2 Networks 1 for Internet the other for accessing Printer and stuff

Go to solution Solved by Malaber,

Well first of all thank you for explaining so well ! But if I block myself in the router, my computer still thinks it has connection and i just get a page from the router shown which says you are not allowed to access the internet right now ... 

and when I try to use NetLimiter (which I have done at some point to regulate my bandwith) it just says that the trial period is over.. but you said there is a free version ? where can i get it from ? That would solve my problem in the easies way I guess... 

But today I talked to a friend of mine and what he said seems to work.. I just changed the Gateway of the old connection to something stupid.. Now I access the Internet over the new line and can still use the printer so everything is fine ! 

But still thanks for trying to help me man :))

Hello,

I have kind of a problem with my whole network setup.. I still live at my parents home and since our internet around here is so slow, I can't play on my PC when someone is streaming a video or some sort of heavy internet usage is going on in the house.. My solution for this problem was to order a second internet line to my house which now works and can be used.. So I have 2 Network cards in my computer and have it connected to both networks..

Now what I want to know is, how can I tell my computer to use one connection for everything in the internet and one connection to acces our NAS and the printer and so on but not the internet, so I don't block the internet for my family... 
Another idea would be to only tell specific applications to use the second internet and everything else goes through the "old" internet of the whole house.. I hope you get my point and can somehow help me.. Would be very nice of you ! 

Thanks; Malaber

PS: Sorry for bad grammar, I am german ;)

Be connected to both networks (make sure they are on different subnets e.g. 1 is on 192.168.0.x/24 and 2 is on 192.168.1.x/24).

You will be able to connect to either of them and when you connect to the internet it will use the network with the most bandwidth (i think)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Are you experiencing a problem with this? I mean, Windows should automatically detect the better connection and use it. So it'd only use the old connection for Internet if the new is malfunctioning somehow. And obviously it's never going to use the new one for NAS or the printer since the IPs for them are in the other subnet.

Well yes, but I want to choose myself, Is there maybe a way to configure one Network card so it cant access the internet but everything else on the network ? that would solve my problem, since then there would be only one working internet connection and then i could still use the NAS and the printer on the other network

5 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Are you experiencing a problem with this? I mean, Windows should automatically detect the better connection and use it. So it'd only use the old connection for Internet if the new is malfunctioning somehow. And obviously it's never going to use the new one for NAS or the printer since the IPs for them are in the other subnet.

You dont get my point i think.. While I am playing i want to use the second internet because the first one wil have a bad ping when my brother starts streaming youtube or sth.. And I always want to use the second line for everything on the internet since my PC is the only PC connected to it, so it will always have the full bandwith available.. I just want to disable internet on connection 1 but not unplug it since the printer and so on are connected to it and they have to stay connected to it so everyone else also can use it..

10 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

I mean, Windows should automatically detect the better connection and use it.

Btw; Both connections are the same speed (6000kbit/s down; 500kbit/s up) and the same Internet provider ( T-Online ) 

5 minutes ago, Malaber said:

You dont get my point i think.. While I am playing i want to use the second internet because the first one wil have a bad ping when my brother starts streaming youtube or sth.. And I always want to use the second line for everything on the internet since my PC is the only PC connected to it, so it will always have the full bandwith available.. I just want to disable internet on connection 1 but not unplug it since the printer and so on are connected to it and they have to stay connected to it so everyone else also can use it..

No, I got it. I really did mean to suggest that you leave everything as is. Both connections enabled and used automatically. Windows will detect that you get better ping over the new connection and only use it for Internet. Windows will also notice that the NAS or the printer are not present in the new connection and only use the old one to connect to them. All this happens automatically by default. Are you experiencing problems with this? For example, does the old connection lag for others if you play? Can you see in the task manager that your computer isn't using the new connection for Internet? (Have the Performance tab open and run speedtest.net. You'll see a distinct bump in the connection it uses.)

If it works, don't fix it. :) 

10 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

If it works, don't fix it. :)

Well the problem is, It doesn't do that, I have taskmanager open and I see that everything gets stil routed over connection 1 even when I am downloading something with another PC on connection 1.. It just uses connection 1 for everything and ignores connection 2... connection 2 only gets to do something if i unplug connection 1 and then it perfectly works, so there is nothing wrong with it ;)

For example I get aroudn 1200 kbit/s of my connection on the speedtest while downloading sth on the other PC and connection 2 is sitting there and doing nothing, so as much as I would lov to just leave it as is, it doesn't work...

Isn't there a simple way to confuse the first network adapter so it wont connect to the internet ? Like give it a wrong adress for connection to the internet but the right one for the printer ? I am definitely not an expert but I can imagine that there would be a rather easy solution :D Atleast I hope so ;D

16 minutes ago, Malaber said:

Well the problem is, It doesn't do that, I have taskmanager open and I see that everything gets stil routed over connection 1 even when I am downloading something with another PC on connection 1.. It just uses connection 1 for everything and ignores connection 2... connection 2 only gets to do something if i unplug connection 1 and then it perfectly works, so there is nothing wrong with it ;)

For example I get aroudn 1200 kbit/s of my connection on the speedtest while downloading sth on the other PC and connection 2 is sitting there and doing nothing, so as much as I would lov to just leave it as is, it doesn't work...

