HELP! Not your normal "shoul I buy this" questioms.

I need help and suggestions on a video card to use in a new build. I have an iStar 3u industrial rack case, model D-313SE-MATX. I have assembled the majorityof the parts needed to build this machine. Asus Maximums VIII gene motherboard, i5 6600k orocessor, 2x16gb corsair dominator ddr4 memory, 256 gb m.2 Samsung SSD for boot,128 gb Pextor m.2 ssd on pcie adapter,4 WD Red 1TB hard drives in raid 0 for bulk storage, Hauppauge Colossus video capture card. Processor is cooled with a Silverstone TD0-3 Lite wit 2 corsair sp120 fans in push pull and the rest of the fans are all Noctua. Power supply havent decided on yet.

Due to case constraints the only card I can seem to find that will fit well is the R9 Nano. Issue is not length, although that can be an issue with some cards, the location of the auxillary PCIe power connectors is more of the issue. With a 3u case I cannot use a card that has the power connectors on the outside facing edge of the card. Need more suggestions of what to look at in the under 600 dollar category. A normal length card is ok my  EVGA GTX 960 ssc ACX2.0 card fits but the power connector is the issue here. Any suggestions on cards with end mounted aux PCIe power connectors with at least 4 GB memory, standard length and heigth, or mini ITX comaptible will be appreciated. Do all nVidia cards have their power connectors on top?

There was some computex card that had an addon piece thing that clipped into your PCIE power ports on your GPU. I dont know if they're a universal thing, or if its specific to this card or brand, but check this out (you can see it about 3 minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8B1Ky5UR4

Is that kind of what you meant? assuming that IS universal, you should be able to pair it with pretty much any other 8+8pin. and if its not, you may have to foot the bill for that card. Other than that though, I'm not aware of any recent cards that have end connectors rather than side connectors (although i'm also fairly new to the computer game)

if i recall correctly, evga 1080 classy comes with an adaptor that put the connectors on the end. other than that and the nano, i cant think of any other card with vga cables on the end.

Spoiler

57a.jpg

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

There was some computex card that had an addon piece thing that clipped into your PCIE power ports on your GPU. I dont know if they're a universal thing, or if its specific to this card or brand, but check this out (you can see it about 3 minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8B1Ky5UR4

Is that kind of what you meant? assuming that IS universal, you should be able to pair it with pretty much anything. and if its not, you may have to foot the bill for that card. Other than that though, I'm not aware of any high caliber cards that have end connectors rather than side connectors (although i'm also fairly new to the computer game)

No. I need video cards that have their PCIe auxilliary power connectors on the end of the card. No add on anything, just the location has to be correct. THere is no clearance for the power connector, the lid all but rests on top of the card, very tight fit.

Well there are also cards that don't have any external power requirements. some models of the 950 for example do not require external power, they draw everything they need from the PCIe slot itself. If these don't meet your performance requirements, perhaps you could wait and see if they do a 1050/1060 or AMD's equivalent. they're both going for power efficiency this time around (among other things), so there may be qood quality options out there with low enough power requirements that this extra power wouldn't be needed either? no idea when such cards would be releasing though

46 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Well there are also cards that don't have any external power requirements. some models of the 950 for example do not require external power, they draw everything they need from the PCIe slot itself. If these don't meet your performance requirements, perhaps you could wait and see if they do a 1050/1060 or AMD's equivalent. they're both going for power efficiency this time around (among other things), so there may be qood quality options out there with low enough power requirements that this extra power wouldn't be needed either? no idea when such cards would be releasing though

Okay I guess I'm not communicating well here, my apologies. I want as much graphical power I can can cram in my machine for a sub 600 dollar price. Wattage draw is not a huge issue any standard physical size ATX power supply wit enough wattage will do. I need to know what video cards have their pwoer connectors on the end of the card, oppisit all their outputs, not on the side of the card. I don't want some weak pansy video card, I want a fair amount of power for the price. I would PREFER an nVidia card that has its power connector on the end but they don't seem to exist., I will use AMD, have no major issues with that other than nVidia being preferred. Need an idea of what is available. The EVGA power adapter would be great excet I don't have clearnce in my case as mentioned by another poster, As always, location, location, location. It's critical in this build.

Perhaps I'm not communicating well here either then. What I'm trying to say is I don't think such things exist. Not in North American Markets anyway. Maybe some european or chineese manufacturers make something like that, but as far as any recent cards or generations go, I'm not aware of any such things existing. I mentioned the 1080 from EVGA because that looked promising, but if that really thin adapter cant fit, then you might be SoL. The only other situations are the nano like you mentioned, and cards like the 950. I mean maybe some 1050's will come with 4GB ram, no power connectors, and then you could SLI them? but that's alot of wishful thinking.

I mean, I don't know your exact case, but perhaps you could get a PCIE riser cable? then you could change the orientation of your card within your case so that you could have your power wherever on your card, and then just move the card, rather than having the card in a fixed position and trying to move your power connectors.

1 hour ago, Chris_Hercules said:

No. I need video cards that have their PCIe auxilliary power connectors on the end of the card. No add on anything, just the location has to be correct. THere is no clearance for the power connector, the lid all but rests on top of the card, very tight fit.

Do you mean something like this?

With the power connectors at the end of the PCB?

IMG_3146-big.jpg

16 minutes ago, Chris_Hercules said:

Okay I guess I'm not communicating well here, my apologies. I want as much graphical power I can can cram in my machine for a sub 600 dollar price. Wattage draw is not a huge issue any standard physical size ATX power supply wit enough wattage will do. I need to know what video cards have their pwoer connectors on the end of the card, oppisit all their outputs, not on the side of the card. I don't want some weak pansy video card, I want a fair amount of power for the price. I would PREFER an nVidia card that has its power connector on the end but they don't seem to exist., I will use AMD, have no major issues with that other than nVidia being preferred. Need an idea of what is available. The EVGA power adapter would be great excet I don't have clearnce in my case as mentioned by another poster, As always, location, location, location. It's critical in this build.

Does this help?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-gtx-1070-graphics-accessories,31934.html

we've already mentioned this addon card thing, but he says it just wont fit.

Although thank you for showing it, now I know its not a 1080 exclusive thing =)

Its also worth noting that not all cards are the same size. If you look very closely at all the cards out there, its possible you might be able to find one that is a bit less tall than the competition, and maybe that could make all the difference?

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Its also worth noting that not all cards are the same size. If you look very closely at all the cards out there, its possible you might be able to find one that is a bit less tall than the competition, and maybe that could make all the difference?

Or follow Linus's advice and getto mod the case so the card can fit. xD

Most R9 Nanos have the power connector on the rear.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Thank you everyone... I think my only reasoable answer is going to be an R9 Nano. I had no idea I was really looking for such a specialized card. I know some of the workstation cards will work but I have no use for the way overinflated price of one of those. Thank you all. Thanks for input on this and thank you to everyone who helped in trying to find a solution. I guess I'm going to order my first AMD card since... well I've never owned and AMD, Last thing I bought that was not nVidia was a 128GB ATI All iIn Wonder. Does that give anyone any ideas how long Ive been tinkering with and building computers? My very first machine was a 486 DX-100. I remember the days of setting jumpers on motherboards and add in cards LMAO.

1 hour ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Or follow Linus's advice and getto mod the case so the card can fit. xD

Never. I don't just stuff to break sitting around BUT....... The thought had crossed my mind. And I thought you meant modding the card when I first read it. If I were going to do that I would have just bought a coventional case or a 4u rackmount case instead.

2 hours ago, Dr_Nooberious said:

Do you mean something like this?

With the power connectors at the end of the PCB?

IMG_3146-big.jpg

Yes, this is EXACTLY what I mean. Thanks!

I guess this might have been a helpful picture sooner but this is a picture of a Quagro FX4600 installed in the case. a Stainless straight rule running from case side to case side to show the sort of cearance Im talking about. It is very tight. Maybe this will clarify it better.

20160616_144807.jpg