1080 vs. 1080 Ti (Next Year)

Go to solution Solved by ANewFace,

Now you see, you are caught in this, well should I wait for the next thing?, train that so many people get stuck in. If you keep saying should I get this I should I wait for the next thing? Then you could do that forever. I agree with waiting for the broadwell X99 chips, but when it comes to waiting for the 1080 ti, I wouldn't. And who ever said it would be way cheaper? $50 less at best. Just go for the 1080 if you build it before march of next year, just don't wait till may 2018 for the 1180, that's such a long wait and it's not worth it

I decided to build a gaming pc, but I need to wait a year to save up some money. I will be going with a X99 chipset, with intels new Broadwell - E chips. I need to build this pc in exactly a year (May - June 2017). My question is, should I buy a 1080 next year, when it is a lot cheaper, or buy the 1080 Ti when it is released around that time. I don't think I will need anything more power hungry than a 1080, but I also don't want a last gen card (1180 will be out soon that time). Budget is also a concern. I don't want to spend over $2,600 (including monitor). I plan on doing 4k gaming as well. Basically, what would be the best Nvidia GPU to buy next year for 4k gaming?

Just save your money now if you don't have the funds right this second.  Figure out what to do when you're a few weeks away from buying it.

There's no sense planning almost a year in advance, when we have no idea what will happen in the meantime.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, AndyKala said:

I decided to build a gaming pc, but I need to wait a year to save up some money. I will be going with a X99 chipset, with intels new Broadwell - E chips. I need to build this pc in exactly a year (May - June 2017). My question is, should I buy a 1080 next year, when it is a lot cheaper, or buy the 1080 Ti when it is released around that time. I don't think I will need anything more power hungry than a 1080, but I also don't want a last gen card (1180 will be out soon that time). Budget is also a concern. I don't want to spend over $2,600 (including monitor). I plan on doing 4k gaming as well. Basically, what would be the best Nvidia GPU to buy next year for 4k gaming?

1080Ti. Why buy an old card when there is a new one? I mean, yeah it will be cheaper...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Now you see, you are caught in this, well should I wait for the next thing?, train that so many people get stuck in. If you keep saying should I get this I should I wait for the next thing? Then you could do that forever. I agree with waiting for the broadwell X99 chips, but when it comes to waiting for the 1080 ti, I wouldn't. And who ever said it would be way cheaper? $50 less at best. Just go for the 1080 if you build it before march of next year, just don't wait till may 2018 for the 1180, that's such a long wait and it's not worth it

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

1 minute ago, ANewFace said:

Wait, the 1180 is coming in 2018? I thought it would be released May 2017..

1 minute ago, AndyKala said:

Wait, the 1180 is coming in 2018? I thought it would be released May 2017..

Nope, 1180 comes out 2018, they refresh the architecture every 2 years, 1180 will be volta

Pascal1.png

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Nope, 1180 comes out 2018, they refresh the architecture every 2 years, 1180 will be volta

Pascal1.png

Well, this changes everything. I guess I will get the 1080. Should I run SLI with it when Volta comes out?

Well, this changes everything. I guess I will get the 1080. Should I run SLI with it when Volta comes out?

Depends on how cheap you get the second card, personally I like to buy just one of the x80 class GPU and just go to the next one when it comes out every 2 years, (although this year I might pick up 2 1080s)

Depends on how cheap you get the second card, personally I like to buy just one of the x80 class GPU and just go to the next one when it comes out every 2 years, (although this year I might pick up 2 1080s)

I feel the same way, I feel like the 1080 will be great in SLI because of the new bridges. Plus, the 1080 will be cheaper when Volta is soon to be released.

I am in a similar situation just wait if nothing good comes from amd soon I am going intel and nvida. If I do I want a 1080 ti I am waiting for tax season next year I want at least ten cores, 64 gb and 1080s in sli if I dont buy a ti. Good thing is I have a nice enough case storage ands psu so I will only need motherboard cpu ram and gpus and I am planning to drop 2k on just those parts I cant wait. Right now I am shopping for a good deal on an ultrawide monitor.

I feel the same way, I feel like the 1080 will be great in SLI because of the new bridges. Plus, the 1080 will be cheaper when Volta is soon to be released.

No I mean I might pickup to 1080s this year, not when volta is released, IDK if it's worth it to frop money in an old architecture when a new one is out. Also FYI the new bridges aren't really anything special like Nvidia advertises, apparently Nvidia said that even though they aren't officially supporting 3 way or 4 way SLI, if you do get the enthusiasts key which enables it, they said that the regular rigid SLI bridges are plenty capable of supporting the bandwidth for 3 way or 4 way SLI.   

