Basic Network Config

ddswh1pk0s

Hello everyone,

I have recently discovered that I will soon be needing more ethernet ports than my ISP provided router/switch combo has (4). 1 for my main PC, 1 for my school laptop, since the wireless adapter on it is almost shot, 1 for a NAS that I haven't built yet, and 1 for my 2nd PC that my friend uses when he comes over. Well technically, that's only 4 but I would like to have them connected with Gigabit speeds, since the ISP provided router/switch combo only has 1Gbe port and the other 3 are 100Mbps.

My planned solution is to buy a 5 port unmanaged switch which I found for $22 AUD.

My current network config is [fibre termination box] -> cat5e [router/switch combo wan port] -> cat5e via Gbe port [main pc].

Once I buy the switch, if I want all devices to connect to the internet, is the correct config going to be:

[fibre termination box] -> cat5e [router/switch combo wan port] -> cat5e via Gbe port [switch] -> cat5e [main+other PCs]

OR should I put the switch before the router/switch combo? I heard this somewhere but I think that is wrong since the router provides DHCP and firewall.

Thanks in advance

just plug the switch into one of the lan ports of the router, and you're good to go.

but if your isp box only has one gigabit port, i suggest going straight for an 8-port unmanaged gigabit switch, they're not much more expensive, and it'll result in you having 7 gigabit ports, and the 3 100Mbit left open for crap that cant do gigabit either way. (reaspberry pi for example)