Weak internet connection to PC but not to other devices?

Zack Brown

Hey

I built a new PC but the mobo has no built in wifi so I bought a TP-Link WiFi PCIe adapter with antennas but its way more slower than my phone and and my laptop thats right next to my new PC.

On my laptop, right next to my PC gets 5 bars. my PC only gets 2 bars!

webpages load almost instantly on my laptop but it takes ages to load on the pc.

anyone know how i can fix this?

CPU: Intel i7-6700k - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW - Motherboard: Asus Z170-A - RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro GTX H110i - PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W P2 - Case: NZXT H440 White/Black - OS: Windows 10 Home - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red RGB

3 minutes ago, Zack Brown said:

Hey

I built a new PC but the mobo has no built in wifi so I bought a TP-Link WiFi PCIe adapter with antennas but its way more slower than my phone and and my laptop thats right next to my new PC.

webpages load almost instantly on my laptop but it takes ages to load on the pc.

What specific wifi adapter do you have AAANNNDDD what router do you have?

Em... Kinda straight forward, but... replace it with something else?

Also, install some wifi signal testing app on your phone and check if your wifi signal is strong enough where pc stands. This might be a thing.

You probably bought a cheap NIC. I'd recommend buying a better one, maybe looking into USB dongles as they tend to have slightly more performance per dollar.

However If you want to invest in a more reliable solution take a look at power-line adapters.

Lastly if you have an old wifi router laying around you could probably use that as well. 

@TheCMan @paprikman @justjort I bought this adapter. 

I think I fixed it know I had to install the drivers lol

CPU: Intel i7-6700k - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW - Motherboard: Asus Z170-A - RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro GTX H110i - PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W P2 - Case: NZXT H440 White/Black - OS: Windows 10 Home - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red RGB

16 minutes ago, Zack Brown said:

Hey

Unlucky b0ss. I recommend scanning for malware and viruses (I've had the same problem not too long ago). Use Malwarebytes and your antivirus software of choice.

You can try resetting the router (usually by turning it off and leaving it for about a minute or so)

4 minutes ago, VAkena said:

Unlucky b0ss. I recommend scanning for malware and viruses (I've had the same problem not too long ago). Use Malwarebytes and your antivirus software of choice.

You can try resetting the router (usually by turning it off and leaving it for about a minute or so)

I fixed it already I had to install the drivers.