Should I upgrade my GPU or CPU first?

Zack_Hill
Go to solution Solved by Zack_Hill,
2 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Personally I would update the platform. The GPU prices will tumble as they always do but cpu prices and performance are fairly static.. If there is a great offer, I'd take it.. 

The A10 can bottleneck in even in slightly older games.

Review that has a range of cpus in gaming, non gaming and as the on-board graphics etc

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/61510-amd-richland-review-a10-6800k-a10-6700-benchmarked.html

That shows how it can bottleneck a 4770k on a GTX 670.

Platform first, gpu later. Your already bottlenecking the 270.

Alright man, thank you so much! 

Hello, my name is Zack. My Specs are below.

XFX R9 270 Graphics Card

AMD A10-5800k Quad Core APU @ 3.8ghz

16GB of DDR3 Hyperx Memory at 1600mHz

I am on a limited budget ($450 max at the moment). I want to get the GTX 1070/AMD Polaris Equivalent (whatever's cheaper) and the i7 4790k with a motherboard combo from Microcenter. Obviously I don't have the funds to get both, so I need help deciding what to get first. QuakeCon is right around the corner, so I'd like to get somewhat of an upgrade before then.

I mostly play demanding titles such as battlefield 4. I also do some editing with Sony's Movie Studio, but rendering times aren't an issue to me. 

Thanks for the help! 

GPU first

if the CPU/Mobo combo at Microcenter is on a limited offer, then get that first

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

CPU, so as to make use of the upgraded graphics card once you save up for it. And by then prices on the new cards will have dropped. I run a 4790k, can't say enough great things about it.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

gpu but save up for the 1070

New to the forum! Treat me well please :3 as I am a noob

7 minutes ago, hislittlecuzin said:

I vote GPU, that's not a bad processor, and if you have appropriate cooling, overclocking to gain full advantage of your gpu is a viable option assuming your CPU won't bottleneck your GPU.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-A10-5800K

Please don't cite CPU boss, very unreliable source.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the advice.

Seems like most of you guys are going for the GPU! Since I still have the stock cooler on my CPU (yeah I know) I'll probably get an all in one liquid cooler and then overclock it to keep it better suited for the 1070. 

Thanks everyone! 

1 minute ago, Zack_Hill said:

Seems like most of you guys are going for the GPU! Since I still have the stock cooler on my CPU (yeah I know) I'll probably get an all in one liquid cooler and then overclock it to keep it better suited for the 1070. 

Thanks everyone! 

The A10 gets it's rating by the APU it carries, not it's ability to function as a CPU. So by going with a discrete graphics card, you negate it's best feature.

But it's your decision. Just making sure you have all the facts.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

The A10 gets it's rating by the APU it carries, not it's ability to function as a CPU. So by going with a discrete graphics card, you negate it's best feature.

But it's your decision. Just making sure you have all the facts.

I only have an APU because when I first built my PC, I had no interests in serious gaming, That quickly changed, and I bought a 7850, RMA'd that to the 270. Do you think I'll have a better performance gain with spending the money on a CPU/Motherboard or that 1070? That's the main question. 

Personally I would update the platform. The GPU prices will tumble as they always do but cpu prices and performance are fairly static.. If there is a great offer, I'd take it.. 

Review that has a range of cpus in gaming, non gaming and as the on-board graphics etc

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/61510-amd-richland-review-a10-6800k-a10-6700-benchmarked.html

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

4 minutes ago, Zack_Hill said:

I only have an APU because when I first built my PC, I had no interests in serious gaming, That quickly changed, and I bought a 7850, RMA'd that to the 270. Do you think I'll have a better performance gain with spending the money on a CPU/Motherboard or that 1070? That's the main question. 

You won't get a performance gain, in game with the 4790k. But you will lose out on the available performance of the 1070 with the A10. it's a balancing act. So you have to decide to not get the most out of the 1070, or not see any improvements with the new CPU until you can save up for a better card.

2 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Everyone said GPU because this is the GPU section xD 

can you crossfire that apu and your card?

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Everyone said GPU because this is the GPU section xD 

I didn't know whether to put it in the CPU or GPU section. We need a middle ground lol!

1 minute ago, online_olympian said:

Even if he could it wouldn't be worth it.. The 270 would be constantly waiting on the APU and cause horrendous stuttering.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

1 minute ago, online_olympian said:

I think I can, but I remember reading somewhere that I'd actually lose performance, as the APU's integrated GPU would bottleneck the much better discrete card. 

I didn't know whether to put it in the CPU or GPU section. We need a middle ground lol!

Unless you have unlimited funds you'll spend most of your time with something not being taken advantage of. I just got a proper monitor to take advantage of the money in my rig. I only say the CPU because you're getting a deal on it and the new graphics cards are at their maximum cost.

I would go with a cpu mother board combo that you can use that ram. Wait of the vid card til prices drop. or buy used. 

Xeon e5-2670, Intel DX79sr, 16gb g.skill Ares, evga sc 780ti, antec 750 80 plus gold, Phantek Entho pro case

I would recommend you save some more and wait until both AMD and Intel release their new CPU chips later this year. AMD and Nvidia even have new GPU coming along as well later this year. Like Dzzope stated your better off building a new system.