CPU i5-4690k Idles at 60 C?

My new processor is idling at 60 C, while the case and system itself idles at a little below 40 C. Is there any way to ensure the processor doesn't overheat, as its idle seems problematic.

Did you just make the computer? Did you remember thermal paste? What cooler did you use? Please give me details.

Check thermal compound and reseat cooler. Info on cooler would be handy.

Did you put on thermal paste?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I have a hyper 212 evo on mine with IC Diamond thermal paste and I idle at 40 with a 4.3 ghz overclock. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 6950x @ 4.2GHz Custom Loop: EKWB Supremacy EVO MX, XSPC 360EX, EKWB 140 CE, Corsair 280mm, '70 Camaro rad, XSPC D5 Vario Pump, EK X3 250 res, Primochill Advanced LRT Crystal Clear (7/16" x 5/8"), XSPC Compression Fittings, Distilled Water and Primochill Utopia GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC RAM: 48gb SK Hynix 2400mhz MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB M.2, 4TB Toshiba X300, 2x 1TB Toshiba P300, 1TB WD Skorpion, 1TB Seagate Apple HDD, 750gb WD Black, 4x Micron C400 256gb Monitors: Acer Predator X34P; LG 29UM58; Dell 2405FPW Keyboards: 1987 IBM Model M; Razer Deathstalker Mouse: Razer Taipan (Black) Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Speed (Large) Headphones: Meze 99 Classics    

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

@mrcubed check your CPU voltage with CPU-Z should be around 1.10-1.25v idle. some of the giggy updated mobos over increased the CPU voltages.

sounds like either the CPU cooler is not properly contacting the CPU IHS, incorrect voltage, or temperature SNAFU monitor.

normally, stock clocked CPUs idle 5°-8° above ambient temperature. any extra voltages will increase overall thermals.

Thanks everyone for responding, I'm using the stock cooler provided with the intel i5-4690k which from my understanding was pre-pasted. http://valid.x86.fr/8rb4l0 this should provide all the details about my computer I believe (I got it using the application airdeano suggested, thanks!). I do know that my processor speed should probably only be reaching 3.5 GHz, but my task manager says it's running around 3.85 GHz while only running Chrome (it varies and goes down every now and then, but stays there for roughly 75% of the time)

35 minutes ago, mrcubed said:

Thanks everyone for responding, I'm using the stock cooler provided with the intel i5-4690k which from my understanding was pre-pasted. http://valid.x86.fr/8rb4l0 this should provide all the details about my computer I believe (I got it using the application airdeano suggested, thanks!). I do know that my processor speed should probably only be reaching 3.5 GHz, but my task manager says it's running around 3.85 GHz while only running Chrome (it varies and goes down every now and then, but stays there for roughly 75% of the time)

with the cpu speed 3.5ghz is the base but there is a turbo speed that it ramps up to under load

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

54 minutes ago, mrcubed said:

I do know that my processor speed should probably only be reaching 3.5 GHz, but my task manager says it's running around 3.85 GHz while only running Chrome

Reset your BIOS - it may be that the CPU parameters, such as clock speed and voltage, are wrong.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Alright, I heard that it may have been the turbo boost, so with it disabled, I idle at 40-45 C. It seems to run with a relatively minor downgrade in processor performance, but I'm not noticing it when dealing with anything I run.