Newbie Needing PC Necessities Help

Hello LinusTechTips community, I am currently in the market for building my own triple --possibly quad-- display monitor, gaming/animation-creating, video editing behemoth. So to not get carried away with the introduction, I’m going to get straight into the possible components of my build:

CPU:
I haven’t chose which brand to go with yet, at first I favored AMD; however, now I feel like leaning more toward Intel for the best performance for both gaming and animation/video editing. But here are my findings on what may be my choice on each brand.

Intel- [Core i7-5820K] or [Core i7-5930K] (I don’t think 0.1 of max GHz would be worth the extra ~$196, that is unless having 12 more PCI express lanes makes a gigantic difference). Crap, now they have released more processors ie: the 6000 series.

AMD- [FX-9590] I’m looking at this processor and I can’t seem to find one bad thing about it. 8 cores, 8 threads, 5 GHz Max, AND it’s unlocked, all for as little as $230 (for a processor)! Besides not having double the threads to cores, the pros of AMD outweigh the pros of the Intel products mentioned above. However I still can’t help but to feel that AMD might be that plastic knock off compared to Intel.

?Nvidia- I guess they don’t have desktop CPU’s... I feel dumb for thinking the Tegra was.

Motherboard:
I can’t yet decide on a mobo, but I found these on PCPartsPicker, the list is ordered in the likelihood of me purchasing based on the CPU compatability and whatnot.
1.Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+
2.Asus 970 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX AM3+
3.Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+
4.Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+
5.Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 ATX AM3+

I plan to run either Crossfire or SLI.

RAM:
For memory, I’m pretty sure that a HyperX is a safe bet. However, I would like to know which HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 would be best for the rig. Upon delving further into the RAM side of PC building, I happen to stumble across Corsair -- which I didn’t realize had DRAM products. So now I’m torn between HyperX and Corsair.

HyperX being the more gaming oriented choice, but Corsair is an all around professional product. In my case, I need more than just the great ability to game, but to also have to option to edit high quality videos and create smooth animation with ease.

GPU:
As mentioned prior, I want to run a pair of GPUs in SLI or Crossfire.
I'm thinking about using an R9 series from AMD if I get their CPU. 
A GTX 1080 might not be completely out of the question, however I’d have to wait longer to run two side-by-side. Plus they are currently out of stock, but if anyone can help me find a perfect pair of GPUs to play games and still be useful for more professional stuff like drawing/animation/video editing, that would be fantastic.

Case:
I’d probably buy a Cooler Master CM Custom Stryker or Trooper-Window.
But any suggestions will be appreciated.

Storage:
I have an idea of using a HDD for storage of games and such, then using a SSD for booting.
However, I’m not sure how to go about this. (like in the startup settings)

HDD- Not sure if there is a best, but I’d probably get a 2-3 TB one. (From Kingston?)
SSD- HyperX Predator PCIe SSD (This thing seems like a read/write monster) I won’t need much storage since I want to use it as a boot instead of storing things.

PSU:
I know this list is very incomplete, it’s basically me just asking for suggestions on what I should get. But either way, once all the parts are chosen, I’ll go on Cooler Master/Outer Vision and calculate the wattage and whatnot to choose the Power Supply.

Display(s):
I wanted to go all out with 3 [ROG SWIFT PG348Q] but after looking at the price tags and refresh rate I reconsidered. I still want to get something similar in the far future, but for now I want a monitor with a 100Hz refresh rate or above, BUT I cannot stress enough how I also want one with a near seamless bezel and to be 4K/UHD capable like the [ROG Swift PG27AQ] yet still have the refresh rate and response time of a [MG278Q]. So far I have only looked at ASUS’s monitors.

Cooling:
Liquid Cooling by ekwb. What is your opinion about liquid cooled GPU, Mobo, RAM, and SSD?
Also I’m going to attempt hard line water cooling. And yes. This is my first time building a PC, and starting off like this may not be the best idea and it will probably be difficult for a noob, but no matter. I’m up for the challenge and I have some friends that could help… or at least watch my struggle.

