Motherboard PSU

Go to solution Solved by Quaker,

Near as I can tell from the manual, the extra 4-pin connector is only needed if you heavily overclock. For normal use, the 8-pin connection is adequate.

They warn against using only the 4-pin - you can use the 8-pin alone, or the 8-pin + 4-pin, but not just the 4-pin.

Im currently in the process of building a PC. I have a Corsair CX 750W and want to know if the Asus x99 deluxe 2 can be powered by it. I have noticed that on this motherboard it has an 8 pin plus 4 pin for the CPU power, but the CX 750 only boasts an 8 pin. Can I still run the board with this PSU? Could I do any DIY/ bodge to get it to work if not?

Thanks Carl

Not necessarily planning on Overclocking if that helps.

It all depends on the cpu, does your cpu need 12 pin, 8 pin, 4pin, motherboards have the most amount possible so that consumer can put the hungriest of cpus and not be in problem

maybe tell cpu so that we can confirm it needs x amount of pins

edit: I believe but don't quote me on that 4 pin can provide about 100 watts

I would not attach such a budget PSU to such an expensive motherboard/CPU. I would definitely not try overclocking with it either. the CX series is one of corsairs lowest end series. Its known more for its price than its performance. If you have the kind of money to drop on X99 + CPU, you should figure out how to get a proper PSU in there somewhere as well.

If I were you I would get something like this PSU here. Its not incredibly expensive (in comparison to X99 and 2011-3) and has everything you need.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1

That being said, its entirely possible that it might work even if you don't plug anything into the 4 pin connector. You wouldn't be able to do ANY overclocking, but it might work without it. All that pin is there for is additional CPU power, and the traditional 8-pin isn't enough for 140W+ TDP CPU's like the 2011-3 chips. Again, I wouldn't recommend doing this, but it MAY work just fine. (it also may not)

Yes there are ways to make a DIY EPS connector. I'm no electrician though, and don't know how to do it. But you can make pretty much any connector you need for a computer out of a molex.

Why benchmark a 1080 with 1/2 a gig of RAM? Why use a custom loop on an i3? Why power a x99 deluxe II with a CX750?

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

Near as I can tell from the manual, the extra 4-pin connector is only needed if you heavily overclock. For normal use, the 8-pin connection is adequate.

They warn against using only the 4-pin - you can use the 8-pin alone, or the 8-pin + 4-pin, but not just the 4-pin.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

3 hours ago, Tom is a Door said:

It all depends on the cpu, does your cpu need 12 pin, 8 pin, 4pin, motherboards have the most amount possible so that consumer can put the hungriest of cpus and not be in problem

maybe tell cpu so that we can confirm it needs x amount of pins

edit: I believe but don't quote me on that 4 pin can provide about 100 watts

Would be using i7 6800K