ASUS P9X79-E WS - where to buy

LinusTech

Yes, you can do gaming on a workstation board but this is NOT a gaming board. I'm sure Asus is expecting it to be used with Xeons, not i7 processors. It also probably expects the crossfire or SLI to be used for GPU computing not gaming.

So for $500 it's an expensive gaming board, but for a workstation (that actually does a lot of WORK) it's awesome.

Would this board be overkill for something like a file server with all the PCI-e slots populated with RAID cards?

yea you could probably go with a low 1150 xeon to do something like that easily enough though I guess that deepens on how many raid cards your going to have but you really dont need the horsepower of a 2011 socket board for a file server.

yea you could probably go with a low 1150 xeon to do something like that easily enough though I guess that deepens on how many raid cards your going to have but you really dont need the horsepower of a 2011 socket board for a file server.

I was thinking file/media server.

I was thinking file/media server.

It still should be able to handle streaming and that sort of stuff, I personally dont see why it wouldnt.

• 1 year later...

I like the ASUS P9X79E-WS and I have it since 2 months. I like it.