Question: Can a laptop with a 6 bit panel LCD screen be upgraded to an 8 bit panel of the same type/resolution/backlight?

Backstory: I recently purchased a laptop that is great except the screen uses a 6 bit panel (with dithering, ugh). I doubt I'll change it (if it even is possible) since I'm a bit broke right now, but out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knows something regarding this matter. The internet appears to be quite unhelpful from my searches on this subject.

If anyone is curious, the specific laptop is the CyberpowerPC Tracer-15 (monitor ID shows up as "lgd046f" as I have discovered).

Hi there!

laptops are impossible to upgrade most of the time (except ram and hdd/ssd)

10 hours ago, DarkRuskov said:

laptops are impossible to upgrade most of the time (except ram and hdd/ssd)

I am aware that the process is not as simple as upgrading those components. I'm more referring to having a 3rd party do the replacement. Obviously, it would void any warranty, but for the sake of the question, I just want to know if it's feasible.

Hi there!

45 minutes ago, GuitarBro said:

I am aware that the process is not as simple as upgrading those components. I'm more referring to having a 3rd party do the replacement. Obviously, it would void any warranty, but for the sake of the question, I just want to know if it's feasible.

You should be able to replace the panel with something else you like, so long the panel you are getting is of the same size, has the same positions where you would screw the panel onto the chassis and also the same connector.

EDIT: It should be as simple as popping the bezel off, unscrewing the old panel, disconnect the old panel, connecting the new panel, screwing in the new panel and popping the bezel back into place.

Sorry, I have a bad habit of not completing my post fully and clicking submit hastily.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I have done many LCD mods on laptops, including those that require soldering a new adapter. The first thing you need to do is compare the pin layout of both panels and see if there are differences. Use the data sheet to do this. If they are different, you will need to solder a new adapter.

However, I wouldn't bother in the first place because going from 6 to 8 bit is not something that is likely going to work.

Also,

20 hours ago, GuitarBro said:

LG lgd046f

is not actually the display that your laptop uses. All LG display models start with "LP". Example: LP125WF-SLB1.

1 minute ago, Hamako said:

I have done many LCD mods on laptops, including those that require soldering new adapter. The first thing you need to do is compare the pin layout of both panels and see if there are differences. Use the data sheet to do this. If they are different, you will need to solder a new adapter.

However, I wouldn't bother in the first place because going from 6 to 8 bit is not something that is likely going to work. You could possibly find a suitable sRGB panel for your laptops,

Also,

is not actually the display that your laptop uses. All LG display models start with "LP". Example: LP125WF-SLB1.

Ah interesting. And thanks for the tip, any idea what that ID corresponds to, then?

Hi there!

You can replace your laptop monitor if the spare part has the EXACTLY same connector from your old monitor

8 hours ago, bagusnl said:

You can replace your laptop monitor if the spare part has the EXACTLY same connector from your old monitor

No, the pin layout might still be different. Not to mention that some laptops even have display whitelists.

On 02/06/2016 at 2:25 PM, Hamako said:

No, the pin layout might still be different. Not to mention that some laptops even have display whitelists.

maybe, but in the past, i has temporary changed my notebook monitor with bigger and its going well.

• 3 months later...
On 02/06/2016 at 6:51 AM, GuitarBro said:

Ah interesting. And thanks for the tip, any idea what that ID corresponds to, then?

It's actually classed as an LG Phillips.. I'm guessing its a joint venture. I know this as its the same panel in my laptop (Metabox which is just a re-branded Clevo). There's a 4K option that I know for a fact fits (it was an upgrade option at the time of purchase) in the same shell as mine and there for, yours. That one has 8bit colour and 99% RGB or whatever the standard is but that's a lot of pixels to push and it would cos you about $300-500USD I'd imagine.

51 minutes ago, sean2e said:

It's actually classed as an LG Phillips.. I'm guessing its a joint venture. I know this as its the same panel in my laptop (Metabox which is just a re-branded Clevo). There's a 4K option that I know for a fact fits (it was an upgrade option at the time of purchase) in the same shell as mine and there for, yours. That one has 8bit colour and 99% RGB or whatever the standard is but that's a lot of pixels to push and it would cos you about $300-500USD I'd imagine.

Wow, thanks for the info. Yeah that's pretty crazy, but nice to know.

Hi there!

The key to replacing a laptop LCD panel is whether or not the panel uses LVDS, or eDP.  And of course, physical compatibility. 

http://www.panelook.com/LP156WF4-SPL1_LG Display_15.6_LCM_overview_22815.html

The panel appears to be 30-pin eDP.  So you should be able to replace it with a 30pin eDP model. 

Unfortunately for you, full-colour panels in the 15.6" form factor, IPS, seem to be rare:

http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=&pl=&sizes[]=15.6&application=NBPC&display_mode_lc_family=IPS&resolution_pixels=19201080&signal_type_category=eDP&page=2

http://www.panelook.com/LTN156HL06-C01_Samsung_15.6_LCM_overview_24666.html

You potentially could use this opportunity to transition to a 4K panel though.   There are 3 4K panels which would meet your specs.  But 4K would depend upon whether your laptop's electronics could handle it.   Would be a very unique laptop though if you could source and integrate that panel :).

http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=&pl=&sizes[]=15.6&application=NBPC&display_mode_lc_family=IPS&signal_type_category=eDP&resolution_pixels=38402160

7 hours ago, Mark77 said:

The key to replacing a laptop LCD panel is whether or not the panel uses LVDS, or eDP.  And of course, physical compatibility. 

http://www.panelook.com/LP156WF4-SPL1_LG Display_15.6_LCM_overview_22815.html

The panel appears to be 30-pin eDP.  So you should be able to replace it with a 30pin eDP model. 

Unfortunately for you, full-colour panels in the 15.6" form factor, IPS, seem to be rare:

http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=&pl=&sizes[]=15.6&application=NBPC&display_mode_lc_family=IPS&resolution_pixels=19201080&signal_type_category=eDP&page=2

http://www.panelook.com/LTN156HL06-C01_Samsung_15.6_LCM_overview_24666.html

You potentially could use this opportunity to transition to a 4K panel though.   There are 3 4K panels which would meet your specs.  But 4K would depend upon whether your laptop's electronics could handle it.   Would be a very unique laptop though if you could source and integrate that panel :).

http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=&pl=&sizes[]=15.6&application=NBPC&display_mode_lc_family=IPS&signal_type_category=eDP&resolution_pixels=38402160

Cool, thanks. Shame there aren't more 15.6" 8-bit panels.

Hi there!