Gaming/Streaming build

Bugses

Hi everybody,

So my computer is kinda old by now, and I'm planning to build a whole new PC.

The reason for not picking a GPU in this build, is that I'm waiting to see the 1070/1080/AMD prices before I decide on that.

I also already have SSDs.

I'm gonna use it for gaming/streaming on a 1440p 60hz(might be 144hz later on) monitor.

Here is what I got so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cQDRBP

I'm not sure about which case. I'm looking at the Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX (very expensive) or something like the MasterCase Pro 5.

The thing is though, I dont need a side window, but what I do appreciate is that it seems very easy to install a system in the Phanteks and MasterCase, but more so in the Phanteks. So if you can recommend me anything, please do.

What do you think?

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

If you dont need a sidewindow go for a silent case like the fractal desingn define r5. Also very easy to build in believe me!

12 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Hi everybody,

The reason for not picking a GPU in this build, is that I'm waiting to see the 1070/1080/AMD prices before I decide on that.

I'm gonna use it for gaming/streaming on a 1440p 60hz(might be 144hz later on) monitor.

I'm not sure about which case. I'm looking at the Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX (very expensive) or something like the MasterCase Pro 5.

The thing is though, I dont need a side window, but what I do appreciate is that it seems very easy to install a system in the Phanteks and MasterCase, but more so in the Phanteks. So if you can recommend me anything, please do.

What do you think?

change the psu and you good

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

12 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Hi everybody,

What do you think?

you might wanna get a cooler unless you want to damage that i7

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Thanks a lot. I'll have a look at those, but dont you think I would need a max of 600 watt? As far as I've understood, the new GPUs uses very little power?

4 minutes ago, MJ... said:

If you dont need a sidewindow go for a silent case like the fractal desingn define r5. Also very easy to build in believe me!

Thanks for the tip :) Yeah I know it says that I need a CPU cooler, but in my country, Denmark, I can buy it boxed with a standard Intel cooler. In time, I'll buy a AIO liquid cooler.

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2

4 minutes ago, Bugses said:

Thanks a lot. I'll have a look at those, but dont you think I would need a max of 600 watt? As far as I've understood, the new GPUs uses very little power?

Thanks for the tip :) Yeah I know it says that I need a CPU cooler, but in my country, Denmark, I can buy it boxed with a standard Intel cooler. In time, I'll buy a AIO liquid cooler.

I am really against intel coolers but if you really want to spare for an aio its your choice. However, an air coller from bequiet for example combined with a silent case really makes your pc dead silent and is a great cooling option too (+less expensive)

25 minutes ago, Bugses said:

You do not need a 600W PSU, your computer will run fine on a 450W PSU, It is just that the PSU you choose is just not very good, 

38 minutes ago, MJ... said:

I am really against intel coolers but if you really want to spare for an aio its your choice. However, an air coller from bequiet for example combined with a silent case really makes your pc dead silent and is a great cooling option too (+less expensive)

I'll take that into account. Thank you :)

16 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You do not need a 600W PSU, your computer will run fine on a 450W PSU, It is just that the PSU you choose is just not very good, 

Understood, thanks :)

Would it be better going for a 5850K, when I need it for both streaming and gaming?

• 2 weeks later...

So I've just been Googling a bit, and I'm slightly confused now. Do you think I would even be able to feel the upgrade from a 3570K OC´ed to 4Ghz to a 6700K? Or is my money better spent on a GTX 1070, coming from a R9 290?

And as I said, I'm both streaming and gaming from the same computer.

A 6700K is base clock at 4.0 Ghz. you could add a easy 10% OC to it probably or a conservative 4.2Ghz without much trouble. Also Sky lake is said to have more power per clock cycle due to lower memory latency or better instruction execution than older CPU's. I believe its an average of 2% but I’m not sure exactly. you can see the details here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/9

With game streaming you typically want a couple additional threads. your old CPU is 4 core no hyper thread. The 6700K is 4 core hyper headed for 8 threads. So yea you should notice lol. It may not be ground-breaking but when your system starts getting taxed with a lot of different programs going on while gaming it will handle it more gracefully

Hope that helps

Cheers

31 minutes ago, Master Sonic Wisebeard said:

A 6700K is base clock at 4.0 Ghz. you could add a easy 10% OC to it probably or a conservative 4.2Ghz without much trouble. Also Sky lake is said to have more power per clock cycle due to lower memory latency or better instruction execution than older CPU's. I believe its an average of 2% but I’m not sure exactly. you can see the details here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/9

With game streaming you typically want a couple additional threads. your old CPU is 4 core no hyper thread. The 6700K is 4 core hyper headed for 8 threads. So yea you should notice lol. It may not be ground-breaking but when your system starts getting taxed with a lot of different programs going on while gaming it will handle it more gracefully

Hope that helps

Cheers

Thanks alot for your detailed answer. Would you say, that I would benefit even more from getting a 5850k, or would it be a minor upgrade over a 6700k?

