New Build CPU Fan Fail to Spin

phantomf4

I think this is the first time where googling and performing basic troubleshooting fail to solve a problem.

I built my first computer. The spec is as follow:

Intel i5 6500

Asrock z170 Pro4

ASUS STRIX GTX970

Antec True Classics 650W PSU

G Skill DDR4 RAM 2 x 8GB

Needless to say, this is a fairly generic spec computer. Anyways, I ran into this really weird issue. After the initial assembly, I was able to POST and install Windows without any major hitches. The problem comes a few days later. My computer would randomly shutdown. At this point, it is reasonable to suspect the usual issues like driver conflicts, malware, virus, etc. So to make sure none of the above is a potential cause. I have gone ahead and reformatted the computer again. On the fresh install of WIndows, the same issue persist but this time, once the computer is shutdown, I cannot get the computer to POST at all. So doing the usual troubleshooting, I look for anything loose and reseated all the computer's components just to be sure. I try to turn it on again, this is where i found something real unusual, my CPU fan won't spin, but all my case fans, hard drives, graphics card are getting powered (Basically, anything that can spin in a computer spins... except CPU fan). Thinking it is the fan problem, i went and purchased an aftermarket heat sink but nothing, the new heat sink's fan won't spin. At this point, I am fairly convinced that it is the problem with the motherboard. Fortunately, I was able to get an exchange on the motherboard. Once I got everything assembled with the new motherboard, I try to boot up my computer.... Nothing, I still cannot get to POST AND my CPU fan still won't spin.

Since it is fairly unlikely that two motherboard will have the exact same issue, I am thinking something else is broken, it is either the CPU or PSU. I don't believe the RAM is the culprit since CPU fan will generally spin even if there are no RAM installed to the computer.

I hope if possible, someone can give me some guidance on how to troubleshoot this further.

Take out everything except the CPU, the CPU fan, the MOBO, and the PSU. How bout now?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

14 minutes ago, phantomf4 said:

I think this is the first time where googling and performing basic troubleshooting fail to solve a problem.

I built my first computer. The spec is as follow:

Intel i5 6500

Asrock z170 Pro4

ASUS STRIX GTX970

Antec True Classics 650W PSU

G Skill DDR4 RAM 2 x 8GB

Needless to say, this is a fairly generic spec computer. Anyways, I ran into this really weird issue. After the initial assembly, I was able to POST and install Windows without any major hitches. The problem comes a few days later. My computer would randomly shutdown. At this point, it is reasonable to suspect the usual issues like driver conflicts, malware, virus, etc. So to make sure none of the above is a potential cause. I have gone ahead and reformatted the computer again. On the fresh install of WIndows, the same issue persist but this time, once the computer is shutdown, I cannot get the computer to POST at all. So doing the usual troubleshooting, I look for anything loose and reseated all the computer's components just to be sure. I try to turn it on again, this is where i found something real unusual, my CPU fan won't spin, but all my case fans, hard drives, graphics card are getting powered (Basically, anything that can spin in a computer spins... except CPU fan). Thinking it is the fan problem, i went and purchased an aftermarket heat sink but nothing, the new heat sink's fan won't spin. At this point, I am fairly convinced that it is the problem with the motherboard. Fortunately, I was able to get an exchange on the motherboard. Once I got everything assembled with the new motherboard, I try to boot up my computer.... Nothing, I still cannot get to POST AND my CPU fan still won't spin.

Since it is fairly unlikely that two motherboard will have the exact same issue, I am thinking something else is broken, it is either the CPU or PSU. I don't believe the RAM is the culprit since CPU fan will generally spin even if there are no RAM installed to the computer.

I hope if possible, someone can give me some guidance on how to troubleshoot this further.

Try to get one of those 4 pin molex to fan header adapters to see if you can get the fans to spin and that will help determine if its the two fans that are dead or if you just got unlucky with 2 motherboards

20 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Try to get one of those 4 pin molex to fan header adapters to see if you can get the fans to spin and that will help determine if its the two fans that are dead or if you just got unlucky with 2 motherboards

l_07843269.jpg

Something like this?

22 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Take out everything except the CPU, the CPU fan, the MOBO, and the PSU. How bout now?

Nothing... I am not hearing any beeps ....(I shorted the PW pins to turn start the computer)

6 minutes ago, phantomf4 said:

l_07843269.jpg

Something like this?

Nothing... I am not hearing any beeps ....(I shorted the PW pins to turn start the computer)

yah those will work I wouldn't suggest running your cpu cooler off them perminantly though because with those your fans will be running at a constant top speed. Those types of adapters are handy to keep around to test possibly dead fans.

OK, so I tested my stock and my aftermarket fans, they both works. Where does the CPU fan get power from? Is it from the CPU 8 pins or the 24 pin FSB?