Steam Controller for 35USD

steam link is cheaper too:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Is this worth getting even if I don't like playing with controllers? Just to know that I can - if I wish?

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

5 hours ago, FIXXX said:

Is this worth getting even if I don't like playing with controllers? Just to know that I can - if I wish?

The Steam controller is amazing only when it's perfectly configured to a game. So just to own one casually is not the best idea. If you like the idea of configuring it to your liking in every game by using these guides Steam Community :: Steam Controller  and figuring out how any of it works, then the controller is for you. :P

I held on in Microcenter and it felt very cheap.  The analog stick felt horrible as well as the touch pads. 

4 minutes ago, swifty7 said:

I held on in Microcenter and it felt very cheap.  The analog stick felt horrible as well as the touch pads. 

That's a subjective matter.

To me, the controller feels solid, and the analog stick...feel about the same as the Xbox One controller I have that is somewhat dying on me. 

And you also have to look at it at a value perspective.

35USD for a controller, USB wireless dongle...while comparing it to an Xbox One Controller that is 60USD retail not including the Wireless USB Dongle that cost an extra 25USD.

And their are addition features to the controller such as being able to use it in the desktop environment.

Just going to throw this out there...

The Steam controller is garbage. It works and it's unique. But I have never used it since I bought it 3 months ago, simply because It's just not practical.

Any game I want to play with a controller I have a 360 and XB1 controller for it, and it works great. 

Spoiler

xbox one controller is more expensive for a reason.   You pay for what you get.   The only problem I have with it is with emulators using the wireless dongle.

Just throwing this in there too -

The Xbox controller is more comfortable because it's based on industry standards, but the Steam controller is less of a competitor and more of a different option. It's the only option you can buy with freely obtained steamwallet money via trading too, so there's that.

On 6/3/2016 at 3:12 AM, MilkJugg24 said:

Just going to throw this out there...

The Steam controller is garbage. It works and it's unique. But I have never used it since I bought it 3 months ago, simply because It's just not practical.

Any game I want to play with a controller I have a 360 and XB1 controller for it, and it works great. 

Its truly subjective. Aside from games where the dpad reigns supreme(which could change, I've just not spent much time with the SC in them), I've not returned to using either xbox controller or the dualshock 4 since october. Honestly its the best controller I've personally ever used.

On 03/06/2016 at 0:53 AM, itsmyjobtoknow said:

That's a subjective matter.

To me, the controller feels solid, and the analog stick...feel about the same as the Xbox One controller I have that is somewhat dying on me. 

And you also have to look at it at a value perspective.

35USD for a controller, USB wireless dongle...while comparing it to an Xbox One Controller that is 60USD retail not including the Wireless USB Dongle that cost an extra 25USD.

And their are addition features to the controller such as being able to use it in the desktop environment.

The only thing that felt cheap about it to me was the battery cover.

And i say this as someone with an xbox one elite controller.

Its nearly on part with the feeling of quality of the org 360 controller..a bit less cause of the battery cover.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

20 hours ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Its truly subjective. Aside from games where the dpad reigns supreme(which could change, I've just not spent much time with the SC in them), I've not returned to using either xbox controller or the dualshock 4 since october. Honestly its the best controller I've personally ever used.

For games that could use controllers, the XB1 or 360 controller will always be the best.

And any games that would use the Steam controller, you might as well use a KB+M. Or just get a Corsair Lapdog.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, MilkJugg24 said:

For games that could use controllers, the XB1 or 360 controller will always be the best.

And any games that would use the Steam controller, you might as well use a KB+M. Or just get a Corsair Lapdog.

I completely disagree, because its a personal thing. I've spent over 100 hours with the steam controller and I've yet to desire going back to using any of my aforementioned controllers. I bought it as as a replacement for controllers in controller oriented games, and its done just that.

13 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

I completely disagree, because its a personal thing. I've spent over 100 hours with the steam controller and I've yet to desire going back to using any of my aforementioned controllers. I bought it as as a replacement for controllers in controller oriented games, and its done just that.

You're the first of many people I've seen that has said that the Steam controller has replaced their aforementioned controller.

That's very interesting. I used mine on several steam games that I thought it would be good for. Such as Factorio, Terraria, Penumbra, and many more. And it seems that the controller just gets outperformed by KB+M 9/10 times speed and intuitiveness wise.

Not to mention the learning curve resets because every game has almost completely different control schemes, and there's no universal controller design methods.

Patience is also a strong factor when using the Steam controller, as it pretty much hinders you to playing at a slower pace, and if you have played a game with KB+M previously, you'll notice how much slower it actually is. Which for me, is really the most frustrating part of it.

Spoiler