Which OS will be installed on a newly formatted mac?

I had El Capitan for about 6 months now but I've decided to reinstall Windows as I needed more space for the latter. Upon setting up bootcamp, all went well until I reached the windows installation wherein it prompted me that my hard drive was of GPT, there seems to be a problem with El Capitan's way of creating the partition compared to previous OSes so I just decided to restore my mac to its factory settings since I've wanted to format it too anyway. Question is, when I'm on recovery mode, which OS will be installed on my newly formatted partition? The Old OS that came with my mac back when it was purchased or my new OS which is El Capitan?

I'm pretty sure El Capitan, let me research 

edit

yah it should be whatever is currently installed. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm pretty sure El Capitan, let me research 

edit

yah it should be whatever is currently installed. 

Thank you! I guess I'm stuck with El Capitan :( 

3 minutes ago, flexluthor said:

Thank you! I guess I'm stuck with El Capitan :( 

nonsense you can downgrade via clean install! Look it up :)

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

22 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

nonsense you can downgrade via clean install! Look it up :)

Oh, cool thanks. I know one way though but for some reason, I have to pay for an os I already own.

Windows should be able to install to GPT just fine, unless it's xp or older. Maybe there's some security setting you need to disable to have it install. What exactly does the installer say?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, flexluthor said:

Oh, cool thanks. I know one way though but for some reason, I have to pay for an os I already own.

I think Yosemite was a free upgrade. You SHOULD be able to take a retail install image and have no problem doing a clean install, but double check that first. It's been a while since I've owned a mac 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Windows should be able to install to GPT just fine, unless it's xp or older. Maybe there's some security setting you need to disable to have it install. What exactly does the installer say?

It's saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

I've searched around and found this: http://macriot.com/mcrt/?p=2362 . They said Boot Camp (I guess newer Boot Camps since my old Boot Camp from Mountain Lion worked flawlessly) was inadvertently changing the drive's identification from gpt to a hybrid GPT/MBR disk thus resulting in that error.

I'm installing Windows 10 btw, tried 7 but El Capitan's Boot Camp doesn't seem to support it despite saying it supports Windows 7 and up on its window. 

12 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I think Yosemite was a free upgrade. You SHOULD be able to take a retail install image and have no problem doing a clean install, but double check that first. It's been a while since I've owned a mac 

Oh, I see. I'll try looking for one. Thanks

16 minutes ago, flexluthor said:

It's saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

I've searched around and found this: http://macriot.com/mcrt/?p=2362 . They said Boot Camp (I guess newer Boot Camps since my old Boot Camp from Mountain Lion worked flawlessly) was inadvertently changing the drive's identification from gpt to a hybrid GPT/MBR disk thus resulting in that error.

I'm installing Windows 10 btw, tried 7 but El Capitan's Boot Camp doesn't seem to support it despite saying it supports Windows 7 and up on its window. 

Oh, I see. I'll try looking for one. Thanks

Have you tried following the guide you linked?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Have you tried following the guide you linked?

Unfortunately I've had problems when using sudo on the terminal. I'll try to do it again when I return as it might just be some kind security setting.