usually I've seen this on cheap chinese keyboard that using SMD light rather than proper LED bulb. You can can replace it with standard LED bulb, just add solder blob on the edge.

Hey , i have been using a strafe keyboard from corsair for quite sometime now , and i was just wondering if i were to change my LED on my keyboard to a RGB one OR a white one , as i am building a white theme set up , 

will the corsair keyboard program still work with my keyboard and will i still be able to program it to Act like one of the RGB keyboard they have 

PS: My keyboard is fairly new and i dont want to spent unnecessary money to buy a New RGB one from them , i already have the tools at home and all i need is to buy the led

what? no... the leds in the switches are so tiny I doubt you'll be able to replace them by hand without ruining it

and you'll not be controlling it with software as the switches aren't wired up for rgb...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

in the case that i am able to remove the led , if i change them to a single coloured one , like for example white led , will they still be able to light up , or i wouldnt work as well

8 minutes ago, DXMember said:

what? no... the leds in the switches are so tiny I doubt you'll be able to replace them by hand without ruining it

and you'll not be controlling it with software as the switches aren't wired up for rgb...

in the case that i am able to remove the led , if i change them to a single coloured one , like for example white led , will they still be able to light up , or i wouldnt work as well

7 minutes ago, auxesis said:

RGB definitely wouldn't work, because like DX said they are not wired for that. You MIGHT be able to get away with a different solid color, but with very high chances of ruining the LED capability completely. Do some research and try it on something you care about less before possibly screwing up the keyboard.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Cherry_MX_Switch_Tutorial-04.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

It highly depends on how the led is wired.

If it is single led like the picture by DXMember, you can desolder it (using flat tip to cover both pins), remove the solder, and solder a new boundless LED to it. I've done this two three keyboards to aqua blue color, which is same with all my mouse. I spent around 2 hours for each my 87 keys keyboard, and additional 5$ for the LED bulb, which is expensive because the LED color is aqua blue.

Don't use the LED on that picture, it is low quality and has the flat side, which will not flush with the switch. Buy boundless LED, transparent colored, it is so much brighter.

If it is RGB, I don't really recommend you to change to single color LED, however, you can do it if you really want, but for what?

If it is SMD LED, you can desolder it using flat tip to remove it. Usually I've seen this on cheap chinese keyboard that using SMD light rather than proper LED bulb. You can can replace it with standard LED bulb, just add solder blob on the edge.