[Help] Cosair Dominator Platinum OR Gskill Trident Z

Currently building a no compromise black and white system, and need some opinions.  I have always been heart set on Corsair Dominator Platinum since I was saving up money for this build many years ago.  But..... with the arrival of the brushed black aluminum with white accents of Gskill Trident Z I am now torn.  I would probably get 2x16 gig sticks around 3200mhz~ to start with eventually filling to 128gigs total.  I am more so split on asthetics than performance.  It also looks like the Gskill ram comes with lifetime warranty as well.  

I wouldn't go with either, to match your no compromise black and white, I'd go with some kingston hyper x/savage memory.

You don't need 3200MHz, it really doesn't matter

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I wouldn't go with either, to match your no compromise black and white, I'd go with some kingston hyper x/savage memory.

You don't need 3200MHz, it really doesn't matter

Thanks for feedback, didn't look into those at all to be honest. I do like the ones I mentioned more for aesthetics though, and as far as 3200mhz I understand.  The build is really over the top all around, even though its unnecessary power.

6 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

I bought the red version of the Trident Z and painted the red strip myself and I am loving the looks.

large.DSC_0264.JPG

omfg sick man!! thanks for the post! Looks super clean, are these much lower profile than the corsair dominator platinums?

personally I prefer tg.skill's looks but in terms of performance it doesn't really matter. So just pick the one you like more based on the looks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

If this thread is mostly about aesthetics, then its nothing anyone can really help you with. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I will say this though, if you're going for black and white, the Dominators are actually quite silver on the top with white (customizable with kit extensions) LED showing through whereas Trident Z is legitimately white and black on the top. I'm savng up right now for a white/black/blue build, and I'm going to use Dominators for their silver tops so my silver watercooling fixtures don't loot as out of place, but this decision definitely gave me pause as well haha

The other thing is that I think the Dominators are slightly taller, if that makes any difference. (although i don't know this for certain)

5 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

personally I prefer tg.skill's looks but in terms of performance it doesn't really matter. So just pick the one you like more based on the looks

Yeah I am going based off looks for the most part. Wanted to get others opinion on it.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

If this thread is mostly about aesthetics, then its nothing anyone can really help you with. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I will say this though, if you're going for black and white, the Dominators are actually quite silver on the top with white (customizable with kit extensions) LED showing through whereas Trident Z is legitimately white and black on the top. I'm savng up right now for a white/black/blue build, and I'm going to use Dominators for their silver tops so my silver watercooling fixtures don't loot as out of place, but this decision definitely gave me pause as well haha

The other thing is that I think the Dominators are slightly taller, if that makes any difference. (although i don't know this for certain)

True you are right 100% still wanted some second opinions more so based on me doing a black and white build.  I guess if I go white fittings even more reason to go with trident z's.  If I go chrome fittings maybe dominators.  With the build being mostly black and white regardless I think the dominators might look out of place even though I think they look damn sexy.

I don't think I will have a clearance issue but it is good to know the dominators are taller.  That's funny how you were heart set on dominators but seeing these trident ram you were like wait a second... those look pretty sexy. haha.

G.Skills blows Corsair's dominator platinum out of the water. G.Skills makes the best ram out there, hence why if you see an overclocker, your going to also see TridentZ

3 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

G.Skills blows Corsair's dominator platinum out of the water. G.Skills makes the best ram out there, hence why if you see an overclocker, your going to also see TridentZ

Best on DDR3 And DDR4 (Somewhat DDR2 Aswell)

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Best on DDR3 And DDR4 (Somewhat DDR2 Aswell)

Good to hear then maybe I am making the better decision going with Gskill trident z.  It says they have a lifetime warrenty too?! wtf :o how?

3 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Yessss this is what I like to hear! esp with someone with 4k posts holy cow! Has Linus ever reviewed these? I dont think so, I wish he did.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Good to hear then maybe I am making the better decision going with Gskill trident z.  It says they have a lifetime warrenty too?! wtf :o how?

Yessss this is what I like to hear! esp with someone with 4k posts holy cow! Has Linus ever reviewed these? I dont think so, I wish he did.

Lifetime does not mean your life time. Lifetime means as long as the product is produced.

