Administrator Passwords? (Windows 10)

I have recently decided that putting an Administrator Password on my computer would be a good idea. I want to have to type in a password on the execution of programs and installations (or, if anything, just installation). The problem is, however, I cannot seem to figure out how to do this on Windows 10. I have a PIN that I must type in to log on, but past that, I cannot seem to figure out any extra security features. 

So, I was wondering if anyone else could direct me on how to do this. I've already Googled the phrase in several different orders, but I cannot find anything that appears to be reputable. I've fiddled all around in the Windows 10 Settings panel as well as the Control Panel, and still, for the life of me, can't find out how to set an Administrator Password.

If anyone has a link or the know-how on this, please let me know, that would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

5 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I have recently decided that putting an Administrator Password on my computer would be a good idea. I want to have to type in a password on the execution of programs and installations (or, if anything, just installation). The problem is, however, I cannot seem to figure out how to do this on Windows 10. I have a PIN that I must type in to log on, but past that, I cannot seem to figure out any extra security features. 

So, I was wondering if anyone else could direct me on how to do this. I've already Googled the phrase in several different orders, but I cannot find anything that appears to be reputable. I've fiddled all around in the Windows 10 Settings panel as well as the Control Panel, and still, for the life of me, can't find out how to set an Administrator Password.

If anyone has a link or the know-how on this, please let me know, that would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I don't think they have PER PROGRAM PASSWORDs. CHeck under the control panel parental controls section.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Go to control panel -> Security and Maintenance, on the side it should say "Change user account control settings"  Once you done that, you'll get a box with a slider thing. Move it to the top. Like this:

9c4fac3475ca9e8fa45cda375a2d9191.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't think they have PER PROGRAM PASSWORDs. CHeck under the control panel parental controls section.

win7-uac-SteveAdmin-password.gif

Is this what you mean by per program password? I found this on Windows 7, and this is what I would like on Windows 10.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Go to control panel -> Security and Maintenance, on the side it should say "Change user account control settings"  Once you done that, you'll get a box with a slider thing. Move it to the top. Like this:

-snip-

I appreciate this, but I have already done it. While it lets me choose for most, if not all programs, it does not ask me to type in a password. So, if someone has access to my computer, they can do whatever they would like.

Maybe I'm getting too far into this, but I am just super skeptical about viruses. I haven't had a single virus, according to Malware-Bytes/Avast, since I've built this computer over a year ago, so I must be doing okay. But I am still nervous.

13 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Is this what you mean by per program password? I found this on Windows 7, and this is what I would like on Windows 10.

I appreciate this, but I have already done it. While it lets me choose for most, if not all programs, it does not ask me to type in a password. So, if someone has access to my computer, they can do whatever they would like.

Maybe I'm getting too far into this, but I am just super skeptical about viruses. I haven't had a single virus, according to Malware-Bytes/Avast, since I've built this computer over a year ago, so I must be doing okay. But I am still nervous.

Well The settings only works when non-admin users try to install programs. That's when it prompts the password. Because you're the Admin. It would not ask for your password. That's what I do. My sister/brother have a user on my PC. They'll need my password to install programs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

7 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Well The settings only works when non-admin users try to install programs. That's when it prompts the password. Because you're the Admin. It would not ask for your password. That's what I do. My sister/brother have a user on my account. They'll need my password to install programs.

If someone gains remote access to my computer and attempts to enable a program, it would still be under Administrator access, though, right? So the only way to prevent this would be to switch to a secondary user?

13 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

If someone gains remote access to my computer and attempts to enable a program, it would still be under Administrator access, though, right? So the only way to prevent this would be to switch to a secondary user?

Yes. :) Try it. Create a second user, but don't make it as an admin and test it out. 

2 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Yep.

17 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

You were the one who wanted this

{Quote] want to have to type in a password on the execution of programs and installations (or, if anything, just installation).[/Quote]

This should work  on Windows 10.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You were the one who wanted this

{Quote] want to have to type in a password on the execution of programs and installations (or, if anything, just installation).[/Quote]

This should work  on Windows 10.

I think we're misunderstanding each other, or at least I am misunderstanding you. Yes, I do want to have to type a password in for the programs or installations. I want it to look just like what Steve has on his computer (the posted image). So, I was asking how to do this.

I believe I was confused when you said per program passwords, so I posted the image as a question, asking if that was what you meant and if Windows 10 had that (what the image is showing).

I'm sorry I'm sounding so confusing, I can tell while I'm typing that I am not quite awake yet.

31 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I think we're misunderstanding each other, or at least I am misunderstanding you. Yes, I do want to have to type a password in for the programs or installations. I want it to look just like what Steve has on his computer (the posted image). So, I was asking how to do this.

I believe I was confused when you said per program passwords, so I posted the image as a question, asking if that was what you meant and if Windows 10 had that (what the image is showing).

I'm sorry I'm sounding so confusing, I can tell while I'm typing that I am not quite awake yet.

I think you have to make another account in Control Panel>User Accounts and make that account an admin and your current account a standard account. That way you will have to type in the admin account's password every time it is required in something.