Internet bridging problems

Atzilla

Hello guys ,

recently due some problems i ve lost my wired internet connection , and have been using a wireless network since. The regular wireless network i was using had some problems and doesnt works anymore, so i got acces to another wi fi network.

The problem is that i used to bridge the internet connection from my laptop to my main pc( my main pc doesnt have a wifi card/adaptor) , but since i changed the wi fi network the bridge isnt working and all i get on my main pc is the yellow triangle at the network icon , but i can still search the web on my laptop. But the puzzeling thing is that if i change the wi fi network of the laptop i get internet connection on my main pc.I have to mention that the network i use is an option from our Iternet service provider wich lets all its subscribers connect their wi fi networks. Like if you have a wi fi router from them it will have 2 networks , your personal one , and the one dedicated to all its subscribers , and you can connect to it with your client credentials.

Is something wrong with the way i set up the bridge ( all i did is to select the wifi adapter from my laptop and its ethernet port and click bridge)

Or could it be a limitation of the network im using?

If you need aditional infos or explanations , please tell me, thanks

2 hours ago, Atzilla said:

Hello guys ,

recently due some problems i ve lost my wired internet connection , and have been using a wireless network since. The regular wireless network i was using had some problems and doesnt works anymore, so i got acces to another wi fi network.

The problem is that i used to bridge the internet connection from my laptop to my main pc( my main pc doesnt have a wifi card/adaptor) , but since i changed the wi fi network the bridge isnt working and all i get on my main pc is the yellow triangle at the network icon , but i can still search the web on my laptop. But the puzzeling thing is that if i change the wi fi network of the laptop i get internet connection on my main pc.I have to mention that the network i use is an option from our Iternet service provider wich lets all its subscribers connect their wi fi networks. Like if you have a wi fi router from them it will have 2 networks , your personal one , and the one dedicated to all its subscribers , and you can connect to it with your client credentials.

Is something wrong with the way i set up the bridge ( all i did is to select the wifi adapter from my laptop and its ethernet port and click bridge)

Or could it be a limitation of the network im using?

If you need aditional infos or explanations , please tell me, thanks

On your desktop computer you have to do the same login procedure as you did on the laptop when it is connected to the "public" wifi (the one that is not your "private" one). This is because with the bridged connection, your desktop and laptop are both seen as regular members of the network. This is also possibly your problem - the router/modem/whatever may be configured to only accept traffic from the MAC address that is actually connected by wireless, and not any bridged devices.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

On your desktop computer you have to do the same login procedure as you did on the laptop when it is connected to the "public" wifi (the one that is not your "private" one). This is because with the bridged connection, your desktop and laptop are both seen as regular members of the network. This is also possibly your problem - the router/modem/whatever may be configured to only accept traffic from the MAC address that is actually connected by wireless, and not any bridged devices.

and is there a way to somehow trick the pc or something like that?

1 minute ago, Atzilla said:

and is there a way to somehow trick the pc or something like that?

You could try to use the "Internet Connection Sharing" feature of windows, which sort of makes your computer into a router, but it is way harder to set up compared to bridging (make sure bridging is turned off (delete the bridge) before you try to set up ICS).

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

8 minutes ago, brwainer said:

You could try to use the "Internet Connection Sharing" feature of windows, which sort of makes your computer into a router, but it is way harder to set up compared to bridging (make sure bridging is turned off (delete the bridge) before you try to set up ICS).

will try that and come back with feedback

thanks