Isn't there a simple way to confuse the first network adapter so it wont connect to the internet ? Like give it a wrong adress for connection to the internet but the right one for the printer ? I am definitely not an expert but I can imagine that there would be a rather easy solution :D Atleast I hope so ;D

Sorry, man! I can't quit the game I'm in just yet and I got to be quick about this. There's lots you can do. Turn on QoS for everyone else, but you, use a program like NetLimiter (it's free). Maybe you can set a static IP for your computer in the old connection and block it in the router's firewall. Albeit, a lot of routers don't have separate network rules for LAN and WAN, but if yours does, I'd definitely try this. If yousing IP isn't possible, maybe you can use the MAC address.

30 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Sorry, man! I can't quit the game I'm in just yet and I got to be quick about this. There's lots you can do. Turn on QoS for everyone else, but you, use a program like NetLimiter (it's free). Maybe you can set a static IP for your computer in the old connection and block it in the router's firewall. Albeit, a lot of routers don't have separate network rules for LAN and WAN, but if yours does, I'd definitely try this. If yousing IP isn't possible, maybe you can use the MAC address.

No problem ;) But when you're done gaming, can you maybe help me doing that ? I dont have any idea what the stuff meant you wrote there :D I have Windows 10 btw :)

My router is a FritzBox 7390 and i have a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller onboard and a add in Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter if that helps you in some way :)

Thanks man ;)

5 hours ago, Malaber said:

No problem ;) But when you're done gaming, can you maybe help me doing that ? I dont have any idea what the stuff meant you wrote there :D I have Windows 10 btw :)

My router is a FritzBox 7390 and i have a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller onboard and a add in Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter if that helps you in some way :)

Thanks man ;)

Uhh. I know my way around windows but I can't help you with that particular router. I know of them, but haven't ever used one myself. I do believe it's elaborate enough to have these functions. Windows doesn't have may options either. They're being pretty stupid about networking. Home doesn't have the functions and Pro assumes you're a friggin engineer that inputs coffee and outputs ones and zeroes. I'll try and explain so you can help yourself.

First off, the network settings in Windows 10 can be found in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. Right-click on a device and pick Properties to modify the settings.

The built in firewall in Windows is pretty awful. You can't make a rule in it based on the hardware. It could solve your problems if you could. But meh.

So, QoS (Quality of Service) is a protocol that makes the hardware do it's very best to guarantee connection for specified devices. You can turn it on and off in Windows Network settings but you should also look though the router settings to enable it there too. On for everyone else and off for you.

For you to be able to set settings (like deny connection) that apply only to your computer, you must either use the MAC address or the IP. Your MAC address is kind of a serial number for the network device. The router may or may not be able to use it in settings. If not, IP it is. You have to set a static (one that doesn't change) IP address for your computer and then in the router firewall/NAT settings find a way to deny access for that particular IP. You should know that if you have one static and several dynamic (ones that do change) you risk some other computer randomly getting the same IP. That's why you might need to set static IP addresses for all the computers in the house. 

LAn is Local Area Network and WAN is Wide Area Network, also known as the Internet. It may or may not be the case that once you deny access for the IP, it denies for both LAN and WAN. That'd be a problem. 

Lastly/Tl;Dr, NetLimiter is a third party (made by someone other than yourself or Microsoft) firewall program I personally use. It's a lot easier to use. You can also use it to get stats on your usage and so on. But most importantly, it allows you to set firewall rules based on hardware. Simply create a rule that denies access to Internet but allows to local network for the old connection and no rules for the new connection. 

Well first of all thank you for explaining so well ! But if I block myself in the router, my computer still thinks it has connection and i just get a page from the router shown which says you are not allowed to access the internet right now ... 

and when I try to use NetLimiter (which I have done at some point to regulate my bandwith) it just says that the trial period is over.. but you said there is a free version ? where can i get it from ? That would solve my problem in the easies way I guess... 

But today I talked to a friend of mine and what he said seems to work.. I just changed the Gateway of the old connection to something stupid.. Now I access the Internet over the new line and can still use the printer so everything is fine ! 

But still thanks for trying to help me man :))

Is 6Mbps the fastest connection you can get at your house? If not, why not simply upgrade the existing connection, and avoid these issues all together?

If 6Mbps is the best your ISP offers, then it gets quite complicated. Windows itself does Network Load balancing automatically. You cannot tell it on a program-by-program basis to send traffic to one vs the other. I'm not sure there is a simple way to achieve what you want to do.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Is 6Mbps the fastest connection you can get at your house? If not, why not simply upgrade the existing connection, and avoid these issues all together?

If 6Mbps is the best your ISP offers, then it gets quite complicated. Windows itself does Network Load balancing automatically. You cannot tell it on a program-by-program basis to send traffic to one vs the other. I'm not sure there is a simple way to achieve what you want to do.

The Problem is already solved ;) But yes 6Mbps is the fastest Internet connection I can get around here... We will get glassfibre in a year, but until then I'll have to live with 700kbs download I guess :D