Xeon e3 1231V3 motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Krankyboi said:

I should have probably mentioned that the RAM I will be using is normal DDR3 Corsair XMS 8GB single stick and ahm the GPU I have is a R9 380x

Won't make a difference in mobo.

This will work fine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132215

Hello so I basically just bought the Xeon 1231 v3 and now I just need to pick a motherboard for it. I know that the socket has to be a 1150 and what not, however what Chipset does it have to be? Or does it not matter? Is there specific advantages to certain chipsets? Not really educated enough on the subject. For example I know that the 6600k needs the Z170 chipset to OC it, and while you obviously can't OC the Xeon, is there something I have to look out for?

Basically, what chipsets are compatible and if which would you recommend. Not really looking for a super over the top motherboard since I won't probably even notice most of the features since I'll just play CSGO on this and watch Twitch streams but yeah :D 

2 minutes ago, Krankyboi said:

Hello so I basically just bought the Xeon 1231 v3 and now I just need to pick a motherboard for it. I know that the socket has to be a 1150 and what not, however what Chipset does it have to be? Or does it not matter? Is there specific advantages to certain chipsets? Not really educated enough on the subject. For example I know that the 6600k needs the Z170 chipset to OC it, and while you obviously can't OC the Xeon, is there something I have to look out for?

Basically, what chipsets are compatible and if which would you recommend. Not really looking for a super over the top motherboard since I won't probably even notice most of the features since I'll just play CSGO on this and watch Twitch streams but yeah :D 

Chipset doesn't matter. The higer end chipsets have more sata6, usb 3 and chipset pcie lanes. If that doesn't matter get a cheap b85/h81 board. 

I should have probably mentioned that the RAM I will be using is normal DDR3 Corsair XMS 8GB single stick and ahm the GPU I have is a R9 380x

Practically any board that supports Haswell will do.  "Flagship" board for a Xeon like that would be the Supermicro X10SAE or X10SAT.  But that'll cost you a fortune and unless you need the server features, probably completely unnecessary.

Any 1150 board should work, all the way down to bare bones $30 H81 boards. However for guaranteed compatibility (as the 1231 V3 is a Haswell Refresh chip) you may want to go for an H97. The cheapest H97 will likely be plenty.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan