RAM Hogging HELP, this can't be normal!

sterlingr

Recently I've started to encounter windows giving me "not enough memory" warnings, that if I ignore results in the crashing of my computer. I had just attributed this to me working in Premiere Pro and having chrome open at the same time. HOWEVER, today I came across the same warning with nothing but chrome, and the Adobe updater opened. Attached are Resource Monitor screenshots as well as a screenshot of all tabs I had open at the time. Please advise!

Thanks!

RAM.JPG

RAM2.JPG

run a virus scan and it shouldnt be crashing even if all the memory is used up

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

run a virus scan and it shouldnt be crashing even if all the memory is used up

Came back clean... Only been 3 months since windows install. Suggestions? Anyone?

looks like Chrome is using most of that!

There is this big thread about a memory leak on Chrome that dates from 2014 and it seems it's still an issue, the thread is very long but there are a few solutions in there;

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/86yzpxX7aws

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

you have a memory leak id say, check out your non page pool memory on task manager it will be unnder performance and memory then will say page pool and non page pool. when you open internet windows or download it will fill it up and not get rid of it. im still working on this fix myself 

7 minutes ago, jackreading007 said:

you have a memory leak id say, check out your non page pool memory on task manager it will be unnder performance and memory then will say page pool and non page pool. when you open internet windows or download it will fill it up and not get rid of it. im still working on this fix myself 

Fortunately (Unfortunately?) My pages and unpaged pools seem to stay the same size throughout opening tabs, closing them, reopening, closing, downloading, etc

Is this indicative of it NOT being a memory leak?

i cnt advise you sorry, ive just fixed my problem with my non page pool getting so high my ram maxes out and my pc crashes. its my first pc build and no one could help me on this forum lol had to do it all my self via youtube.

my compressed memory was the thing flashing orange at the top of my processes. found out from that about page pools and then so on. does sound like a memory leak though id say. if it is google that is using up your ram on your processes then try googling about or youtube it for a solution to a google memory leak  

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

looks like Chrome is using most of that!

There is this big thread about a memory leak on Chrome that dates from 2014 and it seems it's still an issue, the thread is very long but there are a few solutions in there;

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/86yzpxX7aws

no chrome is only using 3GB at most

1 hour ago, sterlingr said:

Came back clean...

What type of scan did you do?  Most antivirus software is useless. 

I'd recommend Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.com/

If any sort of malicious software is to blame, malwarebytes will hunt it down and beat it to death with its bare hands.

1 minute ago, Matt420740 said:

What type of scan did you do?  Most antivirus software is useless. 

I'd recommend Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.com/

If any sort of malicious software is to blame, malwarebytes will hunt it down and beat it to death with its bare hands.

I used malwarebytes ;) Swear by it.

Update: After watching some netflix, this is the current status. 4Gb are in use but I can't even see how this adds up.... can someone explain?

RAM3.JPG

21 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

no chrome is only using 3GB at most

3GB for a browser is WAY too much.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

3GB for a browser is WAY too much.

yes but doesnt account for the problem in this case

17 minutes ago, sterlingr said:

I used malwarebytes ;) Swear by it.

Update: After watching some netflix, this is the current status. 4Gb are in use but I can't even see how this adds up.... can someone explain?

RAM3.JPG

Look at the link I posted, it's a memory leak that is related to viewing videos within Chrome.

16 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Look at the link I posted, it's a memory leak that is related to viewing videos within Chrome.

As I was watching videos, the memory usage never went up, it stayed the same. Any more suggestions...?

24 minutes ago, sterlingr said:

As I was watching videos, the memory usage never went up, it stayed the same. Any more suggestions...?

try turning off NDU;

1. Press Win+R, in the Run... popup type regedit,
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu
  3. Change the Start value to 4 to disable
  4. Reboot

Let me know if that worked, if not I'll have to dig my notes for more memory problems that I might have solution for.

EDIT; Windows task manager and performance monitor isn't that good, the memory usage rarely adds up correctly, you could try poolmon (from Microsoft WDK) or rammap 1.5 to have a better idea.

41 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

try turning off NDU;

1. Press Win+R, in the Run... popup type regedit,
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu
  3. Change the Start value to 4 to disable
  4. Reboot

Let me know if that worked, if not I'll have to dig my notes for more memory problems that I might have solution for.

EDIT; Windows task manager and performance monitor isn't that good, the memory usage rarely adds up correctly, you could try poolmon (from Microsoft WDK) or rammap 1.5 to have a better idea.

Thanks before I try that I would like to tell you that I have installed RamMap, my "Mapped files" take up 1.2Gb on startup, yet in "file summary" there isn't one file that is taking up much memory. With this information, should I still try uninstalling NDU? Or do you have a different suggestion? Thank you SO MUCH.

6 hours ago, sterlingr said:

Thanks before I try that I would like to tell you that I have installed RamMap, my "Mapped files" take up 1.2Gb on startup, yet in "file summary" there isn't one file that is taking up much memory. With this information, should I still try uninstalling NDU? Or do you have a different suggestion? Thank you SO MUCH.

1.2GB of mapped files seems reasonable (mine is usually between 1.1GB and 1.7GB).

I would try disabling NDU (not uninstalling), NDU stands for "Windows Network Data Usage Monitoring", NDU has been a random problem since Windows 8. so I would disable it, unless you're monitoring your Windows 10 network activity?