$200 Solid State Amp

Octavialicious

Well, some guy sold me a defective Lyr but that's not too bad as I was hoping to move to solid state anyways (like the pairing with my new headphones)

I am open to used or new, and the only requirement is I don't want the amp too be relaxed/slow/mellow

Thanks! Obviously the budget is $200 but I can go a tad higher, and the cans are McIntosh MHP1000 which are pretty much beyer

@Dackzy @SSL I think you mentioned Project Polaris SSL, but it seems fragile and I knock off amps time to time :ph34r:

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Asgard 2 is in your budget used, it's really warm sounding compared to a Magni, O2 and Sap VI.

Only downside is it gets fucking HOT. 45-55c hot

Makes stuff alot less harsh.

nice cans btw.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

3 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

Asgard 2 is in your budget used, it's really warm sounding compared to a Magni, O2 and Sap VI.

Only downside is it gets fucking HOT. 45-55c hot

nice cans btw.

Thanks! I was thinking of Asgard but I've heard that too (although O2 was really lacking to me, imo)

and yeah, schiit stuff can get pretty hot. The lyr 1 burned my hand almost haha!

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

8 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Well, some guy sold me a defective Lyr but that's not too bad as I was hoping to move to solid state anyways (like the pairing with my new headphones)

I am open to used or new, and the only requirement is I don't want the amp too be relaxed/slow/mellow

Thanks! Obviously the budget is $200 but I can go a tad higher, and the cans are McIntosh MHP1000 which are pretty much beyer

@Dackzy @SSL I think you mentioned Project Polaris SSL, but it seems fragile and I knock off amps time to time :ph34r:

For a second I was afraid it was some fanboy that mentioned me and that he was ready to kill me, because I tell the truth about things. Yeah the project Polaris is pretty nice and yes from my understanding it is a little fragile, you can build it less fragile if you want to. The thing is with used things is that things go for very different prices used around the world, so it can be a little hard to recommend a specific thing, look at used schiit amps. I will comeback later with some more suggestions.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

$200? Honestly, I'd go for Magni 2U. If you're any more particular about the sound than that, you're better of trying things yourself until you find what you want.

Yeah the Magni 2U seems like the best amp for the budget.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Wait, didn't you have the HEX? Why LCD3F now? And why/which one do you prefer? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

37 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Wait, didn't you have the HEX? Why LCD3F now? And why/which one do you prefer? 

I went HE-X > LCD 3F > and now im getting McIntosh MHP1000 in the mail.

They go in the order I got them in (HE-X being 3rd and MHP being 1st), but they're all superb cans. The HE-X had bad build quality and it just sounded bad at times. I can't explain it at all, but it would sound divine and all of a sudden it would sound pretty bleh. You just kinda had to be in the mood for them

LCD 3 were stellar as well, but the lack of clarity annoyed me to be honest. I like very good separation and such, but I felt it could be a jumbled mess sometimes

Now, the MHP1000. With all of the headphones in the world today the MHP1000 are my end game, and I can't wait for them to arrive! Sure new product may arrive in the future, but with the current market and I can't find any better.  They're an odd choice, but they're my favorite after owning/listening to practically every TOTL can minus the (HD800, HE1000, Ether C/Ether Open, LCD 4, Stax SR009, Tesla T1/T1 2nd gen, all of the other LCD's, TH900, name anything I've probably heard it) Essentially, all I want in headphones are superb clarity and separation with deep, punchy bass. The MHP1000 were very precise, had great seperation, and were detailed as well. This is comparable to the HD800, nothing unheard of yet. But what sold me was all of these features, PLUS very very good bass. Best I've heard ever I'd say, very strong (not TH900 level, but I'd say that's a good thing) but still very prominent and definitely a pleasing experience for bass lovers. For this, it wins the spot on my head :) Also should mention it has all the clarity etc. WITHOUT being too airy. HEK and HD800 were too airy/open for me, whilst the MHP1000 is very engaging but still feels like an open can to me!!

edit: Also makes sense the McIntosh can was produced by Beyerdynamic, as I've always been a fan of their sound and the T1 had a place in my heart for a longgg time (and still does!)

