Black screen after AMD update

Similarly to another thread here about amd card. I updated the AMD graphics driver yesterday didn't do much on computer so nothing happened. Today decided to open a game, few minutes into it got black screen with vertical stripes restarted the pc and from then I can't  access it normally. After the Windows logo a small line flickers at the bottom and it goes black. It work on safe mode with networking. I uninstalled the driver from device manager, restarted and it was all good for 1-2 minutes then it went to black again. The driver was automatically reinstalled. Now I removed it with DDU, restarted and got the same black screen after a minute, the only difference that it wasn't reinstalled. I downloaded the AMD software to install new drivers but I can't install it on the safe mode and get an error "no device driver detected". Maybe there is a separate driver that I can install without running the software? 

I'm using HD 7870. Had similar problems with black screens during games, but it would always be fixed by restarting pc. 

An update:

I tried so more things. Removed the gpu completely cleaned everything AMD related with DDU, plugged it back in and now it works with Microsoft basic display adapter. I cannot install the amd drivers as it crashes everytime and the black screen returns needing to repeat the whole process to get basic display adapter installed. Any ideas? 

Do you use software such as EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner? Some programs glitch out when I overclock my GPU through it.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

If you are having issues WITHOUT the driver then chances are the driver is not the issue - might be a dying card.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Have you moved the pc, or broken a connection? If it happened before you should have contacted whoever sold it you (I made that mistake, hundreds of times)

7 minutes ago, Joegeddon said:

Do you use software such as EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner? Some programs glitch out when I overclock my GPU through it.

I don't.

7 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

If you are having issues WITHOUT the driver then chances are the driver is not the issue - might be a dying card.

5 minutes ago, DawN the 13 year old said:

Have you moved the pc, or broken a connection? If it happened before you should have contacted whoever sold it you (I made that mistake, hundreds of times)

I had the card for almost 4 years now so I guess it would be kind of late to contact and it might as well be dying. But it worked just fine before today with those rare blackouts.

1 minute ago, Z3G said:

I don't.

I had the card for almost 4 years now so I guess it would be kind of late to contact and it might as well be dying. But it worked just fine before today with those rare blackouts.

GPUs usually die in 2 ways

1 - slowly and they show signs such as BSODs/Black Screens/Crashes
2 - instant failure

As for age - most GPUs last for about 4-5 years on average (depending on the use) - some last longer, others last for shorter periods. In any case - try the GPU on another system - if it still has issues then it's dead/dying

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

GPUs usually die in 2 ways

1 - slowly and they show signs such as BSODs/Black Screens/Crashes
2 - instant failure

As for age - most GPUs last for about 4-5 years on average (depending on the use) - some last longer, others last for shorter periods. In any case - try the GPU on another system - if it still has issues then it's dead/dying

I had my 560 Ti die on me (first display only showed white / beige bars, then no display at all) a couple years ago. Then this march I dug it up and it worked. Can you explain that?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I had my 560 Ti die on me (first display only showed white / beige bars, then no display at all) a couple years ago. Then this march I dug it up and it worked. Can you explain that?

Did you change anything else when it died? It could be anything from a faulty PCIe port to a crappy VGA cable - I know I've had wild flickering caused by a crappy analog signal.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Did you change anything else when it died? It could be anything from a faulty PCIe port to a crappy VGA cable - I know I've had wild flickering caused by a crappy analog signal.

I remember taking it off, putting it in a box and tucking it away. And then forgot about it until this march. Installed into the same PCI-E slot and used the same adapters, cables and connectors to hook up my 2 VGA displays.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I remember taking it off, putting it in a box and tucking it away. And then forgot about it until this march. Installed into the same PCI-E slot and used the same adapters, cables and connectors to hook up my 2 VGA displays.

Is it possible the GPU had gotten loose from the PCIe port?

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Is it possible the GPU had gotten loose from the PCIe port?

Well, when it was dying, I reseated it multiple times, tried all connectors, etc. The only thing I didn't do back then was switch up drivers which might have been the problem.

Or maybe I fixed it with black magic. :P

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Well, when it was dying, I reseated it multiple times, tried all connectors, etc. The only thing I didn't do back then was switch up drivers which might have been the problem.

Or maybe I fixed it with black magic. :P

True - but the OP's card is giving black screens even in safe mode/without drivers so that makes me believe it's not as simple as a driver thing.

There wasn't blackouts in safe mode but the moment I'm out of it i got them. I was able to get some more time on normal mode without blackout went half through the installation of amd software but it crashed and went to darkness. I contacted amd but I'm don't expect much, guess gonna have to settle for intel hd graphics for a while.

4 minutes ago, Z3G said:

There wasn't blackouts in safe mode but the moment I'm out of it i got them. I was able to get some more time on normal mode without blackout went half through the installation of amd software but it crashed and went to darkness. I contacted amd but I'm don't expect much, guess gonna have to settle for intel hd graphics for a while.

Try the GPU in a different system - if the same occurs it's the card. If not then it's another issue

5 minutes ago, Z3G said:

GPU is probably dieing. Not much you can do about it.

@don_svetlio

y u no chat?

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

GPU is probably dieing. Not much you can do about it.

@don_svetlio

y u no chat?

Cause Exams :P