GPU and PCI-E SSD on a Z170 board

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
1 minute ago, Andrej said:

so, basicaly, the way to do it for sure is to go with m.2 nvme (through PCH lanes), leave sata purely for media storage, and stick to single GPU (sli/cfx not interested - goint to upgrade to rx 480), // my xonar phoebus audio is on second pcie-x1 slot, and runing on PCH lanes already, it sould not interfear anyhow with m.2 at x4?

yes :)

Hi. I`m planing a purchase - intel 750 SSD on PCI-E x4.

So, first slot is occupied with GPU and running at 16x, if i stick intel 750 to the 2 slot will it run at 4x keeping first at 16x, or they both going to run at 8x? What if the 3rd slot? (Asus Z170 pro gaming, 6700K). help. (gpu - gtx 960 - it`s not going to bottleneck even x8, i know.)

You'll have to check the manual for that board as to which slots are primary or secondary.  If you stick it in one of the primary slots with the GPU, it will drop to 8x and the SSD will run at 4x, allowing another 4x card.  If you put it in a secondary slot, the GPU will stay at 16x and the SSD will still be at 4x anyway

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You'll have to check the manual for that board as to which slots are primary or secondary.  If you stick it in one of the primary slots with the GPU, it will drop to 8x and the SSD will run at 4x, allowing another 4x card.  If you put it in a secondary slot, the GPU will stay at 16x and the SSD will still be at 4x anyway

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/E10719_Z170_PRO_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.50403945.1955987645.1463146020

what if i`m using m2 samsung 950 pro? does it mix anyhow my pci-e speeds?

3 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Looks like your GPU will have to run at 8x but there won't be a noticeable decrease in performance.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Looks like the top two are primary for use with a single or dual GPUs, and the third one is electrically 4x even though it's full length.  That's where the SSD goes :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Depends on the M.2, some use the SATA controller while other use PCIe. You won't get the high speeds if you get a SATA one.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

No. The M.2 slot has the PCIe lanes running from the PCH and does not intefere with the Graphics PCIe lanes at all.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Are you sure the GPU PCIe slot would slow down to 8x if a 4x PCIe SSD is installed in the slot meant for SLI?

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

950 pro - nvme based, board supports boot from nvme drives, slot is wired at x4.

3 minutes ago, intelCore said:

No. The M.2 slot has the PCIe lanes running from the PCH and does not intefere with the Graphics PCIe lanes at all.

Are you sure the GPU PCIe slot would slow down to 8x if a 4x PCIe SSD is installed in the slot meant for SLI?

I think it would.  First of all afaik the only modes it can operate in are 16x, 8x 8x, and 8x 4x 4x, so there's that, plus, the CPU only has 16 lanes into it and that's where those slots go as far as I can tell.

2 minutes ago, intelCore said:

so, basicaly, the way to do it for sure is to go with m.2 nvme (through PCH lanes), leave sata purely for media storage, and stick to single GPU (sli/cfx not interested - goint to upgrade to rx 480), // my xonar phoebus audio is on second pcie-x1 slot, and runing on PCH lanes already, it sould not interfear anyhow with m.2 at x4?

yes :)

Thanks a lot, now it`s time to figure out how to save some couple of hundrets EUR-s.