Will the fx-6300 be any good with the R9 380x Nitro?

Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,

For GTA V you're going to want to limit things like draw distance and shadow quality to give your cpu some breathing room.

I'm building a gaming PC, will the fx-6300 and sapphire R9-380x run overwatch at 1080p maxed out 60fps and GTA 5 high settings 1080p 60fps?

I don't know about the games and how they're gonna run because I don't play them, but performance-wise, this is the optimal CPU + GPU combo, the CPU won't bottleneck the GPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

For GTA V you're going to want to limit things like draw distance and shadow quality to give your cpu some breathing room.

Don't get a 380x, the 480 is coming out in 5 days. It performs better at a lower price.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

The FX-6300 gets beaten by a skylake i3 6100 with two hyperthreaded cores in singlethreaded and multithreaded workloads. Going for an AMD CPU doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now. Skip to 8:43 for gaming benchmarks w/ a 380, synthetic benchmarks are linked. You can see the i3 does a lot better than the FX CPU.

Also, don't get a 380X. Wait for the 480.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

8 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Don't get a 380x, the 480 is coming out in 5 days. It performs better at a lower price.

That's a good idea, but pricing will be heaps over here in New Zealand 

8 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

The FX-6300 gets beaten by a skylake i3 6100 with two hyperthreaded cores in singlethreaded and multithreaded workloads. Going for an AMD CPU doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now. Skip to 8:43 for gaming benchmarks w/ a 380, synthetic benchmarks are linked. You can see the i3 does a lot better than the FX CPU.

I think I'll keep the fx-6300 for now cause my friend is giving me the am3+ mobo, but I might upgrade to a fx-9370 in a year or two, I'll definitely go for the rx 480

8 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Overwatch easily, GTA V is doubtful.

Overwatch_proz.jpg

Overwatch_1920.jpg

GTA5_proz.jpg

Thanks!

8 hours ago, vXeno said:

I'm building a gaming PC, will the fx-6300 and sapphire R9-380x run overwatch at 1080p maxed out 60fps and GTA 5 high settings 1080p 60fps?

try get the FX 6350. It has a MUCH better cooler.

Also, for motherboard i suggest getting the ASRock 970A G/3.1 or the ASUS 970 GAMING AURA board. These are very good boards and should allow for around 4.5 GHz or so in overclock.

8 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

I have used that i3. Sure it produces higher FPS. But it stutters badly when paired with a mid-range AMD GPU. When reviewers test CPUs, they pair them with a balling GPU, and more often then not, its the GPU carrying the i3. Its a bit sad. I bought the i3 6100 for my girlfriend based on the benchmarks online. It is paired with a HD 7950 Boost (R9 280). Which is like 15% slower then a 380X, on average. Sadly, the experience with the i3 is NOTHING like what benchmarks suggest.

As for the FX vs i3 argument.

The FX is unlocked. If you get a FX 6350 you get the Wraith cooler. Said cooler is comparable to a Hyper 212 Evo. So you get a slightly faster CPU with a stock cooler that is equal to a 30 bucks aftermarket cooler. Any half decent AM3+ board should hit 4.5GHz, at which the i3 is no longer going to compete unless the game is extremely CPU intensive, and even then, the stuttering IS NOT FUNNY.

To give you some idea. The same GPU (HD 7950) was paired with a 7850k APU before i bought her the i3.... In every game i played, the i3 was consistently 15 FPS faster then the APU. However the APU didnt stutter, the i3 did.

Ill rather lose a few FPS and have a smooth experience, then gain like 15 FPS and stutter badly.

Games i played on the i3;
Rainbow Six SIege

The Witcher

The Witcher 2; Assassin of Kings

The Witcher 3; Wild Hunt

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot)

Guildwars 2

The only game where the i3 DID NOT stutter compared to the APU, was Tomb Raider 2013. However Tomb Raider is almost entirely GPU dependent. It makes little to no difference between a Athlon 860k and a i7 5960x. For reals. That game doesnt care for CPU.

Guildwars 2 had higher minimum FPS then the APU, but it had more drops when many players were around.

9 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Overwatch easily, GTA V is doubtful.

