DAK Reccomendation

Maxxorbob
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Interference troubleshooting guide in my sigline; you may find something that helps.

So the front audio broke on my case and the rear panel audio is getting coil whine from my 970, could someone recommend a DAK for 20$ or less? (3.5mm headphone btw).

1. How does coil whine in headphones even Sound?

2. If you buy a DAC you'll also Need an amp

3. $20 is not too much really for that Money you could rather get a shitty Soundcard and be done with it

4. What are your headphones?

EDIT: Oh and some Monitors have Sound Output coming from the gpu's DP/HDMI, maybe your aswell? Should be fine realy depending on what you want.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1. When the front panel audio broke I plugged my 3.5mm line into the mobo line out. After this, without fail, every game that I play begins to emit a very noticeable static noise, If I tab out of the game the static stops, thus making me think that somehow when the gpu is under heavy usage it is interfering with the audio somehow.

2.My headphones are a pair of shitty $50 skullcandy headphones.

3. When I plug the headphones into the monitor output the audio sounds like a tinny pile of shit.

4. I really don't know the first thing about audio, and i'm kind of thinking of getting a soldering iron and trying to repair the front panel.

Interference troubleshooting guide in my sigline; you may find something that helps.

16 hours ago, SSL said:

Thanks\, this describes the problem that I have.

On 6/16/2016 at 11:19 PM, SSL said:

Update!

It is most certainly my GPU. I noticed that the static only appeared when i played games. So I concluded that it must be interference from the GPU. I loaded up several games and every time I tabbed out of them the static stopped. Then i loaded up cinebench and sure enough static occurred in the GPU test. It even stopped and started once the scene was rendered and it began to move on to the next.

I noticed that your guide recommended moving the GPU a slot over so i'm going to try that.   

19 minutes ago, Maxxorbob said:

Update!

It is most certainly my GPU. I noticed that the static only appeared when i played games. So I concluded that it must be interference from the GPU. I loaded up several games and every time I tabbed out of them the static stopped. Then i loaded up cinebench and sure enough static occurred in the GPU test. It even stopped and started once the scene was rendered and it began to move on to the next.

I noticed that your guide recommended moving the GPU a slot over so i'm going to try that.   

That's a good place to start. There are a number of things you can try related to GPU issues - I would also uninstall/disable any HDMI audio devices related to your GPU. Playing around with your power supply cable configuration may help as well.

23 minutes ago, SSL said:

s you can try related to GPU issues - I would also uninstall/disable any HDMI audio devices related to your GPU. Playing around with your power supply cable con

So I moved the GPU to the only other available bracket and the audio issues just got worse. Same as before but much, much worse.

There aren't any cables near the audio section of my motherboard. Could you specify what you mean by re configuring the psu cables. Give me a place to start?

39 minutes ago, Maxxorbob said:

So I moved the GPU to the only other available bracket and the audio issues just got worse. Same as before but much, much worse.

There aren't any cables near the audio section of my motherboard. Could you specify what you mean by re configuring the psu cables. Give me a place to start?

How is your GPU connected to the PSU at this time?

45 minutes ago, Maxxorbob said:

got worse. Same as before but much, much worse.

There aren't any cables near the audio section of my motherboard. Could you specify

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

How is your GPU connected to the PSU at this time?

It is a GTX 970 so it's connected through an 8pin connector. And the pcie connection is just in the top slot, no riser or anything like that.

1 minute ago, Maxxorbob said:

It is a GTX 970 so it's connected through an 8pin connector. And the pcie connection is just in the top slot, no riser or anything like that.

Is your PSU modular? Do you have more than one 8-pin harness?

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Is your PSU modular? Do you have more than one 8-pin harness?

It is not modular, however there is another 8 pin available.

1 minute ago, Maxxorbob said:

It is not modular, however there is another 8 pin available.

Trie et

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

Trie et

Nope, nothing changed.

I have like $130(US) lying around that i could use for some kind of solution. (Although I don't want to spend much of that on audio)

2 minutes ago, Maxxorbob said:

Nope, nothing changed.

I have like $130(US) lying around that i could use for some kind of solution. (Although I don't want to spend much of that on audio)

Short of trying some of the other things in the guide, I don't have any specific suggestions. It could be a grounding issue, or some weird interference with other peripherals. If you don't want to spend money I would suggest devoting more time to troubleshooting before bout buy an external solution.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

on't have any specific suggestions. It could be a grounding issue, or some weird interference with other peripherals. If you don't want to spend money I would suggest devoting more time to troubleshooting before bout buy an external solution.

It is a corsair cx500m, so 500w. No cheapo chinese crap here i'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Maxxorbob said:

It is a corsair cx500m, so 500w. No cheapo chinese crap here i'm afraid.

Not exactly top drawer, though. Even so, a new PSU wouldn't be a good use of money.

Yeah I'm like 99.9% sure its the GPU. The noise only happens when rendering 3d graphics. Moving the GPU only made it louder because it was right on top of the motherboard. And when I removed the GPU the problems straight up stopped. I think i'm either going to have to get an external audio solution, or try to fix the front panel audio myself. (Or make a lousy excuse to get a better case>)