i5 4460 vs FX 9370

Go to solution Solved by imreloadin,
6 minutes ago, Call of What? said:

Hi guys, i was about to upgrade my cpu because a a10 5800k isnt enough for my r9 290 xD. But now i met this fx 9370 wich is the same price as the i5 but its a 8 core so now im not sure wich one i want. So is the i5 better?

I know it has better single core preformance but the fx beats at multicore (ofcourse since its a octa). Most important for me is ofcourse the preformance i will get when playing games such as arma 3, Rainbow six siege and soon battlefield 1.

I just want a non-biased oppinion. And i want to know if the FX or I5 is better in REAL preformance because we all know intel mostly beats amd in the cpu part, so i dont care if the fx got 2 fps more in counter shite or whatever i want to know the overall raw preformance of these 2 cpu's

The i5, it has stronger single thread performance which is what games want versus high core counts.

Hi guys, i was about to upgrade my cpu because a a10 5800k isnt enough for my r9 290 xD. But now i met this fx 9370 wich is the same price as the i5 but its a 8 core so now im not sure wich one i want. So is the i5 better?

I know it has better single core preformance but the fx beats at multicore (ofcourse since its a octa). Most important for me is ofcourse the preformance i will get when playing games such as arma 3, Rainbow six siege and soon battlefield 1.

I just want a non-biased oppinion. And i want to know if the FX or I5 is better in REAL preformance because we all know intel mostly beats amd in the cpu part, so i dont care if the fx got 2 fps more in counter shite or whatever i want to know the overall raw preformance of these 2 cpu's

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

i5 no contest, games don't like 8 core fx chips very much when compared to an i5.

I know but what about games in the next 2 years? i know arma 3 needs like a damn Pentium to run fine but yeh what about bf1 for example

If you want to game, you are better off with higher IPC. And that's ignoring the multiple other downfalls that the 9370 has.

Go with the i5. Possibly even aim for a Skylake i5, depending on the price.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The i5, it has stronger single thread performance which is what games want versus high core counts.

2 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Awesome, i was expecting that i just wanted to know for sure

I know but what about games in the next 2 years? i know arma 3 needs like a damn Pentium to run fine but yeh what about bf1 for example

The engines are still the same, it doesn't really matter if a fresh coat of paint is put on the new products. Some games might see improvements from additional cores in the future but fx chips don't have standard cores anyway, their archtecture is crap. If you were going to go amd the only option would be wait and see how zen is, fx isn't a good option in general.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The engines are still the same, it doesn't really matter if a fresh coat of paint is put on the new products. Some games might see improvements from additional core in the future but fx chips don't have standard core anyway, their archtecture is crap. If you were going to go amd the only option would be wait and see how zen is, fx isn't a good option in general.

Well knowing how sluggish amd is (experience) i dont think its worth waiting because it aint gonna be gud anyway

Well knowing how sluggish amd is (experience) i dont think its worth waiting because it aint gonna be gud anyway

I tend to agree, it probably isn't worth waiting for....but not because AMD only makes crap (because that's not the case -- they've just fallen way behind in the CPU division due to some technical choices they made). In the past AMD has trashed Intel on the CPU side of things. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I tend to agree, it probably isn't worth waiting for....but not because AMD only makes crap (because that's not the case -- they've just fallen way behind in the CPU division due to some technical choices they made). In the past AMD has trashed Intel on the CPU side of things. 

Yeah, i know they dont make crap. Im using a r9 290 wich isnt crap at all xD its a wonderfull card. Using the right cooler ofcourse. Im using a club 3D royalqueen wich is just fine for me

For games the i5 will win 9 times out of 10. There are a few games where FX CPUs do better, when there are a lot of tasks that can be spread over all the cores (for example in Witcher 3 in cities with lots of NPCs the FX CPU will do better; but then on the flipside out in the world the i5 will do better).

For video encoding and stuff like that the FX will be a bit better... imo not by enough to justify the worse gaming performance.