Just now, TheGamingBarrel said:

Lifetime does not mean your life time. Lifetime means as long as the product is produced.

haha doh.  I'm dumb.  But still thats pretty cool! xD

29 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

G.Skill may even be coming out with a 4500 MHz kit soon.

That's gonna need to be something I buy...

Just for the sheer RAM  speed. Not even the fact that the latency will be through the roof. Just so I can say "I have a kit of 4500MHz DDR4

30 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

G.Skill may even be coming out with a 4500 MHz kit soon.

May? I thought it was announced offically at computex? they broke the world record over clocking it to 5189mhz

1 minute ago, Ronnie76 said:

Just for the sheer RAM  speed. Not even the fact that the latency will be through the roof. Just so I can say "I have a kit of 4500MHz DDR4

yeah seriously just for whos can piss further type of situation haha.  I saw they broke the world record overclocking it to 5189mhz. Talk about speed.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

That is 4500 On AIR, Something very hard to do.

40 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Remember, it'll feel like a lifetime because DDR4 just became mainstream ;)

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

May? I thought it was announced offically at computex? they broke the world record over clocking it to 5189mhz

yeah seriously just for whos can piss further type of situation haha.  I saw they broke the world record overclocking it to 5189mhz. Talk about speed.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe that was also set on a Z170M OF OCFormula.

That also defines me, doing things just to piss people off xD 

40 minutes ago, H2O said:

@LinusTech you really should do a review on G.Skills TridentZ (Perhaps on this specific kit) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232194&cm_re=TridentZ-_-20-232-194-_-Product

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Extremely hard to do, I bet you they'll cost a pretty penny, I also wonder what voltage its running at

49 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Yeah, good point, now water cooling ram might actually be worth it!? lol  Well... real performance games still probably not, but at least you feel like you have a purpose. 

48 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Remember, it'll feel like a lifetime because DDR4 just became mainstream ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe that was also set on a Z170M OF OCFormula.

That also defines me, doing things just to piss people off xD 

@LinusTech you really should do a review on G.Skills TridentZ (Perhaps on this specific kit) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232194&cm_re=TridentZ-_-20-232-194-_-Product

Extremely hard to do, I bet you they'll cost a pretty penny, I also wonder what voltage its running at

Does Linus normally really look at those types of things? That would be super cool! I am still new here.

And good point its new new ram so it should last at least until I am ready for a new upgrade! :D (this ram probably is unlikely to fail though, knock on wood.)

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Yeah, good point, now water cooling ram might actually be worth it!? lol  Well... real performance games still probably not, but at least you feel like you have a purpose. 

Water cooling it wont really make sense unless you are using a chiller.

25 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Water cooling it wont really make sense unless you are using a chiller.

Pardon my ignorance, but whys that? normal water cooled ram would not cool it enough on that high of voltage / mhz?  This would be a cool thing for Luke to test in the workshop.  High mhz ram on air vs water vs LN2,  Along with Linus doing a review of some trident z ram! :D

edit when you say chiller you mean LN2 config right?

32 minutes ago, H2O said:

Pardon my ignorance, but whys that? normal water cooled ram would not cool it enough on that high of voltage / mhz?  This would be a cool thing for Luke to test in the workshop.  High mhz ram on air vs water vs LN2,  Along with Linus doing a review of some trident z ram! :D

edit when you say chiller you mean LN2 config right?

he means a water chiller

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 hour ago, Jumper118 said:

he means a water chiller

well I guess I am dumb I had no clue this existed. I just researched it.  That is mental! haha

35 minutes ago, H2O said:

You were right about it making no difference to ram speeds though.  Only ln2 on certain types of ram is faster. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

15 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

You were right about it making no difference to ram speeds though.  Only ln2 on certain types of ram is faster. 

Hynix :D

OP trident-Z is way to go, just be careful which ones you get :)

13 hours ago, harrynowl said:

Hynix :D

OP trident-Z is way to go, just be careful which ones you get :)

Thanks! and what do you mean careful which ones I get? like speed wise? 

also these are the exact set im looking at getting now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232329

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel X99 Platform Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C16Q-64GTZKW

DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Timing 16-18-18-38

Cas Latency 16

Voltage 1.35V