Overwatch_proz.jpg

Overwatch_1920.jpg

GTA5_proz.jpg

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

I have used that i3. Sure it produces higher FPS. But it stutters badly when paired with a mid-range AMD GPU. When reviewers test CPUs, they pair them with a balling GPU, and more often then not, its the GPU carrying the i3. Its a bit sad. I bought the i3 6100 for my girlfriend based on the benchmarks online. It is paired with a HD 7950 Boost (R9 280). Which is like 15% slower then a 380X, on average. Sadly, the experience with the i3 is NOTHING like what benchmarks suggest.

As for the FX vs i3 argument.

The FX is unlocked. If you get a FX 6350 you get the Wraith cooler. Said cooler is comparable to a Hyper 212 Evo. So you get a slightly faster CPU with a stock cooler that is equal to a 30 bucks aftermarket cooler. Any half decent AM3+ board should hit 4.5GHz, at which the i3 is no longer going to compete unless the game is extremely CPU intensive, and even then, the stuttering IS NOT FUNNY.

To give you some idea. The same GPU (HD 7950) was paired with a 7850k APU before i bought her the i3.... In every game i played, the i3 was consistently 15 FPS faster then the APU. However the APU didnt stutter, the i3 did.

Ill rather lose a few FPS and have a smooth experience, then gain like 15 FPS and stutter badly.

Games i played on the i3;
Rainbow Six SIege

The Witcher

The Witcher 2; Assassin of Kings

The Witcher 3; Wild Hunt

Tomb Raider (2013 reboot)

Guildwars 2

The only game where the i3 DID NOT stutter compared to the APU, was Tomb Raider 2013. However Tomb Raider is almost entirely GPU dependent. It makes little to no difference between a Athlon 860k and a i7 5960x. For reals. That game doesnt care for CPU.

Guildwars 2 had higher minimum FPS then the APU, but it had more drops when many players were around.

Okay thanks, the i3 doesn't sound that good anymore lol, I'm def going with fx-6300 Thanks though

4 minutes ago, vXeno said:

Okay thanks, the i3 doesn't sound that good anymore lol, I'm def going with fx-6300 Thanks though

Get the FX 6350

the cooler you get with it is equal to a 30$ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

try this setup:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TP8RBP

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

Get the FX 6350

the cooler you get with it is equal to a 30$ Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

try this setup:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TP8RBP

What about the FX-8300? Here is what Tom's Hardware had to say about it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

At $120, the FX-8300 is a disruptive force in our mainstream processor recommendations. Unfortunately for AMD, most of the displacement happens in its own line-up. We swap out the FX-4350, -6300 and -8320 for a quad-module CPU that operates between 3.3 and 4.2GHz. 

Overclocked, it’ll give you great gaming and productivity performance at a price point Intel can’t even touch with a modern Core i3. If you use some of your savings on an aftermarket cooler, the -8300 should yield snappy responsiveness, modest operating temperatures and quiet operation.

10 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What about the FX-8300? Here is what Tom's Hardware had to say about it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

At $120, the FX-8300 is a disruptive force in our mainstream processor recommendations. Unfortunately for AMD, most of the displacement happens in its own line-up. We swap out the FX-4350, -6300 and -8320 for a quad-module CPU that operates between 3.3 and 4.2GHz. 

Overclocked, it’ll give you great gaming and productivity performance at a price point Intel can’t even touch with a modern Core i3. If you use some of your savings on an aftermarket cooler, the -8300 should yield snappy responsiveness, modest operating temperatures and quiet operation.

doesnt come with Wraith cooler.

Thing is. the setup i linked in my post. it comes with a Wraith cooler (you must make sure to buy the right box, as retailers still have a few of the old boxes lying around that doesnt have the new cooler.)

The new cooler is equal to a Hyper 212 Evo. Pair that with the ASRock board which is a 2x 4+1 phase setup, and you should be good for at least 4.5GHz OC or atleast 4.2GHz base with 4.5GHz turbo on STOCK cooling solution.

Atm only the following CPUs come with the Wraith cooler
FX 6350

FX 8350

FX 8370

A10 7890k

This is the correct "box" version that comes with the Wraith Cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113416&cm_re=FX_6350-_-19-113-416-_-Product