Keyboard:
I’m going to get a nice and flashy [Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — Cherry MX Red] for the macros and light effects.

Mouse:
Why not get a mouse to match the keyboard? I’ll probably get a [M65 PRO RGB Black] or [Scimitar RGB Black], UNLESS I can be given some proof that any MAD CATZ R.A.T. mouse is better than the ones prior. (I do have to say they look pretty badass).

Sound:
Ok, so this part of the build is most likely going to be overlooked by the majority; however I would like to have a beefed up sound card fore I have a pair of Shure SE846’s and would like to get the most bang for my buck. Any recommendations would be lovely, I’ve got no experience or knowledge of soundcards. I don’t think I should go with ASUS for with one because I’ve heard that Creative is better, so I’ll probably go with their lead soundcard.

Operating System:
Windows 10

Thank you for reading! I’m new to this whole thing, but please don’t be hesitant to make a detailed reply, I’m really looking forward to finally taking the steps forward to start my first build. I’ll be sure to check this thread 24/7 and update it as needed. If you have any questions pertaining to the build, I can be contacted through twitter @Sheepington420… yeah yeah ik… i was younger at the time of making the account.

I'm too lazy to make a pcpartpicker build :P but I can make some comments:

#1 Don't get an fx 9590. It'll lag horribly behind a 5820k on games and video editing. And personally I don't find a 5930k worth it compared to a 5820k, so I'd recommend a 5820k for you for a CPU.

#2 None of those mobos work with a 5820k;you will need an x99 mobo for that.

#3 You need ddr4 ram for a 5820k. I'd recommend using four sticks to help speed up rendering.

#4 You could wait until the end of June to see the performance of the rx 480 and then decide on your GPU.

#5 I wouldn't recommend that ssd since sequential read and writes don't matter much. If you want a high performance ssd I'd recommend a Samsung 950 pro.

Thats all I can think of! I'm sure someone will come along and make a pcpartpicker build :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

oh wow there is a LOOOOOOOOT of stuff to answer here and sort out and shit.. wow.. ok here we go!

CPU:

the AMD CPU you looked at is complete SHIT for its price and there is like one or two motherboards that support it because it draws an insaine amount of power(IIRC, not super sure on my AMD game but there not a good option here)

i would go with a Core i7-5820K for this build from the processors you have looked at and its a good choice for what you want to do with your computer.

Motherboard:

Ok assuming you are going with the Core i7-5820K you will need a X99 motherboard to support the processor, go look at your options and pick one that suits your budget, has X-fire and SLI support(because you wanted to run multiple graphics cards) and has all the IO(usb ports and that stuff) and that you thing look good.

RAM:

I would go for either some nice looking HyperX RAM that 1: fit your motherboard(DDR3 or DDR4 im pretty sure there are X99 motherboards that support both kinds, not one one board but different boards different ram so just make sure you know what RAM slots it has and what speeds and stuff there at :) ) 2: seeing as this seems like a pretty high budget performance/workstation build i would suggest going for as high speed you can find 3: getting 16GB of RAM, seeing as this is leaning towards performance/workstation i would get at least 16GB of ram in a 2x8GB configuration so you can take advantage of dual channel speeds and all that stuff and the capacity is just nice to have, since i upgraded to 16GB its been a blessing for me. also dont be afraid to semi cheep out on RAM if you need to bring down the price some :) 

GPU:

For GPU i would get a single 1080 right now and then later upgrading to a possible SLI configuration if you feel like you need it, but look around for used 980TIs and TITAN Xs and similar and you might just find a pair for less money then a new 1080, i know i have seen used 980TIs go for pretty cheep here in Sweden at least so take a look at your options but make sure not to get anything before we see how the RX 480 preforms and if you can wait hold off until AMD releases its Vega line of graphics cards this fall/Q1 next year, and always remember to check benchmarks before buying a graphics card! :) 

Case:

Just get something you think looks nice with all the features you want that also suits your budget, decide on this AFTER you pick everything else out and then make sure that everything you want to have fits in it.

