GPU help : 6 to 8 pin?

Jack Dvorak

My psu is a cougar sl 400 and the gpu that I bought requires an 8 pin connector. Looking around my case it has only one 6 pin connector the gpu needs requires 160w at the max. I see on amazon there is a 1x6 pin to 1x8 pin adapter. I just need help. I don't want to buy a new PSU, because i am on a strict budget. I can guarantee that that is the only 6 pin.

IMG_1842[1].JPG

IMG_1841[1].JPG

First: mods need to move this topic

And to answer your question, while the adapter could work, you should buy a new PSU. That unit is low quality and probably shouldn't be used. Evga makes decent quality units for a low price.

`

6 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

My psu is a cougar sl 400 and the gpu that I bought requires an 8 pin connector. Looking around my case it has only one 6 pin connector the gpu needs requires 160w at the max. I see on amazon there is a 1x6 pin to 1x8 pin adapter. I just need help. I don't want to buy a new PSU, because i am on a strict budget. I can guarantee that that is the only 6 pin.

IMG_1842[1].JPG

IMG_1841[1].JPG

So you have 2 12v rails.  12V1 and 12V2.  12V1 gives you 15 amp and 12v2 gives you 16 amps.  Make sure the video card is on V1 and the motherboard is on V2.  This is really my best advice to make it work.

Although, I do kinda sorta recommend you get a new PSU.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Indeed. It will work but  this is not a case of "you should".

2 hours ago, ENiX said:

Indeed. It will work but  this is not a case of "you should".

I just decided that I will save up more and buy a new PSU btw I'm 12 and I'm doing this :) it's easier than making mac and cheese!!!

You can buy an adapter for it or just ground the two other pins with a paper clip as long as you know your PSU will be able to handle the load of your system with that GPU. What GPU is it specifically?

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

11 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

You can buy an adapter for it or just ground the two other pins with a paper clip as long as you know your PSU will be able to handle the load of your system with that GPU. What GPU is it specifically?

1 minute ago, Jack Dvorak said:
3 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

GTX 960 4GB FTW w/ ACX 2.0

EVGA

14 hours ago, Jack Dvorak said:
14 hours ago, Jack Dvorak said:

GTX 960 4GB FTW w/ ACX 2.0

It should work but you'll be pushing it. You can either get a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, or be really ghetto about it and use a paper clip to connect the two empty pins by wedging the other ends into two of the black wires of the 6 pin (what I'm currently doing haha).

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan