Asus r9 390 Strix Overheating

Luki

Hi excuse me first for my poor english,

I come all way from europe, I've been big fan of Linus Tech Tips. I came to forums cause I need help with my ASUS r9 390 Direct 3 CU card: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3401/asus-strix-r9-390-directcu-iii-oc
The card itself is overheating, i tried various solutions to this, and worst thing the store where I bought the card doesn't wanna RMA it, cause 90 C is still not for RMA, + I did a damage, where I touched one of wings and it broke (glued it back), works like before.(but lost guarantee I think..)
Same temps, if I dont use afterburner with custom fan curve the card will overheat and cause PC shutdown. But fans are spinning around 80% and are very loud + temps are around 75 AVG. And summer here is 30C+.

I got Cool Laboratory Ultra thermal paste and MX4, but I don't think that would do much difference, I also searched for alternative coolers but without luck. I found some watercooling, but I am not in mood to spend much money if problem is simple to solve, maybe you guys had simliar issues here before

Any help is appriciated at this point. I hope some expert here will help me with my problem, cause overheating is killing me :(

My Rig is:
Collermaster Silencio 652s
i7 4770k
Noctua NH-D14
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
2x8GB of Mushkin redline @ 2133 Mhz
CS750M power supply
intel 535 240 GB SSD + 1TB of HDD storage WD Blue
And 3 additional 120mm fans in case on top, and 1 at bottom.
+ the card I mentioned.

Peace,
Luka

12 minutes ago, Luki said:

Hi excuse me first for my poor english,

I come all way from europe, I've been big fan of Linus Tech Tips. I came to forums cause I need help with my ASUS r9 390 Direct 3 CU card: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3401/asus-strix-r9-390-directcu-iii-oc
The card itself is overheating, i tried various solutions to this, and worst thing the store where I bought the card doesn't wanna RMA it, cause 90 C is still not for RMA, + I did a damage, where I touched one of wings and it broke (glued it back), works like before.(but lost guarantee I think..)
Same temps, if I dont use afterburner with custom fan curve the card will overheat and cause PC shutdown. But fans are spinning around 80% and are very loud + temps are around 75 AVG. And summer here is 30C+.

I got Cool Laboratory Ultra thermal paste and MX4, but I don't think that would do much difference, I also searched for alternative coolers but without luck. I found some watercooling, but I am not in mood to spend much money if problem is simple to solve, maybe you guys had simliar issues here before

Any help is appriciated at this point. I hope some expert here will help me with my problem, cause overheating is killing me :(

My Rig is:
Collermaster Silencio 652s
i7 4770k
Noctua NH-D14
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
2x8GB of Mushkin redline @ 2133 Mhz
CS750M power supply
intel 535 240 GB SSD + 1TB of HDD storage WD Blue
And 3 additional 120mm fans in case on top, and 1 at bottom.
+ the card I mentioned.

Peace,
Luka

What direction are the fans blowing air?

Those temps are normal for a r9 390, especially if ambient temp is 30+.

Best option if the heat is too much for you is to use MSI Afterburner and Underclock/Undervolt your card and deal with the lower frame rates

If it shuts itself down with stock clocks and voltage with the factory fan curve it needs to be rma'd. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

13 minutes ago, Torn said:

Those temps are normal for a r9 390, especially if ambient temp is 30+.

Best option if the heat is too much for you is to use MSI Afterburner and Underclock/Undervolt your card and deal with the lower frame rates

90 degrees is not a normal temperature for an R9 390. I have the MSI one and it stays well below 80 at all times. Another thing worth mentioning is that ASUS cooling solutions on the R9 series of AMD video cards aren't really that good, so it might in fact be a normal temperature for this specific model. From what I know they basically took the cooler from their 970 and slapped it on a 390 with no modifications.

Intel Core i7-4790k •• ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) •• 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2400MHz CL11 •• MSI Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8G

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB •• Crucial M550 512GB •• Corsair AX750 •• Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

it's just the terrible asus cooling, try getting a custom one on it

49 minutes ago, yackson said:

90 degrees is not a normal temperature for an R9 390. I have the MSI one and it stays well below 80 at all times. Another thing worth mentioning is that ASUS cooling solutions on the R9 series of AMD video cards aren't really that good, so it might in fact be a normal temperature for this specific model. From what I know they basically took the cooler from their 970 and slapped it on a 390 with no modifications.

Yours runs at 80... what's your ambient temperature?  20 I have to assume...

I have good fans, I tried to open case even. The card would shutdown.

Its playable at the moment, but this card has alot of overclock potential. I have read on internet that whole series doesn't cool some chip on graphics properly.
And its not 30+ atm, its around 24 ambient room atm. I got 2 front +1 down next to PSU blowing inside the case. The top 2 are blowing outside the case, and the one on back is blowing outside the case.
Literally graphics card is very loud, and fan speed goes to 3200 RPM to cool down the card and max is 3700 RPM. + card itself has a backplate which becomes very hot.

I can't RMA it, they said thats normal temperature even if card is loud. I am looking for solution to cool it down more if its possible, or alternative cooling for the card.
Still remember I got Cool Laboratory Ultra thermal paste and MX4 here. Is it safe to use laboratory ultra to cool it?

Or is there some alternative that I don't know, cause as soon as I start some game, it my pc goes "vacuum mode" fans are very loud, and trying to keep the temps stable around 75 which is not bad, but the noise I am getting is very loud for me :(.

Also for RMA, does it matter I glued one of wings from cooler? Will it go still as card has guarantee or I have lost that?

I have now sent e-mail to technical support of ASUS, hopefully they will response to my issue. And I asked is there alternative cooler for it also.

So crossfingers.

My XFX card is OC'd to it's limit, but my temperatures are not far from what you are reporting. 

390's run hot. They run even hotter when you have the asus or gigabyte versions. 

I didn't get any reply from asus, I disassembled the heatsink. And first thing I noticed there is nothing cooling VRM1 and VRM2 is being cooled but poorly.
Also the chips that go around main chip, nothing on them. You can literally see nothing on them. I didn't remove backplate, but I put some mx4 on main chip and it reduced temps abit. Here is picture:
Now I ordered small aluminum pieces from ebay aluminum and copper and double-sideded thermal pad.
And on the right, hopefully it will fix the problem (this is not my picture, but will look something like this), only thing is I have to wait 20 days for it to arrive from ebay. And attach all the aluminum pieces.
Also does anyone know does accelero IV extreme would fit this card, its very cheap atm in my country and I found one with discount.

strix_fail.jpg

accelero.jpg

On 6/15/2016 at 3:37 AM, Torn said:

Yours runs at 80... what's your ambient temperature?  20 I have to assume...

I said it runs below 80, and it does it at 40% fan speed. My ambient is usually around 27 degrees. It's the cooler design. MSI has one of the best coolers for the R9 390, while ASUS has one of the worst. It's a well known fact.

Intel Core i7-4790k •• ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) •• 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2400MHz CL11 •• MSI Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8G

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB •• Crucial M550 512GB •• Corsair AX750 •• Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

37 minutes ago, yackson said:

I said it runs below 80, and it does it at 40% fan speed. My ambient is usually around 27 degrees. It's the cooler design. MSI has one of the best coolers for the R9 390, while ASUS has one of the worst. It's a well known fact.

I agree, I actually ordered the alphacooling r9 390 m03 water cooling for this card, instead going for mod I posted. Cause I just don't wanna mess with card to much.
I already got a pump, so I need a radiator and I am done trying to fix it.
My temps are now around 75 with 80-100% fan speed, I am playing some overwatch. Hopefully everything will arive soon and I will put watercooling on, and I hope to god that will solve my problems :(

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just wanted to bump this thread, I've upgraded the card with water cooling block from Alphacooling, the temps vent down, and its low noise.
Still VRM1 seems impossible too cool it down. This is downclocked card, i know its summer, but my loop is 1-120 mm rad + 1-2x140mm rad, and a good pump.
I've connected everything in correct order.

and radiators are both full copper, and trust me, this pump would cool down everything if the whole block of card isn't overheating the whole pc case.

And this is the block I purchased: http://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-cooler/ati-fullsize/20327/alphacool-nexxxos-gpx-ati-r9-390-m03-mit-backplate-schwarz

and here are my results, its painfull to watch and when I touch the block of graphics card, its so hot, it seems impossible to do anything. I've searched solutions over internet,

but I can't find any result cause everyone RMA card, and they didn't wanna RMA it for me. Cause temps were acceptable, 90C and fans where spinning at 100% I am happy I cooled down the card, but I want to solve VRM problem.

Is there any custom BIOS which will solve this problem, I have also sent message to asus but no answer from them, will try again ?

Look at the VRM1 temp and this is "silent mode".

Here is picture of temps, with "silent" mode from their GPU Tweak Tool:
VRM TEMP.jpg

Your VRM temps are fine considering how high your GPU core temps are. The VRMs are rated for 125c. My 390x using a single 140mm rad gets to 52c core max overclocked to 1200/1730 with +100mv. In a lot of the reviews I read the Asus Strix 390(x) had VRM1 going to 90c+. Your diagram is wrong actually. VRM 1 is the VRM right next to the long row of capacitors. VRM 2 is the smaller one. I'd recommend increasing the fan speed on your rads to dump out all the heat. Your core temps are way too high. VRM is fine. My VRM gets to 105c under full load since its not under water. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

39 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Your VRM temps are fine considering how high your GPU core temps are. The VRMs are rated for 125c. My 390x using a single 140mm rad gets to 52c core max overclocked to 1200/1730 with +100mv. In a lot of the reviews I read the Asus Strix 390(x) had VRM1 going to 90c+. Your diagram is wrong actually. VRM 1 is the VRM right next to the long row of capacitors. VRM 2 is the smaller one. I'd recommend increasing the fan speed on your rads to dump out all the heat. Your core temps are way too high. VRM is fine. My VRM gets to 105c under full load since its not under water. 

Are you saying that VRM 1 is not on left side of GPU core, and VRM 2 is not on right side? Its opposite? Should I put small fan blowing into water block?
Also would love to see your OC settings.
Also are you using crimson drivers?

Just now, Luki said:

Are you saying that VRM 1 is not on left side of GPU core, and VRM 2 is not on right side? Its opposite? Should I put small fan blowing into water block?
Also would love to see your OC settings.
Also are you using crimson drivers?

I'm using 16.3.2 crimson drivers. 16.7.2 is the latest wqhl(non beta) release but has a lot of issues and 16.3.2 works perfect so I'd recommend that. VRM 1 is the "VRM 2" in the diagram you posted. If the water block covers all the components securely and the temps are still high, the air isn't being pushed out of your radiators fast enough. The temps shouldn't be that high under a full cover block. What's your ambient temperature? 

This is what a little bit about my 390x. Only thing changed since then is I boosted the core clock up to 1200mhz. 1200/1730 is a really decent overclock. Performance is excellent. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe