What phone am I looking for?

Okjoek

Long story short: I use an iphone 5c currently. It is the only "smart phone" I've ever owned. I was never allowed to get more than a tracfone before I finished school because my parents thought I would be distracted from my education.

I'm thinking ahead to what I would want after the iPhone 5c. There are a few different things I would like different I think:

1. From watching Linus' videos it looks like most people don't like the mechanical home button over a sort of touch sensor one. I guess I would like that.

2. I want to be able to use wireless chargers because we've had trouble with the charging ports on our iPhones in the past and we had to get them fixed.

3. I want to be able to play an emulator for Pokemon Emerald and other game boy titles. iPhone has some alright games, but not a lot of the classics I love.

4. From what I'm told iPhones have bad battery life and looking at someone else's Android I tend to agree. If I can get better battery then why not?

5. Maybe a bit larger screen, but it doesn't have to be thinner because I don't have any issues with the thickness of my phone even with the aftermarket case I got for it.

That's pretty much all I want in an upgrade. I pretty much just use my phone for calls, messaging, browsing, youtube, news, weather, occasional photo and games. My iPhone does all these pretty well, although as said before I want more freedom for the games because I don't really care for much on the app store. The official mobile version of Tetris sucks and has micro-transactions, I can't play Pokemon and in general there's not a lot of choices that I want. I've been told that iPhones have great security and stuff, but IDK what I would do on my phone that anyone would steal so I'm really questioning why I would get another iPhone over something else. 

What might I be looking for?

I have a S6 Active with a 3500 mAH battery. I compared battery life with one of my friends who has an iPhone 6 (1810 mAH). The iPhone uses the battery much more effectively and efficiently (standby and basic usage). Just something to think about. 

System: Thinkpad T460

Galaxy S7 probably. Maybe Droid Turbo if you have the right carrier.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

+1 for Droid Turbo.   A year or so old, so down on price, but still packing top notch hardware, and wireless charging.  Great 5"+ screen, and great battery life.  Can be had used on ebay from reputable sellers for under $150.  Just picked up mine off there a few weeks ago for $127

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381554795459?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650666157277&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Galaxy S7?

I tried one out at best buy a few days ago and it's such a fantastic phone, if I had $600 or so to drop on a new phone, I'd get an S7 to replace my somewhat dying Zenfone 2.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you know longer want an iOS device, (I have a iPhone 6s running the iOS 10 dev beta and I could not love the thing more) You could try something like the OnePlus 3, fairly cheap, (cheaper than a S6 or S7) and you get a solid experience....albeit an android one........

Also, please never ever say you like something because others like it. 

doing something or liking it because others do it is THE absolute worst reason to do something. I actually prefer physical buttons over capacitive ones because I accidentally hit buttons on any android device that I use, I personally cant stand the Galaxy line or any other phone that puts its buttons on the bottom bezel. 

Wireless charging is alright, its not truly wireless though and I would not mess with it, the OnePlus has a solid USB C connector and quick charging. If you can ruin a lighting port a standard micro USB connector would not last 5 min with you xD USB C is very durable. 

The iPhones actually have amazing battery life due to efficiency. My iPhone 6s Plus gets 6 hours of heavy use on a single charge and iPhones have unrivaled standby time.

OnePlus is pretty big     

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you know longer want an iOS device, (I have a iPhone 6s running the iOS 10 dev beta and I could not love the thing more) You could try something like the OnePlus 3, fairly cheap, (cheaper than a S6 or S7) and you get a solid experience....albeit an android one........

Also, please never ever say you like something because others like it. 

doing something or liking it because others do it is THE absolute worst reason to do something. I actually prefer physical buttons over capacitive ones because I accidentally hit buttons on any android device that I use, I personally cant stand the Galaxy line or any other phone that puts its buttons on the bottom bezel. 

Wireless charging is alright, its not truly wireless though and I would not mess with it, the OnePlus has a solid USB C connector and quick charging. If you can ruin a lighting port a standard micro USB connector would not last 5 min with you xD USB C is very durable. 

The iPhones actually have amazing battery life due to efficiency. My iPhone 6s Plus gets 6 hours of heavy use on a single charge and iPhones have unrivaled standby time.

OnePlus is pretty big     

Well where I was going when I said I would like no mechanical home button is that I feel the mechanism would be longer lasting and be less prone to damage/fatigue and ultimately failure since it's not mechanic. I guess the trade off is as you said ease of accidentally pushing it. I like reliability most of all so I'm really tempted to go for it still.

From what most of you claim the iPhone has great battery efficiency. My brother got a phone called "Huawei ascend Mate2" and its battery long outlives my phone. I typically charge my phone every or every other day while his can go several days on a single charge. Or is this just because I'm using an iPhone 5c and not a 6 variant?

The reason I'm interested in wireless charging is because either one or two of our iPhones have had trouble with damaged charging ports in the past and needed them repaired. My thought is that even if it's not as fast of a charge I can simply never have to plug it into anything negating the possibility of there being a point of failure mechanically. Again it's just this sort of my obsession with finding a reliable product that will last for ages without needing to be replaced. I take super good care of my iPhone so I'm really the only member of my family who has not had to have something fixed or replaced on their iPhone. I went as far as getting a case for my phone back in March so my phone is essentially armored like a tank inside of this plastic+rubber shell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCIUET8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I'm not just trying to be the "cool kid" or something here if that's the impression I'm giving. There are legitimate concerns that are driving my requests. 

As far as gaming goes I Would like nothing more than my mobile phone to completely take over my need for a gameboy/DS that I traditionally use. The iPhone has some nice games, but I hate all the advertisements and micro-transactions. My Brother tells me that the ios app store is much more restrictive and more heavily monetized.

I have a Galaxy S6 and I love it. However, the Galaxy S7 is better so go ahead and get that. The two main reasons why I think it is better...

• Camera- While the camera has less megapixels on the S7 (16 compared to 12), the pixels are actually bigger, causing the S7's camera to take in more light, making it great in low-light photography.
  • microSD slot- The microSD slot is great. It allows you to put in a 200 GB or less microSD card to make your storage up to 264 GB- crazy!