Lens cleaning issues

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,
1 minute ago, thekillergazebo said:

At the time I didn't have one on the lens. But now I just need to debate if I should exchange it with Amazon. They seem willing to exchange it no trouble.

If they are willing to exchange it for free and you feel uncomfortable with your lens, go ahead and change it.  If it gives you the peace of mind you need.

So I went to the beach and was taking some photos and just got some ocean mist on the lens. When I came home to clean it I used a combination of an air blower, brush, lens pen, cleaning solution, and microfiber cloth. For some reason there seems to be several specs of dust or something that will not go away. The specs also don't move around at all which makes me think it's under the first lens. Is there away to know if this is scratches or just dust under the lens? I ordered it from the Amazon and they are will to change it, but I don't want to go through all that if this is just user error. Also this lens isn't weathered sealed, but only has been slightly misted with sea spray.

What type of camera are you using? DSLR? SLT?

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Can you post a photo of what you see on the lens?  I check my lenses by shining a flashlight through the back of the lens.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If its ocean mist its going to be tough stuff. 
Had it myself and it actually took soaking the front element in a dish of water (shallow, just submerging the front glass a few millimeters) to lift it off then using a really fine microfibre cloth. Either way its going to take some time, sea water is not just water, or salt water. There are all sorts of chemicals, fish excrement, and buckets of organic matter in it.

PS, working on the assumption of SLR lenses, and lenses where there is little to no space  between the end of the lens barrel and the front element. If there was a gap of a centimeter or so, I wouldn't try the current trick for fear of water getting in. 

As to testing if its on the front of the lens is quite simple (and you have the microfibre cloth for it). The friction test. take a tiny part of the cloth, move it over. If it grips in the slightest its on the front. If not the front is squeaky clean and you have to look further in. 

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

I can't get a photo of what I'm talking about without adding a filter on the lens but what you see is still just on the lens

Ive tried running a lens pen over it several times and it won't come off. Also used some ROR solution on it with a microfiber cloth and still wouldn't take it off. So idk. Why are lenses such a pain in the ass. I took some photos outdoors today. All with the sun to my back and didn't see anything wrong with the lens in my photos but maybe it might show up in my shots when I'm facing the sun I'm thinking. 

image.jpeg

Did you have a UV filter on the front? They are a must for protection of your glass. I'll gladly throw away a 150 dollar filter any day of the week to save my glass.

On a different note, my work lenses (no personal gear) get beat to hell at sea, and we don't see any of the imperfections in the raw date. Unless you're shooting a 50+mp sensor, you're unlikely to see them in the frame.

Here is my advice:

• I've taken photos with lenses which had the front element in worse conditions, smudged, scratched, etc. without issue.  I'd be more worried about the back element.  I wouldn't worry about the front element, and if you are concerned you can always take some tests images and see if they affect the quality (e.g. such as scratches showing up in the images).
  • Take it to a store that sells photographic equipment, I don't mean a general electronics store, and see what someone who works there might have to say.

When taking photos by the ocean, with salty sea water, my recommendation is to use a filter for protection.  Sea water contains elements dissolved in the water that can damage equipment, and those elements can be carried in the wind and mist.  So a filter that you can remove and rinse out thoroughly later on to clean it.

Looking at the photo you posted of your lens, if you go to any camera store or store that sells lenses and take a bright flashlight to shine it onto and through any brand new lens you will see a lot of dust.  This is normal.  Lenses are not assembled in a medical grade clean room or the kind of clean rooms used to manufacture silicon chips.  Look at this video below and see how lenses are assembled by hand.  Those workers are not wearing full body suits that trap any falling dead skill cells or loose hair.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

25 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Did you have a UV filter on the front? They are a must for protection of your glass. I'll gladly throw away a 150 dollar filter any day of the week to save my glass.

On a different note, my work lenses (no personal gear) get beat to hell at sea, and we don't see any of the imperfections in the raw date. Unless you're shooting a 50+mp sensor, you're unlikely to see them in the frame.

At the time I didn't have one on the lens. But now I just need to debate if I should exchange it with Amazon. They seem willing to exchange it no trouble.

If they are willing to exchange it for free and you feel uncomfortable with your lens, go ahead and change it.  If it gives you the peace of mind you need.

I haven't been in the situation much where I've needed to clean my lenses, but for those of you that have do you find it causes any problems? Like how easy is it to scratch these lenses?

Dust on the first element isn't visible anyways.

9 hours ago, thekillergazebo said:

I haven't been in the situation much where I've needed to clean my lenses, but for those of you that have do you find it causes any problems? Like how easy is it to scratch these lenses?

If you use a proper cleaning cloth, solution and appropriate tools, they shouldn't get scratched easily.  But you don't need to clean them every day, every hour. Sometimes an air blower is more than enough.  Just take proper care.  (This is one of the reasons I use a filter, so I can clean the front element of the lens less frequently.)

Yeah I watched a video where a lot of people where saying filters are a waste of money and now I'm thinking otherwise. The filter for this lens is only 40, whereas the lens is 600. Kind of an easy choice now.

Yeah I watched a video where a lot of people where saying filters are a waste of money and now I'm thinking otherwise. The filter for this lens is only 40, whereas the lens is 600. Kind of an easy choice now.

And they are, as long as you don't take close up pictures of a motocross race

8 minutes ago, thekillergazebo said:

If you buy a cheap filter, it is a waste of money.  You do NOT need to use a filter all the time, but there are some situations where you may want to have one handy.  There is absolutely no right or wrong answer to whether to use a filter for protection.  It's up to YOU.  Remember, when you feel that the situation is safe enough not having a filter in the front, you can always remove it.

Addendum:

And obviously, it may be a WASTE of money for people who have cheap gear.  Buying a $100-200 filter to protect a $300 piece of glass with a cheap entry level body might not be worth it.  But for people who care about their gear, they decide what risks they are willing to take.