Cooling for VRM

Go to solution Solved by YubinTheBunny,
38 minutes ago, Keuper said:

Thanks! IF possible, could you show a picture of it? IF not thats fine and I should be able to go off of that. Thanks, this is very helpful.

This is not her rig, but the setup is practically the same as her setup http://forums.evga.com/AIO-Water-Cool-All-the-Things-m2270740.aspx

So I bought the Asus 970 Strix because it was on sale. But after I bought it, and overclocked it, I wanted it to run cool. So I thought about putting the Kraken G10 on it. BUT the issue with it is that the Strix 970 is not compatible, only because the VRM is on the opposite side of the fan on the G10. I was curious, I have the NZXT Phantom 410, so if I were to put a fan on the side panel as intake, so that it would be blowing on to the GPU, would that be enough cooling for the VRM? Or would I have to modify the G10 so it would cool the VRM? 

I googled up some pictures of the Asus 970 Strix to see what the layout is like. Its seems to already have a black heatsink attached to the VRMs already and they don't have anything actively cooling the back as there is only a backplate there. So I think the fan its comes with should be enough to cool the VRMs. But personally I would lay a 120mm fan on the back of the GPU just to cool the back the of the VRMs to be on the safe side.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=127

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

The fan on the G10 should still cool the vrms. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, YubinTheBunny said:

I googled up some pictures of the Asus 970 Strix...

That picture really says it all.  In normal operation that heatsink has to be getting air movement from the fan above driving air through the cooling fins.  Since you are overclocking it would seem even more important to somehow maintain airflow over that sink.  If not a fan directly above then maybe find a larger copper heatsink - one with taller fins.

I asked a friend that actually did this to her 970 Strix and she told me that the VRMs are butt to keep cool. So what she did was stack copper heatsinks on top of the stock one on the VRMs and then zip tied a fan to side with the VRMs to keep them cool (if you have a place in your case to mount the fan that would be preferable). She also said to upgrade the stock fan to a Noctua NF-B9 as the stock one after running for a while would start buzzing.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

6 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

I asked a friend that actually did this to her 970 Strix and she told me that the VRMs are butt to keep cool. So what she did was stack copper heatsinks on top of the stock one on the VRMs and then zip tied a fan to side with the VRMs to keep them cool (if you have a place in your case to mount the fan that would be preferable). She also said to upgrade the stock fan to a Noctua NF-B9 as the stock one after running for a while would start buzzing.

Thanks! IF possible, could you show a picture of it? IF not thats fine and I should be able to go off of that. Thanks, this is very helpful.

38 minutes ago, Keuper said:

This is not her rig, but the setup is practically the same as her setup http://forums.evga.com/AIO-Water-Cool-All-the-Things-m2270740.aspx

Build