Storage:

I would suggest something like a 250GB 850 PRO from Samsung for your boot SSD and for files that need to be access quickly and then 1 or 2 2TB HDDs for bulk storage, depends on how much you think you will need for all your bulk(pictures, games, random programs, ect...)

PSU:

i would go for something like the EVGA Super Nova 650 G2, its a 650W PSU with an 80+ gold rating, its what i have and its great but i would also look into getting something like an 800W PSU if you want to run dual GPUs, its a bit overkill but i would always recommend some headroom for overclocking and other stuff :) go with either SeaSonic, EVGA or Corssair but just stay away from the low end PSUs like Corsairs CX series because there pretty bad tbh.

Displays:

I have no idea, dont ask me about this but what your asking for seems like its never going to be cheep anyway so take a look at some 1440p panels or something. this is really not something im good at :P

Cooling:

Another subject im not great at when its liquid based but sure go for a custom look if you want to, just make sure to look up some good info and watch some tutorials. i can recommend JaysTwoCents for this, he is a master at it and he is someone i would say is a good explainer in most cases. :) 

Keyboard:

Solid choice to go with the K95 RGB , i personally have a K70 non RGB with cherry browns and its the best thing in the word xD 

Mouse:

Another good choice, the R.A.T. has been known to just die after a month or two in some cases so i would stay away, but i can point to what i have which is a Luom G10, it looks pretty good but its more of a budget china thing in quality but i REALLY like it and think its a great deal, but for a more trusted brand you had some good choices, i would also look at Logitechs lineup here!

Sound:

I personally have a sound card and i wouldnt say its needed, i LIKE having it but its not great. its admittedly a REALLY old card from like 2005 or something that i just found on my floor and slammed in my PC but its a Creative card and there drivers are not the best from my experience and i would recommend ASUS here but Creative is also good.

not much to say here, good choice :)

Hope this helps and wasent too much to read and i would love to see a build log of this PC if it gets made and always remember that were here to answer your questions :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I'm too lazy to make a pcpartpicker build :P but I can make some comments:

#1 Don't get an fx 9590. It'll lag horribly behind a 5820k on games and video editing. And personally I don't find a 5930k worth it compared to a 5820k, so I'd recommend a 5820k for you for a CPU.

#2 None of those mobos work with a 5820k;you will need an x99 mobo for that.

#3 You need ddr4 ram for a 5820k. I'd recommend using four sticks to help speed up rendering.

#4 You could wait until the end of June to see the performance of the rx 480 and then decide on your GPU.

#5 I wouldn't recommend that ssd since sequential read and writes don't matter much. If you want a high performance ssd I'd recommend a Samsung 950 pro.

Thats all I can think of! I'm sure someone will come along and make a pcpartpicker build :) 

Thanks! I'll defiantly follow your advice! :D

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

oh wow there is a LOOOOOOOOT of stuff to answer here and sort out and shit.. wow.. ok here we go!

CPU:

the AMD CPU you looked at is complete SHIT for its price and there is like one or two motherboards that support it because it draws an insaine amount of power(IIRC, not super sure on my AMD game but there not a good option here)

i would go with a Core i7-5820K for this build from the processors you have looked at and its a good choice for what you want to do with your computer.

Motherboard:

Ok assuming you are going with the Core i7-5820K you will need a X99 motherboard to support the processor, go look at your options and pick one that suits your budget, has X-fire and SLI support(because you wanted to run multiple graphics cards) and has all the IO(usb ports and that stuff) and that you thing look good.

