Old Follow Topic settings were way better.

zacRupnow

Used to be that I could follow a topic and get notifications each week instead of instantly, now if I want that it has to be by email. Please change that setting back or add a new setting: "One email Forum Notification per week with all new content from that week."

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Are you sure it used to be that way? IIRC daily/weekly/monthly digests were only available as emails. You could maybe create Activity stream for that and check it weekly only.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can you explain why you would want a weekly notification that just links you to a thread? The point of digest emails is that they summarise the content for you, but that doesn't make sense for a notification.

As mentioned above, an activity stream might be more suited to your needs, though you would probably want to configure it as "topics that I follow and haven't read, oldest first, including comments", then follow the topics with the "don't send me notifications" option checked.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Can you explain why you would want a weekly notification that just links you to a thread? The point of digest emails is that they summarise the content for you, but that doesn't make sense for a notification.

As mentioned above, an activity stream might be more suited to your needs, though you would probably want to configure it as "topics that I follow and haven't read, oldest first, including comments", then follow the topics with the "don't send me notifications" option checked.

I don't ever want to receive unnecessary emails from anywhere, no ads, no newsletters, no summarized digests. I only want to see my LinusTechTips forum activity on LinusTechTips forums and in a number on my browser's Linus Tech Tips Notifications extension. Skimming through what I missed in a week on a thread is much quicker than skimming through an email and missing things that were not included in the summary. What makes the logic behind the instant notifications being on the site and timed options email only make sense? There are user settings that make notifications send emails, I have those off and only want certain threads to notify me weekly or monthly, the old forum used to do that and it made more sense. It still makes more sense and especially since there is still a user setting that makes notifications emails. The point of following a topic is to get notifications, not emails, that is a setting. And Activity Streams are for following individuals, not threads. Point is when I want to see LinusTechTips stuff I go to this website, when I want see what my friends are up to I go to Facebook, when I want to get news I go to Reddit or TYT, to see new video content I go to Youtube. For me, Emails are for Amazon or Steam receipts, Jury Summons, and Craigslist type deals.

15 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

I don't ever want to receive unnecessary emails from anywhere, no ads, no newsletters, no summarized digests. I only want to see my LinusTechTips forum activity on LinusTechTips forums and in a number on my browser's Linus Tech Tips Notifications extension. Skimming through what I missed in a week on a thread is much quicker than skimming through an email and missing things that were not included in the summary. What makes the logic behind the instant notifications being on the site and timed options email only make sense? There are user settings that make notifications send emails, I have those off and only want certain threads to notify me weekly or monthly, the old forum used to do that and it made more sense. It still makes more sense and especially since there is still a user setting that makes notifications emails. The point of following a topic is to get notifications, not emails, that is a setting. And Activity Streams are for following individuals, not threads. Point is when I want to see LinusTechTips stuff I go to this website, when I want see what my friends are up to I go to Facebook, when I want to get news I go to Reddit or TYT, to see new video content I go to Youtube. For me, Emails are for Amazon or Steam receipts, Jury Summons, and Craigslist type deals.

I understand that, and I don't get any emails from the forum. However, I don't see the purpose of getting a forum notification for that - all it would do is tell you that lots of people have replied to this topic that you followed a week ago. Why not just get the notifications instantly? If multiple people reply to the thread, the notifications get merged together into one "colonel_mortis and 5 others" notification.

However, as I said, I think an activity stream (forgot to link it last time, and it may not have been visible if you went to look for it) is far more suited to your needs, because it allows you to get access to all the content that you're interested in, all in one place.

HTTP/2 203

7 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I understand that, and I don't get any emails from the forum. However, I don't see the purpose of getting a forum notification for that - all it would do is tell you that lots of people have replied to this topic that you followed a week ago. Why not just get the notifications instantly? If multiple people reply to the thread, the notifications get merged together into one "colonel_mortis and 5 others" notification.

However, as I said, I think an activity stream (forgot to link it last time, and it may not have been visible if you went to look for it) is far more suited to your needs, because it allows you to get access to all the content that you're interested in, all in one place.

My reasoning is that most topics I follow are image based, build logs, Central Food in Off Topic, the meme thread. I follow topics I post instantly. I used to follow topics like build logs weekly but since the new forum I don't because of emails. Now here is why I don't use the Activity Stream, it can only show updates to things I post, comment on, or specific other users posts. I don't want to follow specific users, I just want to follow specific threads whether or not I have commented on them. Hope that clears things up.

WhyIDontUseActivityStream.PNG

30 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

My reasoning is that most topics I follow are image based, build logs, Central Food in Off Topic, the meme thread. I follow topics I post instantly. I used to follow topics like build logs weekly but since the new forum I don't because of emails. Now here is why I don't use the Activity Stream, it can only show updates to things I post, comment on, or specific other users posts. I don't want to follow specific users, I just want to follow specific threads whether or not I have commented on them. Hope that clears things up.

WhyIDontUseActivityStream.PNG

If you have it set up as you do there, then just follow the topics that you're interested in with "Don't send me any notifications", then, assuming you usually read topics that you follow, it might work. If not, you might be better just to bookmark the thread, then check back on it every so often, if you really don't want emails or to follow it instantly.

HTTP/2 203