PC refuses to overclock USB ports?

I'm trying to overclock my intellimouse 3.0 to 500/1000hz and every guide I've followed, it just wont work and I'm 100% positive I'm doing it right.
My local drive is listed as D: and not C: so could that be it even though I've changed all the paths I can manually?
Specs:
Win7 Ult 64-bit
ASRock B75 Pro-3m
Xeon E3-1231v3
kingston ram 1333 8gb
mouse is in a usb 2.0 port.

im 99.99% sure you cant overclock USB ports... 

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

i never new you could overclock usb ports

I'm not sure if this is considered overclocking the port itself (which I have heard of before) but It is basically signing an unidentified driver to the mouse so it is allowed to operate at a higher polling rate (500/1000hz preferably) but for some reason my windows refuses to let this happen even using the tools I have found and I cant find out what is blocking it.

1 hour ago, Meestagibbon said:

-snip-

1. It'll most likely be an issue with the software (maybe as you said the drive letter paths)
  2. You'll see zero difference providing that the polling rate of your mouse is more than twice the refresh rate of your monitor
  3. There's no point in doing this whatsoever

3 minutes ago, Mug said:
  1. It'll most likely be an issue with the software (maybe as you said the drive letter paths)
  2. You'll see zero difference providing that the polling rate of your mouse is more than twice the refresh rate of your monitor
  3. There's no point in doing this whatsoever

I've done it before, it's extremely noticeable and has a valid point in doing so. I asked for help on doing it, not misinformation on whether it was worth it or not. Thank you though (:

1 minute ago, Meestagibbon said:

I've done it before, it's extremely noticeable and has a valid point in doing so. I asked for help on doing it, not misinformation on whether it was worth it or not. Thank you though (:

Most likely placebo ngl

1 hour ago, Meestagibbon said:

My local drive is listed as D: and not C

What do you exactly mean by this, because I don't understand this line. And overclocking your mouse sensor is not overclocking a USB port, you cannot overclock an USB port.

42 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

What do you exactly mean by this, because I don't understand this line. And overclocking your mouse sensor is not overclocking a USB port, you cannot overclock an USB port.

My local hard drive is listed as the (D:) Drive and not the (C:) drive which means the path to the folder is D:\Windows\System32\Drivers\HIDUSBF.sys instead of C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\HIDUSBF.sys which means that the included programs are probably executing the path to the C: Drive where nothing is actually located, and I know I worded it incorrectly.

47 minutes ago, Mug said:

Most likely placebo ngl

If you have a mouse that has a polling rate of 500hz or higher and you have the ability to change it, switch it down to 125, open a game and move your mouse slowly left and right at a constant speed, you will see/feel little jitters/skips in the mouse tracking, especially if you have a 144hz monitor. It gives me a headache. 

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

15 minutes ago, Meestagibbon said:

If you have a mouse that has a polling rate of 500hz or higher and you have the ability to change it, switch it down to 125, open a game and move your mouse slowly left and right at a constant speed, you will see/feel little jitters/skips in the mouse tracking, especially if you have a 144hz monitor. It gives me a headache. 

Refer back to my original comment in which I said that it won't be noticeable above the point at which the polling rate of your mouse is twice the polling rate of your monitor.

You didn't say in your original post that you had a 144Hz monitor so I assumed that you had a 60Hz monitor, in which case a 125Hz mose is fine, you wouldn't feel anything and any difference that you did feel would likely be placebo.

Now, I have a mouse with an adjustable polling rate and I can tell you that there is zero difference to me when I change the setting with my 60Hz monitor. I can see that it would be noticeable if you had a high refresh rate monitor with a mouse that's got a lower polling rate than the monitor.

1 hour ago, Mug said:

Refer back to my original comment in which I said that it won't be noticeable above the point at which the polling rate of your mouse is twice the polling rate of your monitor.

You didn't say in your original post that you had a 144Hz monitor so I assumed that you had a 60Hz monitor, in which case a 125Hz mose is fine, you wouldn't feel anything and any difference that you did feel would likely be placebo.

Now, I have a mouse with an adjustable polling rate and I can tell you that there is zero difference to me when I change the setting with my 60Hz monitor. I can see that it would be noticeable if you had a high refresh rate monitor with a mouse that's got a lower polling rate than the monitor.

In your first comment I didn't understand what you were referring to in terms of the monitor. I understand what you mean now and yes it is noticeable on 144hz, just barely but enough to cause an issue for me.

The USB port has nothing to do with how much polling your mouse does. It's purely dependent on the mouse's firmware. And even then, if software is polling faster, if the hardware isn't polling that fast, then there's no real point either. That is, if the sampling rate of the ADC in the mouse is limited, then the fastest you'll ever be able to "poll" is at that rate.

In any case, as with what most people said here, fast polling rates are mostly marketing gimmicks. It's questionable how much data is actually sent to the USB port and thus to the OS. I'm pretty sure if the OS was hammered with a 1000Hz interrupt signal, it'd start freaking out (even in this day and age).

• 1 year later...

I just made an account to tell you you're all wrong, on some mice, overclocking their polling rate produces A a more fluid experience on 144hz and B literally better tracking characteristics like a higher malfunction speed and a higher perfect tracking speed, perfect examples are the wmo and the intellimouse explorer 3.0 which both come stock at 125hz and can be overclocked up to 1000hz which makes them VERY good mice, even competitive with modern mice.

USE GOOGLE BEFORE YOU SPEW YOUR NONSENSE

and op if you're still here: you need a signed driver for windows 10 and such a driver exists, look up sweetlows signed driver if you still want to use your (probably intellimouse), Good Luck