RAM:

I would go for either some nice looking HyperX RAM that 1: fit your motherboard(DDR3 or DDR4 im pretty sure there are X99 motherboards that support both kinds, not one one board but different boards different ram so just make sure you know what RAM slots it has and what speeds and stuff there at :) ) 2: seeing as this seems like a pretty high budget performance/workstation build i would suggest going for as high speed you can find 3: getting 16GB of RAM, seeing as this is leaning towards performance/workstation i would get at least 16GB of ram in a 2x8GB configuration so you can take advantage of dual channel speeds and all that stuff and the capacity is just nice to have, since i upgraded to 16GB its been a blessing for me. also dont be afraid to semi cheep out on RAM if you need to bring down the price some :) 

GPU:

For GPU i would get a single 1080 right now and then later upgrading to a possible SLI configuration if you feel like you need it, but look around for used 980TIs and TITAN Xs and similar and you might just find a pair for less money then a new 1080, i know i have seen used 980TIs go for pretty cheep here in Sweden at least so take a look at your options but make sure not to get anything before we see how the RX 480 preforms and if you can wait hold off until AMD releases its Vega line of graphics cards this fall/Q1 next year, and always remember to check benchmarks before buying a graphics card! :) 

Case:

Just get something you think looks nice with all the features you want that also suits your budget, decide on this AFTER you pick everything else out and then make sure that everything you want to have fits in it.

Storage:

I would suggest something like a 250GB 850 PRO from Samsung for your boot SSD and for files that need to be access quickly and then 1 or 2 2TB HDDs for bulk storage, depends on how much you think you will need for all your bulk(pictures, games, random programs, ect...)

PSU:

i would go for something like the EVGA Super Nova 650 G2, its a 650W PSU with an 80+ gold rating, its what i have and its great but i would also look into getting something like an 800W PSU if you want to run dual GPUs, its a bit overkill but i would always recommend some headroom for overclocking and other stuff :) go with either SeaSonic, EVGA or Corssair but just stay away from the low end PSUs like Corsairs CX series because there pretty bad tbh.

Displays:

I have no idea, dont ask me about this but what your asking for seems like its never going to be cheep anyway so take a look at some 1440p panels or something. this is really not something im good at :P

Cooling:

Another subject im not great at when its liquid based but sure go for a custom look if you want to, just make sure to look up some good info and watch some tutorials. i can recommend JaysTwoCents for this, he is a master at it and he is someone i would say is a good explainer in most cases. :) 

Keyboard:

Solid choice to go with the K95 RGB , i personally have a K70 non RGB with cherry browns and its the best thing in the word xD 

Mouse:

Another good choice, the R.A.T. has been known to just die after a month or two in some cases so i would stay away, but i can point to what i have which is a Luom G10, it looks pretty good but its more of a budget china thing in quality but i REALLY like it and think its a great deal, but for a more trusted brand you had some good choices, i would also look at Logitechs lineup here!

Sound:

I personally have a sound card and i wouldnt say its needed, i LIKE having it but its not great. its admittedly a REALLY old card from like 2005 or something that i just found on my floor and slammed in my PC but its a Creative card and there drivers are not the best from my experience and i would recommend ASUS here but Creative is also good.

not much to say here, good choice :)

Hope this helps and wasent too much to read and i would love to see a build log of this PC if it gets made and always remember that were here to answer your questions :D 

Holy crap, I never thought I'd get a reply, much less a lengthy one like this! I love reading these types of long, well thought of replies because they contain so much information! Thank you again, and I'll definitely make a build log once this project goes underway (Hopefully sometime this summer).

5 minutes ago, ASAP_Gooby said:

Holy crap, I never thought I'd get a reply, much less a lengthy one like this! I love reading these types of long, well thought of replies because they contain so much information! Thank you again, and I'll definitely make a build log once this project goes underway (Hopefully sometime this summer).

hey no problem, it was my pleasure just typing away at full speed on my keyboard after beeing away in my cabin for a week xD  well im glad i was of help here and feel free to make more threads and ask for more help if there is anything you are wondering about when picking parts or other thing :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2016 at 4:36 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Hey dude, It's finally about to happen after so long! If you want to follow my build log, here's the link: