Ultra Wides

deadrian13
Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,

Well the better choice for a workstation would be the Dell. The Acer Predator X34 comes with G-sync, and a 100 HZ panel which SERIOUSLY inflate the price. G-sync and 100hz are things primarily aimed at gamers, and have no real practical benefits to anyone else. If you're not gaming (or primarily not gaming) then that is the sort of thing that you would basically waste money on. and gaming 100 fps @ 1440p still requires one heck of a computer to really make the most of. I would recommend you save yourself some unnecessary cash and get the dell, which is pretty much the specs otherwise.

Now if you DO intend to do a fair amount of gaming, especially if you're into highly competitive gaming, then maybe G-sync IS for you. for the most part, and for most people out there, they can just use V-sync for their gaming needs (to prevent screen tearing in their games). the downside of that is that it causes input lag. So most highly competitive gamers leave it off. The down side of that is it often results in screen tearing. G-sync basically is both of those birds with one stone. It alleviates almost all screen tearing, without giving you significantly increased input lag. Outside of gaming, this feature has (so far as i'm aware) almost no practical use. NOTE: G-sync works only with Nvidia GPU's, if you have an AMD GPU, having G-sync will do absolutely nothing for you. If you DO have an AMD card, look for monitors with "freesync" instead, this is the AMD equivalent of G-sync

So basically, if you're going to game and game hard, get the X34 if you can afford it, otherwise, its smarter to save your extra cash and get the Dell.

Hey everyone,

I'm upgrading my monitors to 1440p and was considering getting an ultra wide. Has anyone used these to video edit? I know they only come with a matte finish which is unfortunate because I'm so use to glossy screens while editing. My other option is to get two 1440p screens, one glossy and one matte. 

Thanks!

Tons of people use 1440p ultrawide monitors for video editing. that's actually one of the things they primarily advertise about them is their significantly increased screen real estate. Some people prefer the single panel so they don't have any bezels to deal with, or multiple screen tracking/hoping or having limited space on their desks.

I do not personally fall into this category, but there are TONS of youtube videos out there, some by linus, but others as well that all say how much they love ultrawides for their workstations.

2 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Tons of people use 1440p ultrawide monitors for video editing. that's actually one of the things they primarily advertise about them is their significantly increased screen real estate. Some people prefer the single panel so they don't have any bezels to deal with, or multiple screen tracking/hoping or having limited space on their desks.

I do not personally fall into this category, but there are TONS of youtube videos out there, some by linus, but others as well that all say how much they love ultrawides for their workstations.

Thanks! I've watched lots of videos, including linus's. It's just so hard to choose. I was thinking of going with the Dell U3415w or the Acer Predator. Other than the 100hz I don't know how much of a difference it is?

Well the better choice for a workstation would be the Dell. The Acer Predator X34 comes with G-sync, and a 100 HZ panel which SERIOUSLY inflate the price. G-sync and 100hz are things primarily aimed at gamers, and have no real practical benefits to anyone else. If you're not gaming (or primarily not gaming) then that is the sort of thing that you would basically waste money on. and gaming 100 fps @ 1440p still requires one heck of a computer to really make the most of. I would recommend you save yourself some unnecessary cash and get the dell, which is pretty much the specs otherwise.

Now if you DO intend to do a fair amount of gaming, especially if you're into highly competitive gaming, then maybe G-sync IS for you. for the most part, and for most people out there, they can just use V-sync for their gaming needs (to prevent screen tearing in their games). the downside of that is that it causes input lag. So most highly competitive gamers leave it off. The down side of that is it often results in screen tearing. G-sync basically is both of those birds with one stone. It alleviates almost all screen tearing, without giving you significantly increased input lag. Outside of gaming, this feature has (so far as i'm aware) almost no practical use. NOTE: G-sync works only with Nvidia GPU's, if you have an AMD GPU, having G-sync will do absolutely nothing for you. If you DO have an AMD card, look for monitors with "freesync" instead, this is the AMD equivalent of G-sync

So basically, if you're going to game and game hard, get the X34 if you can afford it, otherwise, its smarter to save your extra cash and get the Dell.

24 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Wow thanks for that information. I never new that v-sync and g-sync were different. Well at least I never thought of it. I do game a lot but not competitively. Mostly fps with story lines and some MMO-RPGs.  I'm going to get the gtx 1070 and have a 5930k at the moment. However, video editing is the focus. But now that I know what V-sync is I'll just get the sell and have that on. 60fps is good enough for me! Thanks again, you've helped a lot!