Headphones Vs. Earbuds?

z123killer

Earbuds- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-gumy-plus-in-ear-headphones-black/4146265.p?id=1218457009015&skuId=4146265  ($10)  

Headphones- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-zx-series-on-ear-headphones-black/8618232.p?id=1219354098299&skuId=8618232  ($20)

Which should I buy? And do you have any other recommendations in the price range

(Don't base your decision off of portability)  

these bad boys are better than those two , but you will have to wait about 15-30 days

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Between the two, go for the Sony ones...

I've tried the JVC Gumy In-Ears at one of the shops here... I cannot recommend them unless you have a good equalizer on your device...

59 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

these bad boys are better than those two , but you will have to wait about 15-30 days

I agree with this guy. for $5, they sound PHENOMENAL. 

I can't wrap my head around how good they sounded. 

10 hours ago, Dackzy said:

9 hours ago, gilang01 said:

I agree with this guy. for $5, they sound PHENOMENAL. 

I can't wrap my head around how good they sounded. 

I would prefer a suggestion form BestBuy because I have a gift card that I don't need

Former Bestbuy audio salesperson here ;^)

I went and bought a crap ton of cheap earbuds one day and these were my favorites 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/skullcandy-inkd-2-earbud-headphones-black/6461052.p?id=1218738048111&skuId=6461052

Sony's only decent headphones are their Extra Bass Lineup, the rest is just gonna be similar cheap drivers up sold because of the brand name.

Although, now I only flex with $300+ headphones running off an AMP/DAC for that sweet crispy clarity.

5 minutes ago, ToeJullar said:

Former Bestbuy audio salesperson here ;^)

I went and bought a crap ton of cheap earbuds one day and these were my favorites 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/skullcandy-inkd-2-earbud-headphones-black/6461052.p?id=1218738048111&skuId=6461052

Sony's only decent headphones are their Extra Bass Lineup, the rest is just gonna be similar cheap drivers up sold because of the brand name.

Although, now I only flex with $300+ headphones running off an AMP/DAC for that sweet crispy clarity.

Are the skullcandy's better then these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-zx-series-on-ear-headphones-black/8618232.p?id=1219354098299&skuId=8618232

14 minutes ago, z123killer said:

~snip~

Hmm.  No, the skullcandy earbuds are not better than those sony headphones.  30 mm driver for $20 is pretty decent.  The range of frequency is also really good.

Those are going to be a lot more comfortable to wear too.  I'd always recommend a headphone over earbud whenever possible since earbuds focus on offering portability foremost.

1 minute ago, ToeJullar said:

Hmm.  No, the skullcandy earbuds are not better than those sony headphones.  30 mm driver for $20 is pretty decent.  The range of frequency is also really good.

Those are going to be a lot more comfortable to wear too.  I'd always recommend a headphone over earbud whenever possible.

Earbuds focus on offering portability foremost.

Yeah I am not really looking for portability right now I just want good sound and durability 

On 6/17/2016 at 5:00 AM, Dackzy said:

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but what would you recommend out of the 2 I linked?

10 minutes ago, z123killer said:

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but what would you recommend out of the 2 I linked?

Well I can't find anything about the JVC ones, but JVC usually have good budget headphones. The Sony ones are okay for the price, from I can find.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

16 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well I can't find anything about the JVC ones, but JVC usually have good budget headphones. The Sony ones are okay for the price, from I can find.

These are the specs of both from the manufacturer's website:

JVC Gumy Plus:

Driver Unit  11mm 
Magnet type  Neodymium 
Frequency Response  10-20,000Hz 
Nominal Impedance  16ohms 
Sensitivity  103dB/1mW 
Max. Input Capability  200mW(IEC) 
Cord Length  1.0m 
Weight (without cord)  4.1g 
Plug  iPhone compatible, Gold Plated 
Accessory  silicone ear piece : 3 pairs (small, medium, large) 

Sony MDR-ZX110:

Microphone

Design and Sound Features

WHAT'S IN THE BOX

COLOR OPTIONS

WEIGHT

CLOSED TYPE

DYNAMIC TYPE

DRIVER UNIT

DIAPHRAGM

FREQUENCY RESPONSE (HZ)

SENSITIVITIES (DB/MW)

IMPEDANCE (OHM)

CORD TYPE

CORD LENGTH

PLUG

UNIT OF MICROPHONE

DIRECTION OF IN-LINE MICROPHONE

WEARING STYLE

MDR-ZX110

MDR-ZX110
  • Operating instructions
  • Warranty card
whiteblack
  • 4.23 oz
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • 1.18 in dynamic – Dome type
  • -
  • 12–22,000Hz
  • 98 dB/mW
  • 24 ohm (1KHz)
  • Y-Shape
  • 3.94 ft
  • Gold-plated L-shaped stereo mini
  • -
  • -
  • Headband
  • Over-ear

MDR-ZX110AP

MDR-ZX110AP
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • PET
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Electret Condenser Microphone
  • Omni Direction
  •  
  •  

2 minutes ago, z123killer said:

SNIP

OH specs means nothing.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

OH specs means nothing.

Yeah I know that you need to listen to them in person but I am pretty sure the headphones in the same price range of earphones would beat the quality of the earphones but you would sacrifice portability 

1 minute ago, z123killer said:

Yeah I know that you need to listen to them in person but I am pretty sure the headphones in the same price range of earphones would beat the quality of the earphones but you would sacrifice portability 

Nope in ear usually gives about the same quality as normal headphones... If you can try the sony ones and you like them, then get them. (the same goes for the JVC, but I don't think you can try in ear xD)

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Nope in ear usually gives about the same quality as normal headphones... If you can try the sony ones and you like them, then get them. (the same goes for the JVC, but I don't think you can try in ear xD)

Neither are available to try, but I bought the JVC ones about 2 days ago and i am no audiophile or anything but they sounded normal to me. The reason I want to know if the Sony headphones are better is because i am going to give the JVC ones to my brother so I would have a choice to get the JVC or the Sony and the reason i am leaning more over to sony is because i think they would be more comfortable 

3 minutes ago, z123killer said:

Neither are available to try, but I bought the JVC ones about 2 days ago and i am no audiophile or anything but they sounded normal to me. The reason I want to know if the Sony headphones are better is because i am going to give the JVC ones to my brother so I would have a choice to get the JVC or the Sony and the reason i am leaning more over to sony is because i think they would be more comfortable 

They should be about the same in audio quality. The comfort well I don't think the pads are very good and I have no idea about the clamping force, so yeah sorry I can't help anymore...