SPDIF & OPTICAL

MasterLow

Hey guys iv'e got a Desktop with a motherboard that has SPDIF_OUT on it and i wanted to connect this http://www.konka.co.nz/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=129&Itemid=80 (A home Theatre System) to my Desktop, now what I didn't see on that website was that it had what looked to be another SPDIF port on it or optical I don't know the difference but i was wondering if i hooked up and SPDIF cord to the SPDIF_OUT to the other port on the amp/dvd players port would the sound from my computer be projected from my PC to the Home Theater system? PLEASE AND THANKS!!!

8 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

Whats the difference between SPDIF and optical cause I have a SPDIF_OUT on my motherboard and there seems to be an optical port on a home theater system I want to hook up to my PC so whats the difference or are they the same thing?

SPDIF is an optical type connection. Your home theater probably has the same connection.

On some smart tv's i have seen some interesting optical connections of which i am not familiar,  but I am sure your HT probably does not include those.

Something to note thought, last time i checked SPDIF only supported 5.1 surround, so if you have a 7/9.1 setup you wont benefit from SPDIF

just another name

SPDIF is the proper name, optical is just a lazy way of saying it, cause its an optical cable

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

just another name

SPDIF is the proper name, optical is just a lazy way of saying it, cause its an optical cable

Or its the easy way to say it, how do you even say SPDIF do we pronounce the letters or do we pronounce it same as gif ssp dif

5 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Or its the easy way to say it, how do you even say SPDIF do we pronounce the letters or do we pronounce it same as gif ssp dif

normal people say S P diff

not spadiff like one word lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

normal people say S P diff

not spadiff like one word lol

Huh interesting never purchased one in person because i didn't wanna look stupid saying it wrong ; _ ;