Hey Bugses

by 5850k I’m guessing you mean 6850k. I if google is to be believed intel doesn’t make a 5850k. they make a 5850hq but that’s laptop territory

so on that assumption, probably not. I can't say for sure. There is always a balance between more slower cores vs many faster cores. Plus there is how turbo boost works. Someone may have to correct me on this but the way it works for Xeons is they temporarily increase the clock speed of only a couple cores when needed / power and thermals allow. As you can see by this comparison

http://ark.intel.com/compare/88094,65520,94188,88195

The 6850K runs .4 Ghz slower and boosts .2 Ghz lower. To boot the boost is only on a few of the cores. Typically people only report the max turbo speed when in reality it’s more of a graph. As more cores are turbo'd the fastest cores can't reach the speeds they were before. There is a frequency profile to cpus. Less relevent on the consumer side of things because we typically talk about small core count cpu but this is a bigger deal on the server side. Basically at some point the cpu will only be able to sustain a turbo on all cores that is less that what is often reported. see link below

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8730/intel-haswellep-xeon-14-core-review-e52695-v3-and-e52697-v3/5

Overclocking changes it all up though but to OC a 6850k you will need a significant heatsink

And after all that it comes to if you don’t use the extra threads then you are paying for more cores that you don’t need to. The 6850K is a stronger processor, in select scenarios that use all of its cores over the 6700K. But if you don't use them why buy them? The 6700K should win in single threaded workload due to faster core / boot frequency. Also the 6850K is a 2011-v3 socket chip so you'd need a typically more expensive motherboard to fit it. you're probably good with a 6700K, its a good processor, has all the new toys of skylake architecture, has double the threads of your current CPU, and it isn’t stupid expensive. (6850k +$300 ish as per intels recommended customer price)

on the other hand... if you're cool with spending the money and your in the middle of a game steam and your very annoying resource hungry antivirus decides to do a scan, your comp will have the extra threads available ... :P

hope it helps

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Master Sonic Wisebeard said:

Hey Bugses

by 5850k I’m guessing you mean 6850k. I if google is to be believed intel doesn’t make a 5850k. they make a 5850hq but that’s laptop territory

so on that assumption, probably not. I can't say for sure. There is always a balance between more slower cores vs many faster cores. Plus there is how turbo boost works. Someone may have to correct me on this but the way it works for Xeons is they temporarily increase the clock speed of only a couple cores when needed / power and thermals allow. As you can see by this comparison

http://ark.intel.com/compare/88094,65520,94188,88195

The 6850K runs .4 Ghz slower and boosts .2 Ghz lower. To boot the boost is only on a few of the cores. Typically people only report the max turbo speed when in reality it’s more of a graph. As more cores are turbo'd the fastest cores can't reach the speeds they were before. There is a frequency profile to cpus. Less relevent on the consumer side of things because we typically talk about small core count cpu but this is a bigger deal on the server side. Basically at some point the cpu will only be able to sustain a turbo on all cores that is less that what is often reported. see link below

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8730/intel-haswellep-xeon-14-core-review-e52695-v3-and-e52697-v3/5

Overclocking changes it all up though but to OC a 6850k you will need a significant heatsink

And after all that it comes to if you don’t use the extra threads then you are paying for more cores that you don’t need to. The 6850K is a stronger processor, in select scenarios that use all of its cores over the 6700K. But if you don't use them why buy them? The 6700K should win in single threaded workload due to faster core / boot frequency. Also the 6850K is a 2011-v3 socket chip so you'd need a typically more expensive motherboard to fit it. you're probably good with a 6700K, its a good processor, has all the new toys of skylake architecture, has double the threads of your current CPU, and it isn’t stupid expensive. (6850k +$300 ish as per intels recommended customer price)

on the other hand... if you're cool with spending the money and your in the middle of a game steam and your very annoying resource hungry antivirus decides to do a scan, your comp will have the extra threads available ... :P

hope it helps

Cheers

I'm very sorry that I wasted your time. I meant a 5820k, thats my fault.

On 6/30/2016 at 2:08 PM, Bugses said:

I'm very sorry that I wasted your time. I meant a 5820k, thats my fault.

I think the 6700K would serve you better than a 5820k.

i7 6700K

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

4.0 GHz base

4.2 Ghz Turbo

4 Core hyper thread

14 nm construction

Skylake 1151 Socket

I7 5820K

http://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

3.3 GHz base

3.6 Ghz Turbo

6 Core hyper thread

22 nm construction

Broadwell 2011-3 socket  (you'd need a different motherboard that would be more expensive)

+50$ says intel’s website

The 6700K ticks more box's than the 5820K and for less money. i think the 6700K's faster cores will serve you better than having 2 more cores with the 5820K.

Keep in mind you are comming from a 3rd gen 4 core i7. You're going to have double the multi tasking capabilties right off the bat. The 6700K is pretty solid and one of the best around. It's the biggest and best that will fit in a 1151 socket

On 19.6.2016 at 4:31 PM, Bugses said:

Would it be better going for a 5850K 5820K, when I need it for both streaming and gaming?

I would say it depends: If the game itself utilizes the 4 cores of the 6700K and You want some power left for streaming or capturing, or whatever You might want to parallel, Yes the 2 more cores come in handy.

But the 5820K really only works well for gaming if You OC it, I myself have it OC'ed to 4,3 GHz and it runs like a charm, though a bit hot when on full load, but the D15 cools it down all right.

That being said, I dont stream whilst gaming, but I transcode video files quite often and when I change the task priority of said transcoding, I can play GTA V in 1440p plus encode some video files just fine.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K CPU @ 4,3 GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: ASUS X99-A/USB-3.1 Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400 Optical: LG GH24NS DVD Burner Optical: BD Reader SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB SATA 6GB's PSU: Seasonic X650 Video Card: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 Case: fractal design Define R5 black OS: Windows 10 64bit Monitor: Dell U2715H