13 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

They go in the order I got them in (HE-X being 3rd and MHP being 1st), but they're all superb cans. The HE-X had bad build quality and it just sounded bad at times. I can't explain it at all, but it would sound divine and all of a sudden it would sound pretty bleh. You just kinda had to be in the mood for them

LCD 3 were stellar as well, but the lack of clarity annoyed me to be honest. I like very good separation and such, but I felt it could be a jumbled mess sometimes

Now, the MHP1000. With all of the headphones in the world today the MHP1000 are my end game, and I can't wait for them to arrive! Sure new product may arrive in the future, but with the current market and I can't find any better.  They're an odd choice, but they're my favorite after owning/listening to practically every TOTL can minus the (HD800, HE1000, Ether C/Ether Open, LCD 4, Stax SR009, Tesla T1/T1 2nd gen, all of the other LCD's, TH900, name anything I've probably heard it) Essentially, all I want in headphones are superb clarity and separation with deep, punchy bass. The MHP1000 were very precise, had great seperation, and were detailed as well. This is comparable to the HD800, nothing unheard of yet. But what sold me was all of these features, PLUS very very good bass. Best I've heard ever I'd say, very strong (not TH900 level, but I'd say that's a good thing) but still very prominent and definitely a pleasing experience for bass lovers. For this, it wins the spot on my head :) Also should mention it has all the clarity etc. WITHOUT being too airy. HEK and HD800 were too airy/open for me, whilst the MHP1000 is very engaging but still feels like an open can to me!!

edit: Also makes sense the McIntosh can was produced by Beyerdynamic, as I've always been a fan of their sound and the T1 had a place in my heart for a longgg time (and still does!)

God damn you have a bigger problem than me with headphones :D 

Dude how much money do you have to spend on headphones? the McIntosh MHP1000 are abour $3k in my country :D 

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

God damn you have a bigger problem than me with headphones :D 

Dude how much money do you have to spend on headphones? the McIntosh MHP1000 are abour $3k in my country :D 

You'd be surprised, it isn't as much as it seems! Most of the headphone switches cost me nothing as I sell or trade the headphones towards the new ones. The McIntosh did cost me a bit though, as they were more expensive then I was hoping (they're hard to find so I accepted his offer, and at least I got warranty)

3 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

You'd be surprised, it isn't as much as it seems! Most of the headphone switches cost me nothing as I sell or trade the headphones towards the new ones. The McIntosh did cost me a bit though, as they were more expensive then I was hoping (they're hard to find so I accepted his offer, and at least I got warranty)

Oh I kinda do the same thing, I try to buy things as cheap as possible, so I can sell them at some point and make a profit. :D 

1 hour ago, Octavialicious said:

Cool thanks for your extensive answer!

I never though MCIntosh was a good HP Brand. And now you say it, that Thing really Looks like a Beyerdynamic :D

They are 2.3k€ here, so still quite pricey.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Cool thanks for your extensive answer!

I never though MCIntosh was a good HP Brand. And now you say it, that Thing really Looks like a Beyerdynamic :D

They are 2.3k€ here, so still quite pricey.

Of course! And yeah, they don't ever really do HP stuff. They just told Beyer to do the right things I guess! :P 

16 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Of course! And yeah, they don't ever really do HP stuff. They just told Beyer to do the right things I guess! :P 

I was at a garage sale once, and saw this vintage medical equipment from McIntosh, pretty sure the same One, as the logo looked the same

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

24 minutes ago, spwath said:

I was at a garage sale once, and saw this vintage medical equipment from McIntosh, pretty sure the same One, as the logo looked the same

yup! They've been in the receiver/stereo equipment game for quite a while :P they have tons of vintage stuff

I would love to see a teardown of the MHP1000. Have to wonder if Beyer decided to put damping around their oh so wonderful Tesla driver for once.

11 minutes ago, SSL said:

I would love to see a teardown of the MHP1000. Have to wonder if Beyer decided to put damping around their oh so wonderful Tesla driver for once.

hopefully for $2k

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."