Seagate SSHD or WD Black

DJG_FTW

SSHD or HDD  

7 members have voted

1. 1. SSHD or HDD

• Seagate SSHD
    • Western Digital Back HDD

Hi,

I was wondering if I should get a Seagate SSHD or a WD Black HDD for my new system?  Please Vote on which one I should get and leave comments.

Thank you

WD black then SSD later. The WD Black is a much better HDD.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

A decent HDD like WD Blue or Toshiba HDD. WD Black is pricey. Not worth it's money.

Then get SSD later. Like a 850 evo.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

10 minutes ago, kameshss said:

A decent HDD like WD Blue or Toshiba HDD. WD Black is pricey. Not worth it's money.

i got two of em, ive also had WD blues and i can feel the difference. but if its down to cost a toshiba drive and an SSD is best

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

1 hour ago, kameshss said:

First a SSHD is not a SSD, there is a difference.  Also Price to performance isn't bad for the WD Black.

Thank you for your comment. :)

2 hours ago, kameshss said:

First a SSHD is not a SSD, there is a difference.  Also Price to performance isn't bad for the WD Black.

Sorry accidentally posted it 2 times!

12 minutes ago, DJG_FTW said:

I never said that SSHD is a SSD. I know the difference between those two. WD Black is for rich people. Really not that worth. It was worth when there was no SSD at that time.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Speaking as the owner of a WD Black and a WD Blue (in the same computer, no less), the speed difference between a Black and a Blue is so negligible that I only even notice if I've been working with files on the Blue and switch over to working with files on the Black, or vice versa. What I do notice is that the Black is freaking loud and all but ruins what is otherwise a damn near silent PC.

SSHD's are kind of pointless in desktop applications. Instead of a Black, get yourself a Blue and a ridiculously dirt cheap SSD to use as a short-term boot drive, and save up some money for a much higher-tier 250-500GB SSD down the line that'll take over for your cheapo. My usual standby when I want a cheap SSD is the Micron M500. It's a good quality drive, maybe not the fastest in town anymore, but I can grab 240GB of MLC NAND goodness for ~$60. If you're willing to buy a 64GB SSD from a manufacturer you've never heard of before, you can get one for as little as $20--not much more than the price difference between the WD Blue you should get and the WD Black you really shouldn't.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Black because warrenty. Or get a blue and a cheap ssd

Nothing.

On 29.05.2016 г. at 6:25 AM, DJG_FTW said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

My two cents on this: 

before deciding on specific manufacturer and model you should first consider if you really need a hybrid drive or a regular HDD would do the job. Do you have other drives in the system? What will be the usage of the drive? What will you be doing with the computer? Have you considered a SSD+HDD combination instead of SSHD? 

WD Black is a great performance drive designed and recommended for heavier and longer workloads. It comes with a long warranty and is quite reliable and good for most usage types. It really depends on what you are looking for in a storage drive. 

Hybrid drives in general offer great performance but they need time to "learn" what is mostly used so they can store it in the cache and everything else runs at lower-than-usual speeds compared to regular HDDs. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/