No I mean I might pickup to 1080s this year, not when volta is released, IDK if it's worth it to frop money in an old architecture when a new one is out. Also FYI the new bridges aren't really anything special like Nvidia advertises, apparently Nvidia said that even though they aren't officially supporting 3 way or 4 way SLI, if you do get the enthusiasts key which enables it, they said that the regular rigid SLI bridges are plenty capable of supporting the bandwidth for 3 way or 4 way SLI.   

Oh, well I'm not sure if I will be running SLI yet, but I am happy that I at least decided on a GPU.

4 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

I am in a similar situation just wait if nothing good comes from amd soon I am going intel and nvida. If I do I want a 1080 ti I am waiting for tax season next year I want at least ten cores, 64 gb and 1080s in sli if I dont buy a ti. Good thing is I have a nice enough case storage ands psu so I will only need motherboard cpu ram and gpus and I am planning to drop 2k on just those parts I cant wait. Right now I am shopping for a good deal on an ultrawide monitor.

You are going to need more than 2K buddy, i7 6950X that is 10 cores if going to be $1500, 1080s are going to be $650 each, motherboard is going to run you at least $250, and 64gb of RAM is going to run you $250. You are going to need over 3K 

2 minutes ago, ANewFace said:

You are going to need more than 2K buddy, i7 6950X that is 10 cores if going to be $1500, 1080s are going to be $650 each, motherboard is going to run you at least $250, and 64gb of RAM is going to run you $250. You are going to need over 3K 

I don't plan on getting the 6950X, I want the 6800K. And I plan on going with 16GB of RAM. 

3 minutes ago, ANewFace said:

I don't plan on getting the 6950X, I want the 6800K. And I plan on going with 16GB of RAM. 

Plus, I won't be getting the 2nd card for a while lol.

Yeah, I didn't intend that for you, I'm probably going to get the 6900K myself

Yeah, I didn't intend that for you, I'm probably going to get the 6900K myself

Oh I'm so dumb, I though I was quoted in that, sorry mate.

4 minutes ago, ANewFace said:

I am going to look for deals and i can just get one gpu and another later on. I always though the extreme editions were 1000 when the hell did the bump it up to 1500. AMD needs to step it up intel can just charge whatever right now. In that case ill drop down to an 8 core i7, get 32gb first and one 1080 maybe ti then add on to that later.

2 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

I am going to look for deals and i can just get one gpu and another later on. I always though the extreme editions were 1000 when the hell did the bump it up to 1500. AMD needs to step it up intel can just charge whatever right now. In that case ill drop down to an 8 core i7, get 32gb first and one 1080 maybe ti then add on to that later.

They are steeping up the 10 core to $1500, the 8 core 6900K is going to be $1000 like it is now, and don't expect AMD to come out with anything that competes with extreme editions

They are steeping up the 10 core to $1500, the 8 core 6900K is going to be $1000 like it is now, and don't expect AMD to come out with anything that competes with extreme editions

Hey, if I were to run SLI, should I buy the "last gen" bridge, or get the current one. I prefer the custom ones from laster year, like the EVGA ones.

Hey, if I were to run SLI, should I buy the "last gen" bridge, or get the current one. I prefer the custom ones from laster year, like the EVGA ones.

Doesn't matter 

3 minutes ago, ANewFace said:

Yah I know sadly I can only hope though. What intel cpu has the most pci lanes without killing my wallet I want at least 6 cores, but I know for gaming 4 with ht is fine. I want to go intel just for nvme 2 samsung ssds in raid 0 would be pretty nuts.

1 minute ago, lonewolf5460 said:

Yah I know sadly I can only hope though. What intel cpu has the most pci lanes without killing my wallet I want at least 6 cores, but I know for gaming 4 with ht is fine.

the 6850K 6 core will have 40 lanes for $600

1 minute ago, lonewolf5460 said:

Yah I know sadly I can only hope though. What intel cpu has the most pci lanes without killing my wallet I want at least 6 cores, but I know for gaming 4 with ht is fine.

Currently, its the 5930K. 40 PCIe lanes, 6 cores, and I think you can find one for $560.

Currently, its the 5930K. 40 PCIe lanes, 6 cores, and I think you can find one for $560.

Is that enough for 2 gpus and 2 nvme ssds in raid 0. Also I cant remember but i know only a few boards support raid 0 on nvme on m.2 know of one?